[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into Spinoza? Is it necessary that I read Descartes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Spinoza.jpg (406KB, 1377x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Spinoza.jpg
406KB, 1377x1600px
How do I into Spinoza?

Is it necessary that I read Descartes works first? I've just read opinions of him from other philosophers
>>
nobody reads spinoza, especial not titans of german letters

read infinite jest instead. more insightful
>>
Yeah you should read Descartes. Also look into Giordano Bruno.
>>
>>8417114
You just do it. Descartes could be a nice prelude but it's not necessary at all.
If you find a nice book with an historical introduction, that'd help you get on the book.

>>8417123
>>8417336
retards.

"It may really be said: You are either a Spinozist or not a philosopher at all."
Hegel
>>
Spinoza is garbage
>>
>>8417888
Retard

Reading a philosopher without knowing the major influences is pointless
>>
>>8417114
i would be acquainted with descartes but i don't think you necessarily need to read his works, just read his SEP article or something so you know the historical context and what issues/debates he's tackling (the most important for understanding spinoza is d's mind/body dualism, which spinoza critiques as a monist)
>>
>>8417955
Actually I'm sorry, I don't know what went through my head, this message was supposed to be for the first reply and I've added you in.

Sorry about it budd'
But reading Giordano Bruno as well might be excessive, the only thing he needs to know is that he influenced Spinoza in his representation of the universe as infinite and his death probably made Spinoza even more repulsed by Jewish religion and religions. When Spinoza was asked to back off with his ideas, he probably knew that he might suffer the same fate as Giordano but he didn't flinch.
>>
>>8417988
Ageeed, but Bruno's thought gives an interesting perspective on Spinoza's worldview if you want to become a true Spinozist. Yates' book on Bruno gives a decent outline of his views, with a bit of occult thrown in for good measure.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.