[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books that will rattle me to the core?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_m34qt01zqu1qd4n9xo1_500.png (171KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m34qt01zqu1qd4n9xo1_500.png
171KB, 500x375px
Books that are so profound, depressing, unsettling or strange, that will leave you with a lot of different thoughts on the book you just read? I'm talking REAL NIGGA books.
>>
Get your daddy to clout you with the family bible.
>>
>>8414834
History of decay
Book of disquiet
My diary desu
>>
>>8414834
The Room by Hubert Selby, Jr.

Synopsis: Man is in prison and dreams for 200 pages about ripping the testicles off of dogs.
>>
Naked Lunch (unsettling and strange)
120 Days of Sodom (EXTREMELY unsettling and strange)
The Fall (profound, depressing, unsettling)
No Longer Human (depressing)
A Country Doctor (not a book, but a short story by Kafka that is nonetheless an unsettling and bizarre read)
Coin Locker Babies
The Metamorphosis
A Crackup at the Race Riots

And that's all I can think of at the moment.
>>
>>8415069
Burroughs' life is more unsettling than his fiction imo
>>
The Anatomy of Melancholy by Democritus Junior
>>
>>8415316
Oh, absolutely. I think the fact that a lot of the bizarre, twisted elements of his books were actually based on things that happened to him in reality makes his fiction more unsettling. Accidentally shooting your wife and spending years traveling the world in a drug-fueled haze will make you a fucked up person.
>>
>>8414834
The Vegetarian
>>
File: BG__0005_7-590x787.jpg (158KB, 590x787px) Image search: [Google]
BG__0005_7-590x787.jpg
158KB, 590x787px
>>8414834
Give this bad boy a go.
>>
>>8414834
Derrida, Of Grammatology.
Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange - penguin modern classics edition (then watch Kubrick)
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller to see the absurdities of America's war machine.
And if you wanna see Clinton's inception in literature you'll read Ken Kesey's 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' - penguin modern classics.

peace
>>
>>8415334
>Accidentally shooting your wife
what part of pointing a gun at her and pulling the trigger was accidental, exactly?
>>
>>8414834
I've read Sade, Dostoevsky, Burgess, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and a bunch of other writers whose work people say have that affect on them. The only works to impart that 'holy shit I can't read another book for a week' feeling for me are Moby-Dick, Coriolanus, Paradise Lost, and Lolita.
>>
>>8415658
which edition of moby dick ?
>>
>>8414834
Journey to the End of the Night
Hunger
On the Genealogy of Morality
>>
>>8415670
Penguin classics. I think it's out of print
>>
>>8415459
He was drunk and imagined to performe a play IIRC
>>
File: 1470084714285.jpg (114KB, 394x479px) Image search: [Google]
1470084714285.jpg
114KB, 394x479px
>>8415459
>>8415701
It was a 'William Tell act', he put a glass on top of her head to shoot it off, missed and killed her
>>
>>8414834
1984 by George Orwell

When you see the parallels with the direction our world is going, this book becomes a terrifying prophecy in the process of being fulfilled.
>>
>All these entry-level recs
>>
Tell us your worldview first, OP. And something you've read before that you enjoyed.
If you don't know anything about a person how do you know what will shake them?
>>
File: polygondogedit4.jpg (936KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
polygondogedit4.jpg
936KB, 1920x1080px
There is some guy with a wattpad who gets intoxicated whether it be alcohol or marijuana or mushrooms or even LSD and writes short stories, I've read some of the ones he has not put on his wattpad and they are... odd.

https://www.wattpad.com/user/MostlyHetero

I anxiously await his future uploads desu.
>>
>>8415670
Which edition? It's written in English, so, assuming that Anglo is your native language, you should be able just to look at different editions on Amazon and choose the one with the critical apparatus most attractive to you (from 0 to Norton Critical).
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 500x428px
>>8417021
That guy would be a very interesting interview. About... Well, anything.
>>
Bodies that Matter by Judith Butler will throw you for a loop.
>>
>>8414834
Any Mishima
>>
>>8416968

Last book I read was Infinite Jest (not joking) and I really liked it.

I'm currently reading Notes from Underground.
>>
>>8414834
The idiot

I get how its more of a social commentary on Russian society but christ its sad to watch the people and their acceptable faults break a person so utterly and entirely
>>
>>8417220
Did you just begin reading?
>>
>>8417437

Reading classics/literature, yes.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.