[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FW Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (43KB, 429x696px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 429x696px
For all of the memeing about this book, I want to see some actual discussion with people who have read it/are reading it

I've been at it two months as a large reading project (been reading lighter stuff as an aside) with annotations, and it's slowly but surely becoming a favorite. That one audio of Joyce reading out a passage really gave loads of context as to with what voice to approach it, and with the aid of notes I have a general idea of the plot and characters, but the prose is fucking glorious

Any thoughts?
>>
>>8413882
hahaha you have to be a degenerate to appreciate anything by joyce. well, first you have to become learned, and then choose degeneracy from that position, you have to be always overcoming yourself, that is if you really want to get the sense of joyce. you have to expose your body to some rough shit at some point too, privation, starvation, alcohol abuse, you need to suffer.

fucking lol at the literal children who assume they can just stroll into the most bizarre orgies of literature and understand what they are seeing without holding a real stake in it.
>>
>>8413981
shit pasta
>>
>>8413882
givin this thread here a big FAT

B U M P
U
M
P
>>
>>8414285
Thanks lad

>>8413981
Oddly enough, this is the foreword to Finnegans Wake: Das Boot edition
>>
How far are you already? Ive always wanted to read it but it just feels like youre reading something that isnt even english. What did you read as preparation?
>>
>>8414847
Not op but ive heard theres a book called skeleton key to finnegans wake or something similar and that is a good place to start along with the actual book of course. I havent read fw or the other book I mentioned but after looking into it recently, thats what I plan to do.
>>
>>8414866
thanks i might have another go at it after all
>>
It's the only book I've never been able to force myself to finish.
>>
Post excerpts pls
>>
File: thunderwords.png (446KB, 7724x961px) Image search: [Google]
thunderwords.png
446KB, 7724x961px
>>8413882

I'll just leave this here.

Actually finding the other thunderwords on a web page (much less in the book itself) turned out to be a pain in the ass, so I made this.

For more on these words, see Marshall Mcluhan and/or his son Eric.
>>
>>8414847
>>8414866
My advice after actually finishing it several months ago is to not try to prepare yourself in any way. Read Joyce's earlier books first if you must, but going into it with the intent of trying to decipher the whole thing will almost inevitably ruin the experience. Just let it wash over you, figure out what you can on your own, and let the rest stay murky.
>>
>>8413882
is this the logical conclusion to "looking for meaning where there is none" meme?
>>
>>8415216
this. trying to figure out every single possible thing will drive you insane or just ruin the experience
>>
>>8414847
After two months, some 145 pages or so. There's really no preparing but oddly enough the Pound Cantos and Lewis Carroll's nonsense verse poetry aren't awful starts to get an idea for the sort of language you're going to be facing
>>8415216
>>8415866
While I do agree there's no point in getting pedantic about minutiae, it does help to have read his other stuff (if only to hype you up for FW).
>>
>>8415858
Worst post I have ever seen on this board
>>
File: dfw good sir.png (266KB, 475x430px) Image search: [Google]
dfw good sir.png
266KB, 475x430px
>>8415927
thanks for the (You)
>>
> implying anyone here actually reads
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.