[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you consider the cover of the book part of the aesthetic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 519dZ9dPLKL.jpg (35KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
519dZ9dPLKL.jpg
35KB, 333x500px
do you consider the cover of the book part of the aesthetic? like if a book has a really awful cover, does it bother you?
>>
yax2
>>
not at all, and i generally care a lot about aesthetics. as long as all the pages aren't cum stained i will read it. though bad album covers and band photos do bother me
>>
>>8412892
A book having an ugly cover doesn't really bother me. For example, I was able to get through the ugly ass Gabler's edition of Ulysses without really giving a fuck. However, if a book has a very plebby looking cover, like a picture from a live-action adaptation, then it will probably bother me and make me more prone to disliking the book to a very slight degree. also, if a book has a very nice cover, I might be more willing to pick it up and read in the first place. The Gravity's Rainbow blueprint cover is one of my fav's because it looks cool as fuck.
>>
File: no homo.jpg (289KB, 571x887px) Image search: [Google]
no homo.jpg
289KB, 571x887px
>>8412892
>if a book has a really awful cover, does it bother you?

yes
>>
>>8412892
yes to the 10000000000th degree. i do research on the book, to see what it's a about first, then browse the internet for every edition of the book until i find the one i like. Cover is a big part for me, its like buying clothes, they all do the same shit, but i want my style of clothes, if not i just wont be comfortable. had to contact customer service for online book stores several times cause they fucked up the book i ordered. .
>>
>>8412923
see, a cover like that makes me not even want to touch that book. I would be embarrassed to carry that shit around. doesn't matter how great the book is.
>>
>>8412935
As retarded as it sounds, I'm thinking of ordering another edition, I have that version on my book shelf but it's embarrassing.
>>
>>8412923
that's the most accurate portrayal of the iliad though desu
>>
>>8412939
fucking hell, i thought that was a photoshop, it's real...my goodness. wtf lol, do they not look at what they;re making?
>>
File: 1853262420.jpg (32KB, 312x500px) Image search: [Google]
1853262420.jpg
32KB, 312x500px
>>8412947
Yeah, I thought I was getting this edition. I thought I was being pranked when I opened my courier package.
>>
>>8412923
>>8412939
wtf i love wordsworth now
>>
If the cover is Wordsworth tier I might be bothered but I have some of my favorite books in ugly editions and I don't mind too much. I've got Blood Meridian in that terrible edition that gets posted here and it's still one of my favorites.
>>
By and large I always judge a book by its cover, unless it's a school assignment or I'm borrowing it.
If only a shit cover edition exists of a work I'm interested in that I end up loving, I usually replace it with something nicer once it is out and give the fugly one away.
Living in a capitalist society, the things we buy to define us should at least have the decency to be aesthetically pleasing.
>>
>>8412892
I like a book to have an appealing cover, good design, and good material quality, but it doesn't bother me if a book has none of those. It's not like I can see the cover while I'm reading the book, and I'll usually go for a worse cover and cheaper paper if it means saving a few dollars.
>>
File: milton_1722930c.jpg (23KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
milton_1722930c.jpg
23KB, 460x288px
>>8412892

>Using the Dore woodcuts for anything but Paradise Loft
>>
File: 1454155493633.jpg (29KB, 348x557px) Image search: [Google]
1454155493633.jpg
29KB, 348x557px
>>8412935
>>8412947
>>8413002
>newfags itt don't know about wordsworth
I wish I could still have your innocence…
>>
>>8413040
>Living in a capitalist society, the things we buy to define us should at least have the decency to be aesthetically pleasing
>buying books to define your personality
what the fuck, go back to williamsburg you human garbage
>>
>>8413050
What about the Divine Comedy?
>>
It's definitely part of the aesthetic, but:

spine aesthetics>cover aesthetics
>>
>>8413458
That depiction of satan is clearly not from The Divine Comedy
>>
>>8413464
I meant Dore's art
>>
>>8413634
I think he was saying you shouldn't use woodcuts that were made specifically for Paradise Lost for a book other than Paradise Lost.
>>
>>8412923

but anon thats exactly how greek warriors would have wanted to be portrayed and they'd probably hate your dumb bookish air-conditioned ass
>>
>>8413702
I don't give a fuck about what some Greek faggots thought of me. I want read an aesthetic book with a decent cover.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.