[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Immersion and prose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 4348214222_c5fe48f99c.jpg (136KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
4348214222_c5fe48f99c.jpg
136KB, 375x500px
Two questions for you, /lit/.

>1. Is it plebeian to be taken out of immersive writing by a single dud sentence?

>2. Can this be overcome?

I'm reading Ligotti at the moment and I knew what I signed up for. I checked my clenched anus at the door and got ready for some Lovecraft-tier writing with some Lovecraft-tier spookiness. Instead I get instances where a bouquet of flowers is referred to as 'vegetation' and multiple uses of the word 'gravid' where 'heavy' would suffice perfectly. Given the choice to use the right word or a lofty ten-dollar word he never fails to go with the latter.

Lovecraft was not a great writer, but he was not great consistently. I'd say Ligotti is the better writer overall but occasionally has such stinkers that I get knocked right of my flow. This is just a current example but it happens even in fantastic books- the best ones seem to just have huge intervals between immersion-shattering blunders.

I just want to feel spooked again, /lit/.
>>
>>8409710
It is plebeian to write dud sentences.
>>
>deep dish
Even when they're swimming the fatty has one thing on its mind.
>>
>>8409710

Is it plebian to be taken out of compelling music when a performer plays something wrong? Is it plebian to be taken out of an immersive movie by a terrible shot or line reading?

You've just got to accept that a lot of writers aren't 100% perfect. Either you deal with it or stop reading.
>>
it's pleb to be immersed at all
>>
>>8409710
gravid is like $3
>>
>>8409710
>I just want to feel spooked again, /lit/.
Based on your post, you already are. By the reddit-tier memers who keep posting half-assed apologias for genreshit.

The worst part is even you don't actually agree with them but want to feel unpretentious and thus force yourself to slog through shit you're not actually enjoying. You've become even worse than the thing they originally accused you of being.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.