[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the right order to read Aristotle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg (2MB, 1700x2275px) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg
2MB, 1700x2275px
What's the right order to read Aristotle?
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Aristotle-Desire-Understand-Jonathan-Lear/dp/0521347629
>>
>>8409302
I said Aristotle
>>
>>8409281
you don't.

t. john green
>>
Ethics, Physics, Metaphysics, On the Soul
>>
The Basic Works has a pretty common systematic way of studying Aristotle, you can check it here : https://chengfind.wpunj.edu/Record/335527/TOC

In general, you want to start with Categories and On Interpretation, which lead into the "proper" logical works.
Then the Physics, which lead into On the Heavens and On the Soul, and other, less read natural philosophy. Then the Metaphysics, which will prove a tough, taxing read but are always relevant.
Finally, the Nicomachean Ethics, Eudemian Ethics, and Politics.
>>
>>8410523
Thx dude, I'll go for that
>>
>>8409281
front to bakc ma nigga
>>
>>8410487
Oh god, did he actually say this?
>>
>>8409281
I read Politics, Nichomachean Ethics, and Metaphysics in that order. It felt right
>>
>>8411585
phil isnt about emotions, its about ratio
>>
>>8411585
I read there's a discussion over Eudemian Ethics being Aristotle's work. How is it different to the Nichomachean?
>>
>>8409281

1. Nicomachaean Ethics
2. Politics
3. The Organon (Categories -> On Interpretation -> Prior Analytics -> Posterior Analytics -> Topics -> Sophistical Refutations)
4. Physics
5. De Anima
6. Metaphysics
7. Poetics
8. Rhetoric

There's your basics anyway.
>>
>>8411605
Meant for>>8410523
>>
>>8410494
>no politics
>no poetics
Almost, famalam
>>
>>8409281
You should probably start with a really good book of modern scholarship on him. I've seen too many people who just read Aristotle and end up only properly understanding 1/3 of it with the rest all being gross misunderstandings.

>>8410494
There are two ethical works mate.
>>
>>8411608
Put Rhetoric at the end of the Organon and maybe move the Poetics to after On the Soul, and that's a very good order.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.