[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Everyman Library/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: BsgrkiWIEAACIJZ.jpg (40KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
BsgrkiWIEAACIJZ.jpg
40KB, 600x450px
Are these worth it? They cost around 8 - 20 dollars each. I own a few of them and they are great but that price point is a bit high. Are they worth the cash or should I switch to a cheaper alternative?
>>
>>8408759
Just get penguins or oxfords like a normal person.
>>
>>8408759
Define worth it?
Broadly, yes. The paper and binding make them more durable than most large series. Plus they often collect several works together that you'd either have to buy separately or, in some cases are currently out of print and you'd have to obtain in less than new edition. The ones that are translations are often - but not always, you'll have to do individual searches to find out each time - relatively new and of top-tier (but not unanimously tops o fall time) quality.
All that said, the notes and secondary materials tend to be of very limited scope in most volumes - because the idea is books for reading rather than scholarly editions - so, outside of an author and contemporary (with the book) chronology they always include, you often end up better with the newer penguins or oxfords that tend to aim at the lightly scholarly college intro class reading format.
>>
>>8408759
For American authors, you should try to find used Library of America anthologies. Those are probably the cheapest hardcovers on the market and usually have at least 3 of an author's books per volume,

For others, I don't think there's any cheaper alternative except something lolworthy like wordsworth.
>>
>>8408765

A fat penguin is beaten to shit by one reading and the cover will be falling off by the third, at least the way I read 'em.

They do great editions as far as notes, price, etc., but I've had to buy hardcover editions of the ones I handle regularly.
>>
>>8408797
I've never had a paperback fall apart on me. I don't break spines though, which might have something to do with it.
>>
>>8408797
You have to be gentle with paperbacks if you want them to last for any real amount of time. I try to put as little wear on the spines as possible while reading.
>>
>>8408759
I personally shell out a lot of money for books and don't mind doing so for nicer additions as I expect to keep them throughout my lifetime. I see books as a lifetime investment, so I personally think it's worth the price.
>>
>buying books

>Mfw I got a used ereader from my cousin for a symbolic sum of $1
>Haven't bought a book since

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever wasted money on a book
>>
>>8408994
then why the fuck are you here?
>>
>>8408797
Hold the book open with one hand using your thumb in the gutter or both hands on the edges of either page. It really isn't hard to read a book without completely destroying it.
>>
>>8409027
Because I still read?
>>
>>8409058
It's physically uncomfortable with bigger books if you're reading for 2+ hours at a time because of the uneven weight distribution, but yeah, it's not that hard or impossible.
>>
>>8408994
Eehhh, sometimes ebooks are outrageously expensive, compared to a used copy on amazon or in a bookstore. This is especially true for nonfiction, new releases, or textbooks. But if you primarily read works already in the public domain, ereaders are a great time and money saver.
>>
>>8409142
He's not talking about buying things. You can pirate nearly any ebook very easily on a couple of sites and irc channels.
>>
Why are books considered to be expensive if they're ~$20? I paid that for a hardback C&P and think it's a steal, I'll get use out of it for the rest of my life if I take good enough care of it. And then videogames are $60, I mean I guess it costs more to make a videogame, but as a consumer why are people willing to pay $60 for a game and not complain while $20 for a book is extremely expensive?
>>
I prefer getting hardcovers of books l plan on reading more than once, especially if they're fat. The few Everyman's books that l have are great, so l usually opt for them.

Speaking of which, l have a question. Does anyone have the Everyman's Monte Cristo or Ulysses? I've heard that their Monte Cristo is some kind of abriged edition, and the paper quality of Ulysses isn't as good as the rest of their books because it's just too fat. Is there any truth to this?
>>
>>8409083
>2016
>/lit/ board
>actually reads

Get a load of this fucker, guise! jaja!
>>
>>8409112
>not resting it on your lap or table

fucking moron
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.