[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is minimalism an excuse for lazy, uncreative writing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: minimalistpepe.png (9KB, 500x506px) Image search: [Google]
minimalistpepe.png
9KB, 500x506px
Is minimalism an excuse for lazy, uncreative writing?
>>
>>8407746
No: just like maximalism, minimalism is simply another way to communicate.
>>
It just means that the writer wanted to express a message clearly, without having his readers distracted. If there is no such message, then the answer is yes.
>>
>>8407752
so clear communication is the only thing that matters? isn't the form important?
>>
>>8407761
This works too, but on a more basic level.
>>
>>8407767
>so clear communication is the only thing that matters?
Not really what I was saying. I meant that, at it's core, minimalism is just a way to communicate, and that it's not inherently good or bad.
>isn't the form important?
Yes, very. There's no point in saying something if the way it's said doesn't communicate it, but there's no point in obsessing over how something is said if there's nothing being said either.
>>
>>8407746
sometimes, yes
>>
>>8408126
cite examples, please
>>
I write pretty minimalistically because as soon as I try to write anything longer it starts sucking balls. I'm working my way there, but minimalism is the best for now.
>>
>>8407746
no
>>
>>8407746
I think Camus used it fairly well in The Stranger, but it depends exactly on how you define it. Gaddis continually reduced the scope of his books too and I think he maintained a fairly consistent level of quality, but his writing style itself can't really be considered minimalist even when he keeps shrinking the settings and number of characters involved.
>>
>>8407746
The (arguably) best writers in dutch are minimalist desu.
>>
>>8408481
who are they, and are they available in English? I haven't read anything Dutch.
>>
I've been prone to writing maximalist passages, which, unless artfully done, are equally as lazy. Like describing the reason my character like his coffee black in 750 words in the middle of ordering from Starbucks
>>
>>8408488
I'm talking about Willem Elschot and Louis Paul Boon. Both don't write a word too much, and the main theme of their literature is the opposition between what seems to be and what is. The depth is mainly between the lines. I don't know what's been translated, but I enjoyed Kaas (Cheese) and Villa des Roses by Elschot and Menuet by Boon.
>>
File: 1471271562106.jpg (347KB, 1836x2462px) Image search: [Google]
1471271562106.jpg
347KB, 1836x2462px
>>8407746
writing too much can be lazier in some ways: anyone can dump their purse on the floor, but it takes restraint to keep things tidy. or you could look at it like chiseling away stone: minimalism will require more removal to get to a basic core. pic related.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.