[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English Romantic Poet Showdown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: wanderer.jpg (103KB, 494x598px) Image search: [Google]
wanderer.jpg
103KB, 494x598px
who BTFO's everyone else?

I'm putting my money on Keats, but sheepfucking Blake is a possible dark horse.
>>
blake is shit i cant believe people fall for the blake meme.

coleridge is clearly king
>>
>>8406933
shelley
>>
>>8406948
How is Blake shit
>>
>>8406948
kys
>>
>>8406933
Blake
>>8406948
Ungodly philistine detected.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (182KB, 756x944px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
182KB, 756x944px
Lord B. is in da house bitches
Shelley was great too.
>>
File: shelley.jpg (46KB, 651x800px) Image search: [Google]
shelley.jpg
46KB, 651x800px
>>8407326
totes, brah.
>>
Keats > Shelley > Wordsworth > Coleridge > Blake > Byron
>>
>>8409580
Keats>Blake>Coleridge>Shitty>Turdsworth>Whyron
>>
>>8409580
Blake is so far ahead of these I didn't even think to include him.
You have to be on the wrong side of retarded to consider any of them better than him.
>>
File: url.jpg (5KB, 190x266px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
5KB, 190x266px
The Irish liberator of course; last of the old masters, first of the new
>>
Its a win/win as they're all exceptionally good. Blake is especially visionary. Shelley is a personal fav. Keats was my entry level drug (Hyperion!). Coleridge is a master. Byron is a boss. Ain't got into Wordsworth. Saving Yeats, what I've read so far is fucking excellent.
>>
You should probably be reading Hazlitt for a perspective on this.
>>
File: 1463717147139.jpg (53KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1463717147139.jpg
53KB, 500x400px
Blake is easily one of the greatest poet in any language and none of the Romantics even touch him in terms of vision, but thanks to idiots like
>>8407302
he isn't fully appreciated for the master he was. If you think Blake's poetry is Christian you are a complete and utter idiot.

>>8410434
Fool.
>>
In terms of imaginative power, invention, and innovation it is obviously Blake. That said, a lot of his writing, including some of the major works (e.g. Tiriel), are intellectually shaky or abortive while others (e.g. Songs of Innocence) are prosaic and technically drab. He has nothing like the consistency of Shelley or Keats, who are - intuitively - the best poets of the generation.

Byron is obviously the most enjoyable and, even after several centuries, the academic community hasn't caught up to him. There are a couple of exceptions (e.g. Drummond Bone at Oxford, MH Abrams before his death) but most readers give up on Byron before they have glimpsed his full capabilities. At times, he achieves a proto-modernity which none of the others got close to. It's little wonder Yeats, Pound, Joyce et al. show a consistent attachment to him. He also has the rare distinction of being funny which - in the age of Wordsworth - is worth a lot.

Coleridge has moments of brilliance which we are all aware of and is otherwise mostly notable for his attempts at a critical/ideological framework by which to address romantic poetry. The Germans are lucky enough to have dozens of comparable examples, whereas we have to be thankful that Coleridge at least gave it a shot.

Wordsworth's decade of brilliance is in danger of being written off because our generation, and maybe even the prior one, associates him with the jejune, conservative rubbish he farted out for the rest of his career. That would be a hideous loss because some of his work prior to 1800 is some of the greatest in our language. I still contend that the 'Intimations Ode' (Intimations of Immortality, etc., etc.) is the finest philosophical poem in English since the metaphysical poets and has been unmatched since.

tl;dr they're all great.
>>
Byron is overrated. Just wanna put that out there.

Wilde though, obviously.
>>
based coleridge
byron is literal doggerel
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.