[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that after the publication of Ulysses, Joyce enjoyed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 20120331_bkp507.jpg (79KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
20120331_bkp507.jpg
79KB, 595x335px
Reminder that after the publication of Ulysses, Joyce enjoyed worldwide fame.

Reminder that Hemingway and Faulkner both won the Nobel Prize.

Reminder that Borges, though obscure for the first 50 years of his life, spent the remaining 30+ in a state of international stardom.

Reminder that, more often than not, if you have genuine literary talent it does get recognized in your own lifetime. There are exceptions, of course--Kafka, Melville--but they are just that, and not the rule.
>>
>>8406638
If you have genuine literary talent AND get published AND there is a demographic for what youre writing making it worth the publishers time to invest resources into spreading your work

I'm sure many, many great authors have lived, written, and died without ever being widely read.
>>
>>8406638
Very true. Getting published, enduring fame and notoriety as well as writing objectively good literature will make you one of the best writers of all time, I'm sure a lot of people here are good, but not great

Print media is dead, the only things getting published are trash. It's all about money, and in an ever shrinking market the reigns are really getting tightened. A lot of you lads are going to write decent stuff, but it will never see the light of day

James Joyce wrote Dubliners and got rejected for publish by 15 people
>>
>>8406675
>Print media is dead
>James Joyce wrote Dubliners and got rejected for publish by 15 people
Wouldn't this rather imply that it was never really alive?
>>
>>8406666

those fucking trips
>>
>>8407086
>trips
Huh. Math changed in the universe. Did I enter a dimension where 4 means trips? Spooky.
>>
>>8407103
well, you got quads, but there's trips in there too.
>>
>>8407080
Portrait was rejected by twenty-two and went through more than ten years of rewrites before it was published; only because of Ezra Pound.

It's not a question of the quality of the work but a question of the work being read and championed by someone of merit.
>>
>>8406638
Even Melville got some minor international recognition for his first novel.
>>
>>8407185
I complelty disagree. Joyce got it with Pound and then used his influence to get the book published. Because you know, anything that Ezra says is good must be good
>>
>>8407247
That's what I was saying. But it wasn't until Ezra said it was good that Joyce was able to get Portrait published.
>>
>>8407263
Sorry, I'm not the sharpest at the moment!! It's been a big couple of days

Honeslty couldn't agree more, as with everything I will probably ever do, I constantly ask myself "is anyone willing to pay money to see/hear/read produce?" The answer it always no and any realistic dream dies there. It isn't a matter of anything I do being trash it's a matter of nobody remotely caring about some eccentric guy who spends his spare time posting on a Latvian ten pin bowling forum
>>
>>8407270
I thought so too but I still self-published a book of poetry. After a poetry reading it is going to be sold in my city's art museum and was reviewed by a reporter for a national newspaper. Things are possible.
>>
>>8407281
That's pretty interesting, I've wrote a few poems lately as well. Hope all goes well with your book!!

How did you go about self publishing?
>>
>>8406638
>the literary market is today the same as before
Are you that dumb?
Also, what all the anons said above
>>
>>8406638
Reminder that we have no idea how many potentially great books and authors we have missed because they either were never published or vanished in obscurity without being read.
>>
>>8406675
>and in an ever shrinking market the reigns are really getting tightened
That's wrong, but sure, whatever you say.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.