[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are all of his protagonists the same?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

>>
>>8406010
>underground man
>Myshkin
>pyotr stepanovich
>raskolnikov
>protagonist of the double
All district characters
The only major similarity is between Myshkin and alyosha
>>
>>8406010
That's what happens when you project
>>
File: michel_houellebecq_gq_2014_511x.jpg (141KB, 511x683px) Image search: [Google]
michel_houellebecq_gq_2014_511x.jpg
141KB, 511x683px
>>
>>8406010
They're not. I suggest taking better notes; though I' Would like to ask what book of his you started off with? If it's anything other than notes, then I can see where you're coming from
>>
Humans tend to be similar. You'll have to be more specific if you want to make legitimate criticisms.
>>
>>8406054
I've Notes, Crime, and the Double.

And the sameness I'm referring to is that they are all hyperbolic manic wrecks who are one fit away from the insane asylum.
>>
>>8406075
That's most interesting people t b h
>>
>>8406075
>all hyperbolic manic wrecks who are one fit away from the insane asylum
that's just the essence of being a lit person
>>
>>8406010
Have you met Russians? They're literally walking stereotypes that all act the same
>Fucking pussy bitch, let me fuck you in ass you gay faggot
>>
>>8406075
Read Brothers Karamazov. You've just stumbled upon the more manic of his characters. There's an unsettling calculated nature to the characters in BK
>>
>>8406785
In my first reading of the brothers karamazov I thought that he was essentially prescribing various attributes of existentialism onto each character. Absurdity, angst, despair, authenticity, etc.

I haven't read any existentialist philosophy, to my shame, but I was also struck by the "unsettling calculated nature to the characters" as you put it. So I tried to find something to explain it. So I spent a lot of time reading the existentialist wiki and I got more and more convinced of it the more I read. That being said, I could be way off base, or I could just be pointing out the obvious.

His characters do tend to have a frantic way about them, but I think that the Russian character, at least then, based off other Russian novels I've read, is typically very emotional and prone to such behavior as displayed by Dimitri, and especially Ivan who, despite (or because of) being a so called rationalist, has a complete breakdown.

I'd really like to read it again, but it took me a very long time to get though. I found it to be a difficult novel, but next time I will be better prepared. I plan on learning more about existentialism in the mean time.
>>
>>8406075
His characters are studies in people internalizing and living intellectual trends of his era. How different would a devout red-piller, a tumblerina, and Sam Harris look, if you essentially made them all live what they believe?
>>
File: Jack-Kerouac.jpg (788KB, 1098x1589px) Image search: [Google]
Jack-Kerouac.jpg
788KB, 1098x1589px
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.