[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ Science Fiction and Fantasy Genera

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 42

File: Sffg Memes.jpg (1MB, 2544x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Sffg Memes.jpg
1MB, 2544x1900px
Home Grown Memes Edition

What meme did sffg get you to believe?

What sffg memes should be added to pic related?

What sffg memes changed your life or your view of life?

Which genre has the habit of creating the most memes?

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/

>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previously: >>8390221
>>
File: arthur-clarke.jpg (24KB, 283x300px) Image search: [Google]
arthur-clarke.jpg
24KB, 283x300px
>>8400703

Answers in turn

I'm not even sure what a meme is, so I will be working by the idea that it is a unit of cultural transmission.

SFFG memed me into reading Gene Wolfe. He is a writer of genuine literary merit, more so than many of the texts I studied at degree level. If fantasy is ever studied seriously, it will be Gene Wolfe first, before Tolkein.

Your pic lacks Arthur C Clarke, pic related

I share a surname with a Brandon Sanderson, and I still do a double take when people meme him, and refer to him by his surname only.

Fantasy produces the most memes because it has the most cliches at its worst, more so than sci-fi, which is a genre with more breadth.
>>
>>8400703
>What meme did sffg get you to believe?
Wolfe being worth reading
>>
>sffg memes that changed your life
In WoT the way the characters endure suffering was an important concept. I had learned it before I ever read the series, but I still give it credit because it recognized the phenomenon.

>Which genre creates the most memes
Typically the one with the most exposure and (due to volume of content and appeal to the masses [who, by sheer odds will have poorer tastes and therefore require a lower caliber of content for enjoyment]) largest audience.

E.g. Fantasy, anime, or Erotica. However, erotica isn't something discussed publicly, so there is no meme creation.

Fantasy and anime.
>>
>>8400703
Dystopic.
Orwell, Huxley, Burgess, even fucking Alan Moore will live on not through their works but through their memes.

(*not a criticism or an endorsement of any of these guys. 'cept Moore. fuck Moore.)
>>
>>8400961
>If fantasy is ever studied seriously, it will be Gene Wolfe first, before Tolkein.
Tolkien has already been "studied seriously" decades ago
>>
>>8400703

>Home Grown Memes Edition
no

no

>What sffg memes should be added to pic related?
no

>What sffg memes changed your life or your view of life?
just

>Which genre has the habit of creating the most memes?
no
>>
File: 9782070280353FS.gif (60KB, 318x500px) Image search: [Google]
9782070280353FS.gif
60KB, 318x500px
Best fantasy book ever
>>
File: 1037213341.jpg (112KB, 646x983px) Image search: [Google]
1037213341.jpg
112KB, 646x983px
>>8401070
The English translation is very good.
>>
>>8401002
>'cept Moore. Fuck Moore.
Why, what did he do?
>>
>>8401070
Why do "I surrender" fags think that everyone speaks their language?
>>
>>8401092
its basically English-lite
>>
>>8401092
I'm from Zürich, Switzerland, I'm not French.
>>
>>8400961
>Your pic lacks Arthur C Clarke, pic related
Clarke is not a meme, my much older friend with a mortgage and 2.1 kids.
He is talked about, but not bakker or Sanderson levels.
>>
>>8401101
Don't change the fact that you speak fluent "i surrender".
>>
>>8401114
HON HON HON
>>
>>8401114
>Don't change the fact that you speak fluent "i surrender".
Yes, because I'm educated in letters.
>>
>>8400534
It's easy for me to pick up this kind of thing locally, so I try to branch out.

Along with Emphyrio >>8399997, what are some other books featuring stultifying bureaucracy? Systems of government in place for so long that the organically arising and onerous restrictions are taken for granted, with noncompliance unthinkable. Another good example would be Asimov's Galactic Empire, particularly the bit regarding Standard Technology (came up in Prelude to Foundation?).
>>
GRI meme is the goat and changed sffg forever
>>
Can someone link me a good epub or mobi of The book of the new sun?
>>
>>8401513
It should be on tpb
>>
>>8401103
Clarke being good is a meme.
>>
File: george-rr-martin.jpg (31KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
george-rr-martin.jpg
31KB, 620x413px
The best fantasy is written in the language of dreams. It is alive as dreams are alive, more real than real … for a moment at least … that long magic moment before we wake.

Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab. Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end. Reality is the strip malls of Burbank, the smokestacks of Cleveland, a parking garage in Newark. Fantasy is the towers of Minas Tirith, the ancient stones of Gormenghast, the halls of Camelot. Fantasy flies on the wings of Icarus, reality on Southwest Airlines. Why do our dreams become so much smaller when they finally come true?

We read fantasy to find the colors again, I think. To taste strong spices and hear the songs the sirens sang. There is something old and true in fantasy that speaks to something deep within us, to the child who dreamt that one day he would hunt the forests of the night, and feast beneath the hollow hills, and find a love to last forever somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La.

They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to middle Earth.
>>
>>8401118
>my country is so culturally fractured you can't travel across it without learning a new language
>this makes me superior
>>
>>8401568
>tfw GRRM does go to middle-earth when he dies
>tfw he's drafted by the haradrim
>tfw they're everything he wrote about
>tfw he feels what he made his characters feel
>tfw getting dispatched by Faramir is a blessing
>>
File: GRI APPROVED.png (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
GRI APPROVED.png
61KB, 800x600px
>>8401413
My frond
>>
>>8400961
>If fantasy is ever studied seriously, it will be Gene Wolfe first, before Tolkein.
There are already university courses dedicated to studying Tolkien.
>>
> tfw you read a sci-fi book and get all this amazing but ephemeral imagery in your head so you look up artists interpretations for an attempt at grounding and get one or two decent, but far less so than your imagination, pieces and pages upon pages of sterile CG imagery and amateur deviantart pencil drawings and the fucking hacks who pretend like the 3D fractal landscape scene they just found is a spacecraft loading bay or an asymmetriad instead of the totally senseless arrangement of blobs and edges that you see before you

solaris was a cool book though
How are the movie adaptations
>>
>>8401640
Sanderson is the next Tolkien, at least mainstream wise.

As good as a writer as wolfe is, his sales and popularity isn't nowhere close as Sanderson.

In 2016 I'm seeing more and more people imitate Sanderson.. wolfe, not so much. The only thing stopping full Sandersonmania is his prudish ways.

In 30 years when Sanderson supposedly finishes his love child, he would have grown and developed as an author. I see he is slowly falling into the degeneracy meme as his books continue he is getting more and more daring.

I'm not sure if book 10 of stormlight will have Jaznah taking hot anal from kaladin or if wax's wife will ask him to plough her backdoor in mistborn, but I'm sure he will not continue this writing which is basically YA.

As his audience grows, his gri has to grow, from non-existent, to at least slightly moderate.

Sanderson may not be studied, but oh how he will be imitated.
>>
>>8401684
Nah, GRRM is the closest thing to a "next Tolkien", normies don't know Sanderson/Rothfuss/Wolfe/anything without a movie or show adaptation
>>
>>8400703

That the first law trilogy is worth my time.

That Rothfuss copypasta.

The one that got me to read gene wolfe.

Urban Fantasy is a mean genre, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>8401640
I took 2 of them in college over 4 years ago.
>>
>>8400703
Is there an official GRI list?
>>
so i'm 5 chapters into pandora's star and having a hard time continuing. does anything actually happen in this book?
>>
Late but,

>>8399661
>>8399822
Okay anon senpai! I'll be your friend. You seem cool and I didn't really mean what I said
>>
>>8401844
I think I quoted the wrong posts, this was directed to chart/26 year old anon.
>>
>>8401854
S-so you won't be my friend?
>>
>>8401070
I dont get it
>>
>>8400703
Rothfuss being shit and Sanderson being anime

Probably something about dinosaurs

None, I'm afraid, you guys aren't THAT influential ;--;

Books with self-insert protagonists
>>
>>8401863
You're my friend too senpai.
>>
>>8401684
What does "imitating Sanderson" mean exactly? Who is doing it?
>>
>>8401792
Nah, I tried last year but couldn't be arsed.
>>
>>8401929
That I know of? Powder mage author, and Anthony Ryan.
There are others but I don't read blatant fanfiction.
>>
>>8401929
The magic system in the Lightbringer stories is pretty "Sandersonian".

I think Sanderson picked those up from his mentor Dave Wolverton, but he really fixated on them and made that popular.
>>
>>8400961
This guy probably shits himself when we talk about Sanderson, and it's something that the poster has personally done.
>>
File: 1452937143545.jpg (13KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1452937143545.jpg
13KB, 255x255px
Reading The Martian, good lord it's painful, I'm at page 100 and want to put it down. But I never try to drop books, I'll persevere. This book version of Mark Watney is waaaaaay more annoying than Matt Damon's.
>>
>>8402005
If you don't like it, drop it.

I preferred the book because everyone was a little spergier than in the movie but there's no reason for you to waste your time if you don't like it.
>>
>>8402020
Usually there's always redeeming parts of a book that make going through it all at least worth doing. If anything I've found it was Mindy Park's character that's keeping me going, she's more interesting than the actual Mars situation in where Mark shows a complete lack of introspectiveness to deepen the idea of what's happening to him.
>>
File: mb02_symbols-webres.jpg (66KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
mb02_symbols-webres.jpg
66KB, 750x500px
>>8401961
Sanderson didn't create color-based magick and I highly doubt he made it popular seeing as Warbreaker is one of his lesser-known works.
>>
>>8402126
It's not the color-based aspect you autist
>>
/sffg/, I've been wracking my brain for months for a way to turn this setting in my head into a bunch of short fairytales.

The issue is that there are only six humanoid characters, and most of them are more walking plot-points than characters in their own right though maybe a fairy-tale from the perspective of the fortune-teller would be interesting. At most I can make maybe three stories from the lot of them

I can add two more human characters max due to what they're supposed to embody, maybe a third but that's really pushing it.

what do I do?
>>

That Bakker was readable.
>>
>>8402172
Some of us warned you.
>>
File: 28395479823_0f04cd394a_z.jpg (131KB, 362x640px) Image search: [Google]
28395479823_0f04cd394a_z.jpg
131KB, 362x640px
So after reading Gibson's Neuromancer years ago, I figure I'd give his second book a shot. Umm... It's pretty cliche, and even going back and re-reading bits of Neuromancer, it's a good book, but now with time and having read other cyberpunk, it's sort of 'been there done that'. Respect should be given I suppose since it was the first sort of it's time, but re-reading it and reading Count Zero seems like the cliches are just slapping you around... I'll stick with it, but Count Zero is not doing much for me...
>>
>>8401684
>GRI
Rape is at least mentioned in several of his works.
Also I thought for certain breeze was going to be gay, but nope, I guess not.
>>
>>8402214
>>8402214
Most of the elements should be familiar. Count Zero seems to be a recycling of components of cyberpunk that Gibson couldn't fit into Neuromancer. The CPU of the plot is the recycling of art that prompts the disparate characters, to form a strange team, parallel to the assorted art boxes. In Neuromancer, two AIs merge to form a God, by Count Zero's time, it had splintered into several spooky gods across the matrix.

It's not as intense as Neuromancer, but the extended inversions and scenes, tied by a unifying narrative, help round out Gibson's vision more than a flurry of disjointed short stories would. It's somewhere in between the format of a novel and a short story collection.
>>
File: index.jpg (9KB, 175x293px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 175x293px
>>8402312
Is the third book in the Sprawl series, Mona Lisa Overdrive, of the same ilk as Count Zero? I mean I don't want to bitch too much, it's entertaining, but just a bit disappointing considering all of the hype around Gibson...
>>
>>8402349
Gibson is insanely overhyped and easily the worst of the big-name cyberpunk authors.
>>
>>8402349
I should clarify that I like Count Zero. MLO is also cyberpunk chop suey like CZ. I did not feel attached to most of Gibson's characters, but some like le action girl Molly. If you want to see how her story turned, read it. If not, skip it.

Neuromancer covers a machine becoming God, and CZ is about a God that became gods. Without spoilers, MLO is in part about man using machine to simulate godhood.

One of the failing conventions of the cyberpunk genre is that it focuses too much on negative aspects of society, without attempting to offer contrapunctus. There's not enough joy, and when there is, it's frequently offset by something, like a snide observation about masturbation concerning cheerleaders.
>>
>>8402401
Who is the best in your opinion?
>>
>>8402401
>>8402422

And who are the other "big-name" cyberpunk authors?

So I can avoid them
>>
Am I the only one who wants to see Ruby as Finn and Handy as TR-8R?
>>
>>8402401
What is the best of the big-name cyberpunk authors? I've only ever read Gibson but I've definitely felt a "this is it?" with him. I love his world building but his storytelling is rushed and bland.

Please don't say Stephenson.
>>
>>8402417
That's why Stephenson was able to break the genre in 1995 with Diamond Age.

>>8402422
I would say Stephenson, but he was mocking it from the beginning with Snow Crash. People call PKD cyberpunk but he really wasn't in the movement, he just predicted it. Sterling I guess, Islands in the Net was pretty good. Shirow if you want to go a little wild.

Although I view cyberpunk as an inherently flawed genre for the same reasons >>8402417 mentioned, especially this doom-and-gloom future of oppressive megacorps and ReaganThatcher fascism that was sillier in its day than any wagon train to the stars Golden Age rocketpunk future. The best "cyberpunk" is either making fun of it or mining it for nostalgia.

Maybe a true fan can answer you better.
>>
>>8402429
>>8402448
>>8402450

Going to sound odd....but would you consider Huroki Muryikami as Cyberpunk? Or maybe alternative cyberpunk?
>>
>>8402456
Murakami, you mean? Not really. He uses the trappings of the genre sometimes to tell his own stories, but he doesn't actually engage with the effects of technology on humanity like cyberpunk tries to.
>>
File: 1q84.jpg (255KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1q84.jpg
255KB, 1280x800px
>>8402463
Yaa I figured, the only book I read of his was 1Q84, and it had very very subtle ..futuristic tones in it. or atleast dystopian tones, wasn't sure what his other books were like.
>>
>>8402166
You're gonna have to feed us more than that. Are there only six characters or are there more, but they aren't humanoids? What do you mean by fairy tales? Fantastical stories with a moral at the end? Myths explaining specific parts of the observed world? Why is there a limit on human characters? What do you mean by "embody?"

Do you have overarching goals for the kinds of stories you want to write? They don't have to be specific, but if what you want to write doesn't require many human characters you would be better off with less rather than more.

Got a sample story to share? If not that's cool, don't feel compelled to jot something down here and now. Maybe an outline of a story you might write could be helpful. Something to help guide our thoughts in the right direction so we can actually give helpful advice.
>>
>>8401569
>you can't travel across it without learning a new language
>Implying this is a bad thing
>>
>>8402422
The best cyberpunk is in anime, not literature.
>>
>>8401684
>As good as a writer as wolfe is, his sales and popularity isn't nowhere close as Sanderson.

Wolfe has been doing this shit since the 80s, he nothing to prove to these new fucks
>>
What are your favorite sci-fi and fantasy novels of the past 5 years?
>>
>>8402671
The only modern sci-fi/fantasy book I've read it KJ Parker's The Hammer. It was pretty good. I tend not to read the modern stuff because from the little samples I've flicked through in the shops, they don't interest me.

I'm usually put off by series, it seems every modern SFF book is part of an epic series.
>>
File: Dino Squad.jpg (92KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
Dino Squad.jpg
92KB, 950x534px
>>8402681
Pssstt
>>
>>8400961
>>8401056
Look up Gerry Canavan at Marquette University if you want to see some syllabi for English Literature classes he has taught using science fiction and fantasy.

It's fairly legit and goes beyond the "undergrads can practice writing about anything, including the hunger games" shit you occasionally see offered.
>>
>>8402703
Yeah I've read a lot of his stuff, that's why I said modern SFF.
>>
>>8402005
I know exactly what you mean. They really toned down the obnoxious reddit-level humor in the screenplay, thank god.
>>
>>8402653
Sadly, I think that anime, film, and video games do probably have the best examples of cyberpunk (though film essentially invented the genre, so it's not a huge surprise that visual media does the genre best). I'm hard-pressed to think of any really good cyberpunk books, I'm afraid that Snowcrash comes closest despite being as much a parody of the genre as it is an example of it.
>>
>>8402728
>>8402005
I have a unexplainable loathing for books that explain or point out their own puns in brackets.
>>
>>8402653
Only if you mean Bubblegum Crisis
>>
>>8402715
But Wolfe is a modern SF writer. He's just been a modern SF writer for a really long time.
>>
>>8402740
I meant the modern SFF novels from the past 5 years, that the other poster I replied to was talking about. Unless Wolfe has released a recent book then hit me up f@m I'll read that shit pronto
>>
>>8402747
He published a book last year, 'A Borrowed Man'
>>
>>8402703
Your shitty meme is a dinosaur.
>>
>>8402703
Dino anon you're the best

Never change
>>
41 fucking times in one book. This is driving me insane.
>>
>>8402798
*tips knit cap*
>>
File: 16151616.jpg (3KB, 107x125px) Image search: [Google]
16151616.jpg
3KB, 107x125px
>>8402798
>1,687 pages
>>
>>8402809
The actual book is like 1250 pages, this shitty pdf is just what I use for reference.
>>
>>8402816
I'd papercut the tip of my peepee before I'd read 1250 pages of Sanderson
>>
>>8402798
[tugs braid]
>>
>>8402823
At least he altered the verb tense and made it exclusive to one character and set of emotions.

It's almost as if Sanderson has asperger's and copied the technique but didn't understand what it was meant for
>>
>>8402834
>It's almost as if Sanderson has asperger's
But that's why we love him. He has a half-pound of creativity and a metric ton of focus. He's probably one of the most hard-working authors in the genre, and he does take criticism. In ten years he'll be a monster, in twenty he will have left this plane of existence, returning only once a nanosecond later to drop off a shipping crate of finished manuscripts at his publisher.
>>
>>8401684
Sanderson only has clout in fantasy circles, if anybody can lay claim to being Tolkien 2.0 it's GRRM. He's got the mainstream exposure and appeal to stick around in the public consciousness for a while yet. If he actually manages to finish ASoIaF (which I doubt he will) then he could cement his legacy for the next 100 years probably.

More likely he will die before book 7 is even near done.
>>
>>8402846
>half-pound of creativity and a metric ton of focus
That sounds like a terrible combination. Especially when you consider that he doesn't have even an ounce of writing talent.
>>
>>8402858
It's a great combination for making steady income and building a readership base. Just look at John Grisham. The guy has put out like a book a year since 1989 despite being both a lawyer and a politician.
>>
>>8402858
He's the Rock Lee of fantasy authors.
>>
>>8402875
A nurutu reference, how befitting Sanderson
>>
>>8402733
Altered Carbon
>>
>>8402890
I think that one's better than most in the genre, but falls far short of being really good. And the sequel is garbage.
>>
>>8402898
Lord of Light? Finished it a while back, would say it laid the foundation for the genre.
>>
>>8402910
Interesting, never thought of it as part of the genre (or a precursor to it).
>>
>>8402798
I swear to God in Way of Kings a character reflects twice on the fact that parshendi aren't like other parshmen and then thinks, 'huh, I guess their cousins over in the Shattered Plains must be different.' I can't source it, but I swear this interior monologue happens twice, not sure if in the head of the same character.

Sanderson just has no economy or pacing at all, there are repetitions and pointless passages full of neither plot nor character development nor anything and it all reads like a draft in need of editing. This eyebrow-raising, chin-rubbing, sniffing shit is part of it.
>>
just finished Book of the New Sun and after looking up reviews of it I realized I'm fucking retarded and didn't get any of it. what are some other sci-fi/fantasy books that normies will require handholding and dissertations to understand?

seriously though did he kill Little Severian, what the fuck.
>>
>>8403029
Other Wolfe books? Classics?
Best Wolfe like things are those that influenced him, Melville, Proust, Vance, Borges, Chesterton.
>>
>>8403044
I'll look into Borges, I keep hearing that name pop up. What are some other high level sci-fi/fantasy novels that are single POV with an unreliable narrator? I've been getting into audiobooks lately while multitasking and its a lot easier when it isn't jumping around from farmboy with magic sword to rebellious noblewoman to disgruntled soldier etc.
>>
>>8402448
Mamoru Oshii desu
>>
>>8403045
If you want some hardcore first person Wolfe type novels, why the heck would you want to multitask?
As for first person, Amber Cronicles are pretty easy to follow and are first person. This Immortal too, Zelazny liked that kind of narration.
Dick isn't exactly fp, but he doesn't jump around.
As for unreliable narration in sff, I don't know of anyone who does it except Wolfe. I know people claim Rothfuss does, but that's just an excuse for his shit writing.
>>
>>8402448
Jeff Nun, Rudy Rucker, Bruce Sterling
>>
What are some good scifi books that focus primarily on humanity's first steps in interstellar travel, colonization and discovering the unknown in a time where space flight is still dangerous? I.e. not some high-flying space opera bullshit.
>>
>>8402890

Is that the one with the pacifist samurai mercenary protagonist?
>>
>>8403406
Literally all of Lem's space stuff.
>>
>>8403430
(cont)
Except Ijon Tichy stories and Cyberiad, that would be too humoristic.
>>
>>8403406

Baxter did a whole string of books about uber-technical near-future space travel but they all got pretty waylaid by catastrophes. There's some great in-depth stuff in there about spaceship design and technology but just get used to "and then earth exploded" or "the universe ended".
>>
After reading WoT, Mistborn and Wizard of earthsea, fantasy magic is now ruined.

Why do all magic systems seem to be handwavium? It's so frustrating. Does anyone have some suggestions of series with consistent laws and explanations for magic?
>>
>>8403474
>consistency
>explanation
>magic
That's just medieval ESP, dawg. Read Face in the Frost and get back to me.
>>
>>8403474
Genuine question, where on the spectrum are you? People that don't understand that a consistent magic system is oxymoronic are the fantasy equivalent of people who want the book to explain to them how the hyperdrive works in science fiction: it isn't real, so at some point it's going to be made up or inconsistent with reality. Them's the breaks.
>>
>>8403474
Robert Jordan begat Brandon Sanderson, who begat Brian McClellan. Look 'em all up on Amazon and check out the "users who purchased these also bought" section.
>>
>>8402671
Last Dragon by JM McDermott
The Folding Knife & Sharps by KJ Parker
The Aspect-Emperor books by Bakker
>>
Sage in all fields. Science fiction is shitty, this board is called /lit/ not /shitty genre fiction board/.
Please fuck off with your clutter and go make your own website, nerds. We are discussing Ulysses here.
>>
>>8403740
(You)
>>8402671
Umm The Land Across, Sorcerers House and A Borrowed Man? Didn't really read anything good outside of Wolfe.
>>
>>8403638

There's a difference between internally-consistent rules and "hurr magic doesn't exist in real life don't complain"
>>
File: Muh List.png (169KB, 1586x700px) Image search: [Google]
Muh List.png
169KB, 1586x700px
>>8403474
I think there are some books like that here... I haven't updated this list since 2013.... and I'm still putting it off.

A lot of the books are shit, I'm on my tablet so i cba to highlight books like I used to.
>>
>>8403761
Yes, one is fantasy and the other is science fiction.
>>
>>8403740
ikr shows you how many plebs are on the board that sci-fi gets so many replies. i think we should ban them desu
>>
>>8402959
It's several different characters having that same inner monologue several times. He's pulled this shit into such a thin sheet that he can't even remember what's going on anymore.
>>
>>8403775
Hiro already made the rules concerning this.
We aren't talking fan fiction, philosophy, christposting, nihilistposting, or polposting.

We are allowed... some of the threads you guys have in outer lit atm is against the rules though... maybe sffg should get yall banned....
>>
>>8403816
Don't respond. Outer /lit/ either doesn't come here or assimilates; those are lonely /sffg/ posters trying to get responses.

I know this because I am psychic.
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56KB, 537x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56KB, 537x540px
>>8402798
*raises eyebrow*
MY GOOD MAN, LET ME EDUCATE YOU ABOUT THE PHILOSOPHY OF HERPA DERP

>>8403474
>Mistborn
>handwavium
>>
>>8402798
*taps cheek*
>>
>>8403881
>those are lonely /sffg/ posters trying to get responses
Is that what dino anon does?
Shitpost to get (you)s?
Is yous the equivalent of redhit's upvote?
>>
>>8403896
>MY GOOD MAN, LET ME EDUCATE YOU ABOUT THE PHILOSOPHY OF HERPA DERP
Why do I feel this is the soother from the first mistborn(the guy that wore the suit)... or wayne in "costume"?
>>
>>8403881
What the fuck is this "outer /lit/" meme even supposed to be? I post in this thread as well as several other threads on /lit/ every day. Of course most threads on /lit/ don't tend to be "generals" like this one, although the same topics due tend to recur over and over again, because the same classics remain perennial favorites.
>>
What is this gripe with Bakker all about? I've started reading his works not long ago and on The White-Luck Warrior at the moment. Other than some hard-going prose at times, I find his world and subtext interesting, if rather obscure.

I don't really read a lot of fantasy in general, but if anyone can recommend anything in a similar vein, I would be intrigued.
>>
>>8404272
>What the fuck is this "outer /lit/" meme even supposed to be?
Self supposed ghettoisation of the general by plebieans
>>
File: arelon_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (570KB, 1640x2438px) Image search: [Google]
arelon_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
570KB, 1640x2438px
>>8404189
Because Breeze and Ham talked philosophy all the time in the original Mistborn trilogy.

Wayne was more about looks and accents to fill a proper role but Wayne himself doesn't seem to give much of a fuck about philosophy.
>>
>>8403638
>>8403761
Exactly, I don't care if a wizard can shoot flaming goats out of his ass, but at least have consistency in the universe in how it works.

>>8403896
I know it's not handwavium, that was the point I was making. Those books have good, consistent and well explained and reasoned magic systems. Everything else feels generic as fuck and super vague when it comes to magic.
>>
>>8402671
I liked Mark Lawrence's second series, The Red Queen's War

nothing mindblowing but bretty gud
>>
>>8403029
how bout using a spoiler you fucking piece of shit little fucking shitstain subhuman
>>
>>8405457
That's not really a spoiler idiot. You aren't even sure if it happened.
>>
>>8402005
I'm on the same boat, I'm very close to dropping this. How an author could write 400 pages of this drivel and get it published... I hate to think what the editor had to do to make it presentable.
>>
>>8405501
Not surprisingly it was originally self-published

Why does popular fiction always seem to be terrible?
>>
What does /sffg/ think of Trudi Canavan?
>>
>>8405515
It's easily digestible. Like >>8402052 said, there's literally no introspective insight into the characters, no sense of tackling the situation on a level that would be believable of a man stranded on Mars. I don't care who you are - you can't live on your own on Mars for half a year on the brink of death and act like the posterboy for 'IFuckingLoveScience'.

The book is a sci-fi b-movie, Guardians of the Galaxy or Army of Darkness with a torrent of the author's knowledge (proving desperately that yes, he is most likely an Engineering major and/or Botanist too!). This is why the movie is just better, it compacts all this shit into an easy hour and a half.

To top it all off, it's written very simply. There's no interesting techniques or flourishes in vocabulary; it has the prose of a Buzzfeed article.
>>
>>8405527
>(proving desperately that yes, he is most likely an Engineering major and/or Botanist too!)

Close, he studied compsi but dropped out to work for computer companies in the 90s and wrote the webcomic "Casey and Andy" which I vaguely remember from when I was a young teenager..
>>
>>8401878
>Rothfuss being shit and Sanderson being anime
Both of those are true.
>>
>>8405522
Self insert fantasy for women
>>
>>8403439
I think those two are perfect for that. Yeah, they're funny and rather silly, but I still think they retain that unsure sense of exploration.
>>
>>8405522
Age of white, black magician
Keep penis in hand while reading
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>8404973
I misread your post, I thought you were calling mistborn and the others inconsistent.
Lightbringer, Dresden Files and Felix Castor all have consistent magic used.
>>
File: paul-lehr.jpg (894KB, 887x1200px) Image search: [Google]
paul-lehr.jpg
894KB, 887x1200px
What are some cool scifi blogs you follow?

I have been going through the articles on theporporbooksblog.blogspot.com and futurewarstories.blogspot.com and am totally interested in more. Old scifi, modern scifi, general scifi themes, scifi movies, scifi games, scifi art, etc.
>>
>>8406541
The Castalia House blog does a lot of pulp reviews, and I think they started the "read Appendix N" thing that's been going around.
>>
>>8406541
Scalzi's blog is cool.
>>
>>8406632
>>8406744
Equal and opposite cancer
>>
>>8406780
Scalzi and Vox Day are equal and opposite. The Castalia blog is relatively inoffensive and one of their writers is actually a Swanwick and Abercrombie fan.
>>
>>8406814
I think jscalzi would actually be quite pleased to be described as the polar opposite of VD.
>>
I know audiobooks aren't really /lit/ but I was hoping someone has an idea of where to get the audiobooks of that Jim butcher series. I can't remember what it's called, but it's sort of like a Roman setting and there are world devouring bugs and the MC turns out to be the emps son or some shit, I tried a while ago but had no luck at all.
>>
>>8406868
Don't read Jim Butcher.
>>
>>8402653
anime gets it wrong.
>>
File: 26114463.jpg (139KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
26114463.jpg
139KB, 314x475px
A solid 4 stars on Goodreads but 3 of the first 5 reviews are one star (1 of the 2 others is by the author)? Let's take a look.

>The three suns hanging on a chain about his throat tried to gleam, but the clouds in the crying sky told them no.
>Mia sighed. Took her temper by the earlobe and pulled it to heel.
>If her face were a puzzle, most would put it back in the box, unfinished.
>She introduced her boot to his partner's groin, kicking him hard enough to cripple his unborn children.
>Mia caught her temper by the collar, gave it a good hard shake. Clearing her throat, she brushed her crooked fringe from her eyes.
>Tric gave another half-hearted stab, but the beast had forgotten its quarry entirely, great eyes rolling as it flipped over and over, dragging its bulk back below the sand, howling like a dog who's just returned home from a hard turn's work to find another hound in his kennel, smoking his cigarillos and in bed with his wife.
>They're led by a dozen camels, Tric. A noseless dog could follow this trail of shit in the middle of truedark. If they suddenly start trekking faster than a forty-a-turn smoker with an armload of drunken prostitutes, I think we can find them again.

somebody call NASA and the ESA and JAXA and get them to look for my sides.
>>
>>8406876
http://thog.org/thogmatic.php
>>
>>8406870
Y-you too anon.

>>8406876
What the fuck did I just read.
>>
File: kcgreen.png (22KB, 169x233px) Image search: [Google]
kcgreen.png
22KB, 169x233px
>>8406884
I got a quote from a Philip K. Dick story about a man shooting pigeons out of his penis.

what the christ.
>>
So I got some of my mum's books she doesn't want in the mail and in there is a fantasy trilogy called the Spirit Walker series by Kate Elliott.

It's some pretty high-level garbage fantasy and it'd probably trigger the fuck out of half of 4chan. The first book at least had an interesting plothook and kept me going, despite the whole thing being written in first person.
>>
>>8406868
Google it. The name is codex alera.
>>
>>8406876
>She introduced her boot to his partner's groin
Umm... is this another broken earth book....
>>
>>8406944
I read Black Wolves by her a while back and thought it was good.
>>
>>8406884
>Unorthodox Chess Dept. '"... Listen, rook to bishop nine. Check it out. Think I've got you, you bastard." [...] Chris studied the board for a moment, moved the piece and felt a tiny fragment of something detach from his heart and drop into his guts.' (Richard Morgan, Market Forces, 2004) [
>>
>>8406955
Yeah that's the one. I was kinda hoping someone had a torrent since I couldn't find one. I would happily pay for audiobooks, but not when it's the same fucking price or more as a hardcopy.
>>
>>8406944
I read 5+ complete female fantasy authors series(including 20 books of the Anita Blake series, 13 of another, and 10 of another).

You're 3 books are small time.
>>
File: sophisticated adults.jpg (15KB, 252x233px) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated adults.jpg
15KB, 252x233px
>>8406965
>including 20 books of the Anita Blake series

A fine choice.
>>
>>8406964
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Codex+Alera+audiobook+%22torrents%22
I already saw the torrent on the first page.
>>
having a hard time finding decent books with actually alien aliens or machines. i've read the usual ones and now pretty much everything i try is just humans and modern sensibilities in a humanoid shell.
any suggestions?
>>
>>8406962
The second person angry cursing Indian perspective is woefully underutilized.
>>
>>8406973
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.
>>
File: kneesweak.jpg (29KB, 680x588px) Image search: [Google]
kneesweak.jpg
29KB, 680x588px
>>8406965
>Anita Blake
>20 books
>wiki says there are 25 total

what the fuck how is this possible jesus christ

ar-are they a-any good? I don't usually re-read urban fantasy, but if there ar-are that many surely they must be good, r-right?
>>
>>8406884
>Exotic Future Profanity Dept (Grindhouse Division). 'That pair of toad droppings are trying to kill my ass!' 'Oh, bloody monkey-grinding CRAP!' 'What the bleep does it matter to a mother-grinding bear what I'm wearing!' 'Crapping mother-grinding lobsters!' 'What a monkey bleeping dry-dock you are!' 'Okay, you piece of monkey crap. You are under lobster-grinding arrest.' (all Carleton Grindle, 'Star Guard', Fall 2010 Startling Stories) [DL]
>>
File: 1470269429418.jpg (65KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1470269429418.jpg
65KB, 500x375px
>>8406967
It's basically porn at this point, did the thing the WoT anon couldn't and cut my losses.

Instead of reading continuously and hoping it would get back on track to what attracted me to the other books in the first place.

It was about vampires, zombies and werewolves... sometimes a zombie raising vampire.. and Anita's legal licenses to kill all 3.. her pussy got in her way though, and it became how many dicks she could fit in all her orifices at once ... not even joking.

She fucked up big time though, because I think Marvel bought the rights to her books and made a comic. She could have been swimming in money when the movie was inevitably made... but no body is gonna watch a movie where she fucks vampires and werewolves.
>>
File: 1453698306227.png (643KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453698306227.png
643KB, 960x720px
>tfw pick up the Obelisk Gate because of the modern fiction chart
>tfw the loli and the Guardian together is somehow as cute as a fuck despite the age gap
>tfw the characters and the plot are actually surprisingly good with a nuanced magical and scientific basis and I enjoyed the acknowledgement that the ANS actually exists and jargon doesn't get memed too hard

>tfw pick up Tigana
>tfw 'the resistance' is literally the most cancerous reddit and tumblr sjw fusion in existence and gets so TRIGGERED over the fact that they can't say a place name that they become terrorists and hypocritically enslave a wizard to the point of suicide
>tfw a guy literally kills a relative in a dungeon rather than cutting off two of his fingers
>tfw fuck the prince
>tfw the prince's mother is absolutely the most awful and cancerous abortion of a stronk character
>tfw Brandin did literally nothing wrong, willingly gives up his kingdom, gets his name fucking slandered by the sjws because 'no we can't let him look heroic' and gets completely shat on by the plot
The Tigana experience is the first time that I've ever wanted the protagonists to hoist and literally kill themselves. Why is Kay such a cuck?
>>
>>8406973
Out of the dark by weber
Books by Neal Asher
Books by BV Larson

Please actually check the books before you cry some inane bs about ya or w/e that autistic anon spews.
>>
>>8406976

They started out as schlock horror-fantasy action shit and just became more and more sex-oriented until you realized the author's just ridiculously horny.

One time I read a book written by a married woman about a girl who fucks a centaur. Then they had a daughter and she wrote a book about her, using her real-life daughter as a basis. This included her having sex with angsty teenage demon boys too.

There's some horribly straightforward female author fantasy stories out there.
>>
>>8406976
Stop at obsidian butterfly also read here >>8406987
>>
>>8402834
>>8402820
>>8402823
>>8402816
>>8402798
If someone has a complete wheel of time epub, they should get a ctrl+f for 'smoothed her skirts' or 'tugged her braid' going, surely it would be in the thousands.
>>
>>8406987
>Nobody is going to watch a movie where she fucks vampires and werewolves

Got some bad news for you son, that would sell like hotcakes.
>>
File: Autism Chart.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Chart.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>8406979
The anon in the cussing thread that said he likes censored books would probably love this.

Unless that's a comedy, that book looks cringe worthy, just pull the Sanderson route, and use the evil/bad things of your world as cusses.

It's obvious if you lived in a world where once a month giant bunnies came down the mountain and raped any females out in the open "rabbit" would be a word to swear by.

I don't get the autistic cunts here who cry about Sanderson
>the world is not earth
>the people do shit earth people cant
>have animals and beings different to those on earth
>developed and had different plagues than that which blighted earth
>expect earth like cussing and profanity
How daft are you?

Autists of sffg that bitch about earthlike profanity in an alien world, how many do you identify with in pic related?
>>
>>8407022
I don't like profanity but it doesn't ruin anything for me. Moderns are pretty uninspired in their vulgarity anyway.

I do wordfilter my browser, though, so I guess I censor books myself if I read them in HTML.
>>
>>8406990
Glad you enjoyed obelisk gate (chart anon here), but damn you fast if you finished it already.

It only came out yesterday.
>>
Speaking of women and supernatural fiction, opinions on Anne Rice?
>>
>>8407016
Maybe why she threw her entire plot, and character traits out the window, to get the twilight fans?
But I was talking about people that bought the comics.

I laugh when movie studios cater to the people that don't even read their comics, then cry about sales/poor turn out when it flops.
>>
File: 1451714012886.jpg (37KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451714012886.jpg
37KB, 1280x720px
>>8407028
I was unable to sleep without first finishing it.
>>
>>8406973
Solaris.
>>
>>8407030
I disliked Rice's books. To me it appeared as if it lacked a plot, characterisation and substance.
However I greatly enjoyed Black Sun Rising (as in the charts): the prose, the characterisation and plot twists appealed to me.
>>
Weekly reminder that you should read holy "punk" trilogy:
Difference Engine
Neuromancer
Windup Girl
>>
>>8407070
Daily reminder that Neuromancer is a novel with with weak b movie charactrrs, plot, absence of a meaningful theme and god awful prose, the aesthetic which was coppied to death is the only thing it can offer.
Ghost in the shell is superior in every way and reading neuromancer is a waste of time.
>>
>>8407089
>Ghost in the shell
>>>/a/
>>
>Wolfe's version of Faerie is both allusive and elusive...
This is on the cover of Gene Wolfe's The Knight but I'm confused about what exactly 'Faerie' is?
>>
>>8407208
www.google.com
>>
Any of you guys enter the Bard microfiction thing? The acceptance letters have gone out apparently.
>>
>>8406973
The Sparrow
>>
>>8407208
Able is a mary sue
>>
File: 51W2VdxO0wL.jpg (34KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
51W2VdxO0wL.jpg
34KB, 326x500px
The last 40 pages of this were surprisingly bad.
>>
>>8407785
He is not. He's a dying boy's last fantasy.
>>
>>8408532
That seems a bit far fetched
>>
>>8408537
Read the framing device again.
>>
>>8408549
It's a very long thing for a boy to write.
Unless it's an afterlife. That would make sense.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-17_16-47-05.png (134KB, 1156x378px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-17_16-47-05.png
134KB, 1156x378px
>>8408561
>>
>>8408532
That doesn't make him less of a mary sue.
>>
>>8408788
It isn't really even a problem.
>>
>>8408792
I disagree
>>
>>8408811
It's an Arthurian novel, I don't see why it would be problematic. He has enough personally to carry the story and it makes sense. It isn't there for a self insert.
>>
What's everyone reading?

Finished shades of grey, want some gri.
>>
File: 1466381766906.png (48KB, 853x543px) Image search: [Google]
1466381766906.png
48KB, 853x543px
Just finished The Great Ordeal.

Pretty fucking good, I loved the entire Ishterebinth arc. I still think I prefer The White-Luck Warrior but it was a fantastic addition to the series, even if it was probably the most flowery of all of the books thus far. I don't know how he even planned on incorporating The Unholy Consult and this into one volume; I don't think it feels like an incomplete book at all.

>Is the No-God Nau-Cayuti?
>Did anyone else miss the entire nuke thing? I honestly got it after reading about it online. It wasn't really clear though I guess it makes sense in hindsight.
>What the fuck IS Kellhus? The true Savior? Does he actually give a fuck? Him going back to Momemn seems to imply he's more human than I thought
Koringhus anheroed because he thought it was the best way to the Absolute and because his entire world was a lie, right? Why was his leap "his"? All of that chapter was dense as fuck and I feel stupid because I didn't understand all of it
>>
>>8409300
Ishterebinth arc was fucking fantastic. Eerie and horrific in equal quantities. Sorwheel grew so much as a character, he might actually do the impossible and win best girl.

1.It certainly seems that he is. Got a lot of hints dropped about it.
2.It didn't click for me until Kellhus starts talking about radiation sickness, but I have no idea how Kellhus would know about that.
3.I think its an interesting aspect of the series as a whole. Is he the savior, if the gods cant even understand the No-God or the Consult? Especially since hes such a horrific monster at times.
4.My understanding of this was that he chose the Quirri knowing it would cause him to an hero. Also you should note how his description of the god as Zero, lines up with descriptions of the no-god
>>
>>8409300
>>8409337
I kind of want to know if Aurax/ng, whichever one was there, survived the nuking. I don't remember him being mentioned again after it happened.
>>
File: Tales_from_the_Great_Turtle.jpg (25KB, 300x505px) Image search: [Google]
Tales_from_the_Great_Turtle.jpg
25KB, 300x505px
>>8409294
Some of them are okay, others are pretty bad.
>>
>>8405929
What's wrong with Rothfuss?
I barely talk to people who take their taste in novels seriously and can't rememeber anything specific from the novels that stood out as bad.
>>
>>8409348
As far as I can tell from fan discussion Aurang's presence triggered the nuking or at least had something to do with its detonation. Nothing is mentioned after he and Saccaree's confrontation so I assume he either got killed or knew that the shit was coming so he bailed out of there. Not like Gologotterath is that far away.
>>
>>8409354
Actually, to change the type of responses I get, I should probably rephrase that as "What are some criticisms and examples of poor writing concerning Rothfuss?"
>>
>>8407016
Pirates XXX but with women getting DP'd by werewolves instead of guys in Jack Sparrow costumes.

You could even cut the porn out and sell it as a direct to DVD ripoff of Underworld.

>>8409354
It's power fantasies for teenagers/manchildren.
>>
>>8409294
I'm about a third of the way in Small Gods, first time reading Pratchett. I enjoy the setting being sort of middle eastern-Mediterranean and while it is indeed funny I'm not balls to the walls laughing out loud like people usually claim Pratchett makes you do.
>>
>>8409352
>piers Anthony
Not sure if want
>>
File: piers anthony.jpg (63KB, 500x798px) Image search: [Google]
piers anthony.jpg
63KB, 500x798px
>>8409548
No?
>>
>>8409557
>the colour of her panties
Was this book written by Brook from one piece?
>>
>>8409459
Oh, that is a good point.
>>
>>8409463
Small Gods is probably the least funny book he ever wrote. It's supposed to be the deepest, too, but I read it when I was 10 so I have no idea.
>>
>>8409612
I've never heard of anyone describing Pratchett as balls to the walls laughing out loud though, have you? More like "warm humor" or the like.

I think anon should adjust his expectations
>>
>>8409626
Every now and then there's an aside or a footnote or just some stupid pun that's 110% cheeky and I have to close the book from laughing too hard, but you're right, it's mostly sensible chuckles.
>>
>My book SOMEWITHER is up for an award this years, and I am soliciting your vote. If you are unable to read the book in time to vote, I will read it for you, and call you on the phone to summarize it to you.
Why is John C. Wright such a class act?
>>
>>8400703
time to wipe the Book of Amber off of the recommended reading list, what a hunk of shit
I read about 400 pages of the first book. It took way, way, WAY too long before the protagonist would admit that he had amnesia and exposition could begin. Jesus Christ, that was the most frustrating 250 pages I have EVER read. Not only because it was near impossible to piece together details without context, but because of the extraordinary lengths that the author went to create ridiculous scenarios in which the protagonist could get through without any knowledge whatsoever. I mean the first 3 or 4 encounters I could buy but fuck, it went on for so god damned long

and meanwhile, the protagonist is a smarmy cocksure piece of shit with the most reddit witty sensibilities of all time. As soon as the exposition begins, it's like he's fully reinstated as this future king figure and everyone trusts him right off the fucking bat. Underwater queen? Fucks him almost immediately. Then they spend 50 pages building up his brother as this final boss character, only to have them meet right away and duel before a quick retreat. The last thing I read before putting the series down for good was his brother doing a manacle villain cry of despair saying he wont get away with this!

what a piece of shit
>>
>>8409626
I've honestly read someone that said they were literally walking about town reading Pratchett and cackling. Even though that's not my experience so far I'd say I have enjoyed what I've read, maybe as others say Small Gods is his try at some deeper stuff so I might try something else from him after being done with Small Gods.
>>
>>8409797
>I read about 400 pages of the first book.
But it isn't that long.
>>
Hey quick question /sffg/ I remember reading a short story in an anthology years ago that I later looked up and acquired, but now that I want to put it on the tablet to read I've forgotten what it was called.

I'm pretty sure it was by either Bradbury or Dick, and it was about this fortress either on Mars or in orbit around Earth or something, and they kept sending people into this place that was like a deadly puzzle. The people would have to do things exactly right or be instantly vaporized or something.

I think there was also a scene in this story where a scientist solves the mystery of teleportation and chucks stuff through a portal like an apple and a pencil but when he puts a rat through the rat comes out like 500 years old and keels over. I think this one is a separate story though and come to think of it I believe...yea, this is a different story, this is the one where the family is strapping in for a teleport and the dad tells the kids about the history of the technology while they wait.

So like what's the story with the deadly labyrinth? And don't say Maze of Death coz I'm pretty sure the one I'm looking for is a short story and the Maze of Death synopsis doesn't match.
>>
>>8409797
>ridiculous scenarios in which the protagonist could get through without any knowledge whatsoever.
Ah, I see you missed how he was noticing that his ability to get through them tipped him off to him being a magical prince. He's a New Wave antihero, of course he's going to be surrounded by fawning followers until they all stab him in the back. The series is about him learning to chill out and stop wanting power so much, to see that he really was the villain most of the time.
>>
>>8409826
>I think there was also a scene in this story where a scientist solves the mystery of teleportation and chucks stuff through a portal like an apple and a pencil but when he puts a rat through the rat comes out like 500 years old and keels over. I think this one is a separate story though and come to think of it I believe...yea, this is a different story, this is the one where the family is strapping in for a teleport and the dad tells the kids about the history of the technology while they wait.

i definitely know that. so they gas people to sleep before the teleport. i'll get back to you on it.
>>
>>8409826
Second one is Stephen King, The Jaunt. First one rings some bells. Might be Ellison?
>>
>>8409832
>missed how he was noticing that his ability to get through them tipped him off to him being a magical prince
I caught that. It was fucking ridiculous how long it takes before they let the reader in on the secret though. Mind numbingly frustrating.
>>
>>8409838

Oh right, that's right. The second one was King.
Thanks
I don't think it was Ellison for the first story but I'll check.
>>
>>8409841
It was pretty obvious even when I read it when I was 12.
>>
whats a good scifi story about soldiers/guards at a remote outpost in deep space?
>>
>>8409848
listen man, I knew what was going on the whole time. I knew he was a magic prince right the fuck away. What I couldn't do was string together a coherent narrative or give any significance to any events or characters until they began exposition way too late.
>>
>>8409845

Alright, I found it. Got confused, it was neither a short story nor by Dick/Bradbury. The novel is called Rogue Moon and it was written by Algis Budrys. I may be viewing through nostalgia lens since I last read it like twenty years ago but I remember it being pretty cool when I was a kid.
>>
tried going through Prince of Nothing a month ago. that first part pulled me right the fuck in. and the narrative following Kellhus was great. then it switched to the wizard guy and I thought okay this is pretty interesting. then it went to the barbarian guy and I thought it was fine. but by book two I was tired as fuck of Esme and couldn't go on anymore. is it worth slogging through her chapters to finish the series or does her part just keep getting bigger?
>>
>>8409896
Her chapters improve noticeably after the first book.

Mostly after about halfway through warrior prophet when she becomes the lens through which you see kellhus
>>
>>8409851
On Basilisk Station is pretty much exactly that. It's about a naval captain getting sent to a backwater star system that then gets attacked.
>>
>>8409797
Amber's fine. It's a rare example of a series that has the shittest first book in existence and gets impossibly better and better as the series progresses. First book is truly shit though.
>>
Did we ever get a list of books with little girl protagonists?
>>
>>8409861
That's because it's not meant to stand alone.
>>
File: frazetta smoking ad.jpg (121KB, 736x557px) Image search: [Google]
frazetta smoking ad.jpg
121KB, 736x557px
>you will never live in a Frazetta world of ripped warriors THICC maidens and troglodytes
>>
>>8409992
What have we got? What's our age cutoff? Witches of Karres has little girls in it, I guess Gravity's Rainbow does too. Are we excluding YA? Because I don't think we should, but then we're swimming in Tamara Pierce and such.
>>
>>8409940
damn I was maybe a third of the way in before I returned it to Audible. maybe I'll get it again.
>>
>>8410062
>Didn't even make it to the library

Bruh..
>>
>>8410075
all I know is I went from Prince of Nothing to the Book of the New Sun and I liked it WAY more. but I think single POV books just lend themselves way better to audiobook format.
>>
>>8410077
Which did you like more
>>
>>8410053
>Witches of Karres
Wow I'm surprised I havent heard of this one. Sounds like a really cute book.
>>
>>8410092
woops I'm tired. Book of the New Sun.
>>
>>8409797
You'll catch a lot of shit from most people in this general, but yeah, I agree with you, Book of Amber is bad. The writing is just terrible.
>>
Any fantasy with a golden age african setting? like songhay empire?
>>
>>8410145
Charles R. Saunders. Imaro.
>>
>>8404312
/lit/ is to dumb for bakker.
>>
>>8409987
Aren't you the same anon that shits on Malazan though?
>>
>>8409826
>quick question
>writes 4 paragraphs
>Americlap logic
>>
>>8410184
Have never read Malazan. I was actually thinking of reading it though.
>>
>>8409797
>I read about 400 pages of the first book. It took way, way, WAY too long before the protagonist would admit that he had amnesia and exposition could begin.
It took maybe 100 pages. Are you a retard who wants exposition right off the bat? He also tells you right away he has amnesia.
>Jesus Christ, that was the most frustrating 250 pages I have EVER read.
The first book is 150 pages long in total.
>Not only because it was near impossible to piece together details without context
It isn't, the book gives you enough information to make sense of most things, or tricks you by giving you enough hints, but that's more related to the overall plot.
>but because of the extraordinary lengths that the author went to create ridiculous scenarios in which the protagonist could get through without any knowledge whatsoever.
There was only one such scenario, his memory returns in the water castle at the start of the first book.
>I mean the first 3 or 4 encounters I could buy but fuck, it went on for so god damned long
The incredibly lengthy 150 page first novel in which he gets his memory back and you can piece everything together? Yeah, a pain.
>and meanwhile, the protagonist is a smarmy cocksure piece of shit with the most reddit witty sensibilities of all time.
He was interesting enough there's an expression "corwinian" when talking about fantasy protagonists. What is reddit even supposed to mean here?
>As soon as the exposition begins, it's like he's fully reinstated as this future king figure and everyone trusts him right off the fucking bat.
Nobody trusts him at all and he gets his eyes gouged out and thrown into the dungeon and everyone is scheming his or her own thing with multiple master plans going on. Are you retarded?
>Underwater queen? Fucks him almost immediately. Then they spend 50 pages building up his brother as this final boss character, only to have them meet right away and duel before a quick retreat.
What? He fights a long battle loses, one of his brothers is killed.
>The last thing I read before putting the series down for good was his brother doing a manacle villain cry of despair saying he wont get away with this!
And he doesn't
>what a piece of shit
Are you retarded? Like seriously? What the heck did you read? The book moves extremely fast and there's nothing very complicated or requiring massive amounts of exposition. Did you read some drawn out fan fiction?
>>
>>8410097
>surprised I havent heard of this one.
The guy suggested it to you couple threads well ago, when you inevitably ask your same tired question every thread without reading the fucking responses.

This is just proof that you don't read shit we suggest, maybe we should report your ass on sight from now on....
>>
>>8410198
>there's only one little girl anon
>>
>>8409992
Orphans of Chaos
>>
File: 1460485001762.jpg (37KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1460485001762.jpg
37KB, 600x338px
>>8409992
The Obelisk Gate
>>
>>8409300
>>8409348
Just want to say thanks for using spoiler tags bros. I have not quite finished the book yet.
>>
Is Kellhus the biggest mary sue in fantasy ?
>>
>>8410465
You gonna shill this book huh?

Reading last unicorn(shit so far), when done OGate is next
>>
>>8410185

>Taking time to be pedantic
>Mistaking sentences for paragraphs
>Americlap logic > no discernible logic
>>
>>8410465
>>8410883
Isn't that a second book in a series?
>>
someone write some erotic fanfiction of kaladin and syl

I need to fap
>>
>>8409987
that is reassuring; maybe I'll go back to it and see how much I enjoy the rest. I have the whole Book of Amber epub
>>8410184
malazon is my next meme series to see if its actually good
>>
>>8410880
No, Kvothe is.
>>
>>8410198
Theres multiple little girl posters
>>
>>8410886
Yes, I already read the first book(if you are talking about the fifth season).
>>
>>8411243
Orphans of Chaos
>>
>>8410880
He's not a mary sue. His overpoweredness is supposed to be horrific, not cool. He's like the cuckholder in a hana hook manga.
>>
File: 9783448.jpg (56KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
9783448.jpg
56KB, 309x475px
I liked More Than Human by Sturgeon. There is both poetry and profundity in here, but overall I thought it was uneven, and the third part is too coy for too long.

For all of the regard this book has, I thought his previous book, The Dreaming Jewels, was better.
>>
>>8410880
Given he has noticeable flaws and is arguably the villain, no.
>>
>>8401569
This is really what amerignorants think
>>
>>8401569
I'm all for shitting over Non-Burgers, but the languages mostly root in Latin. Back when the languages were dividing they didn't have the same capability of travel as we did so dialects and vernaculars became cemented, and over time they solidified into different languages.

The only reason English did well is because we had Shakespeare/Bacon to set of enough works to have generally accepted words for English, and America became resource rich and had a strong vernacular/dialect of its own that changed so little from region to region that there was a standard for it
>>
>"Well," Shallan said to the captain, blushing but still eager to speak, "I was just thinking this: You say that my beauty coaxed the winds to deliver us to Kharbranth with haste. But wouldn't that imply that on other trips, my lack of beauty was to blame for us arriving late?"
>"Well...er..."
>"So in reality," Shallan said, "you're telling me I'm beautiful precisely one-sixth of the time."
>"Nonsense! Young miss, you're like a morning sunrise, you are!"
>"Like a sunrise? By that you mean entirely too crimson"-she pulled at her long red hair-"and prone to making men grouchy when they see me?"
>He laughed, and several of the sailors nearby joined in. "All right then," Captain Tozbek said, "you're like a flower."
>She grimaced. "I'm allergic to flowers."
>He raised an eyebrow.
>"No, really," she admitted. "I think they're quite captivating. But if you were to give me a bouquet, you'd soon find me in a fit so energetic that it would have you searching the walls for stray freckles I might have blown free with the force of my sneezes."
>"Well, be that true, I still say you're as pretty as a flower."
>"If I am, then young men my age must be afflicted with the same allergy-for they keep their distance from me noticeably." She winced. "Now, see, I told you this wasn't polite. Young women should not act in such an irritable way."

>The man pulling the machine was short and dark-skinned, with a wide smile and full lips. He gestured for Shallan to sit, and she did so with the modest grace her nurses had drilled into her. The driver asked her a question in a clipped, terse-sounding language she didn't recognize.
>"What was that?" she asked Yalb.
>"He wants to know if you'd like to be pulled the long way or the short way." Yalb scratched his head.
>"I'm not right sure what the difference is."
>"I suspect one takes longer," Shallan said.
>"Oh, you are a clever one." Yalb said something to the porter in that same clipped language, and the man responded.
>"The long way gives a good view of the city," Yalb said. "The short way goes straight up to the Conclave. Not many good views, he says. I guess he noticed you were new to the city."
>"Do I stand out that much?" Shallan asked, flushing.
>"Eh, no, of course not, Brightness."
>"And by that you mean that I'm as obvious as a wart on a queen's nose."
>Yalb laughed.

can't believe i fell for the meme. two chapters of fighting with no characterization worth a damn, then this autist

fucking DROPPED with the force of a thousand suns
>>
>>8411726
I feel you Brother! Witty banter is the ancient and honorauble field of Manly Men! How dare Sanderson do this!
>>
>>8411781
How the fuck is this witty?
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 182x276px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 182x276px
This was easily the best fantasy novel i read in the last few years. It was pretty much Guy Richie meets fantasy- The book.

I finished the 3 books in a week and loved it.

Can anyone recommend me stuff like this?
>>
Why is it impossible to find The Great Ordeal? I have been searching all over for a week now and there is no fucking hard copy in where i live and not a single epub link on the internet.

Fuck this.
>>
File: 42DW4.jpg (709KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
42DW4.jpg
709KB, 1536x2048px
>>8411822
this one's pretty similar
>>
>>8411834
It isn't at all.
>>
>>8411839
I live in EU and i haven't seen a single hard copy of the book yet. Where did you find it?
>>
>>8411851
>not a single epub link on the internet.
I was referring to this. It exists since weeks now and is very easy to find. No, I'm not spoonfeeding you.

And if you really wanted a hardcopy right now you could just order it from the US. Shipping is only like 8 bucks.
>>
>>8411851
He used to be really popular here 10 or so years ago with teenagers so they had him in just about every tobacco shop, but the meme has died out. Now they have Abercrombie.
>>
>>8411867
>look ma I said it again XD
>>
>>8411834
Lets get this shit started

>yuropoors
>>
Where do I start with (((Daniel Abraham)))?
>>
File: 1465827370368.jpg (69KB, 498x482px) Image search: [Google]
1465827370368.jpg
69KB, 498x482px
>>8411837
I wasn't asking about your taste you fuccboi.
>>
>>8411943
Long Price Quartet, then move on to other things if that didn't put you to sleep.
>>
File: 1470670583362.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1470670583362.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>8411955
darn
>>
Any fantasy books about redemption? Not so much from a morally gray area did some shit back in the day, more like from a total asshole due to awful childhood to a decent person as the story goes along.
>>
>>8412090
Book of the New Sun
>>
File: 1467743127595.jpg (63KB, 568x791px) Image search: [Google]
1467743127595.jpg
63KB, 568x791px
>come back to /lit/
>genrefags still not banned
>>
I think we should all work on a giant Mega archive of all our downloaded books like /co/ does with the Star Wars literature.It would be a great help to all the fellow anons in the thread asking for books or links.
>>
>>8412305
If you wanna do it, go for it.
If anyone is looking for xyz I can visit libgen, bookz, tpb and mobilism just as well as the next guy, so I don't really see the point.
>>
>>8412311
Alright I will start uploading all of my collection it will take a while but afterwards I am gonna need suggestions and links from the stuff everyone else wants.
>>
>>8412305
>>8412311
>>8412317
I'm a newfag and even I know there's already one.
>>
>>8412123
>he comes back to lit and is still an enormous faggot who doesn't read
>>
>Stormlight 3 never
>Blood mirror never
>Kingkiller Chronicle 3 never
>>
>>8412449
Blood mirror October 25

Stop crying
>>
>>8412459

Allegedly
>>
>>8412449
>Kingkiller Chronicle 3 never
Let's hope so
>>
>>8412449
sanderson always gets shit done
>>
>>8411822
I thought that book was terrible. So, to me, other stuff like it includes Wheel of Time and Ready Player One.
>>
File: 94734823.jpg (130KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
94734823.jpg
130KB, 480x640px
>>8400703
Give me some books with castration and ball torture scenes please.Really need it.
>>
>>8412854
My diary desu
>>
>>8412854
Hi birdie's friend
>>
W H E N
H
E
N
>>
new bread please and thank you.
>>
>>8413091
You're very welcome, anon
>>8413197
>>8413197
>>8413197
>>
>>8409667
That's a good description of the humor actually. Pretty cheeky.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.