[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here read The Idiot by Dostoyevsky? Is it good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: idiot.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
idiot.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
Has anyone here read The Idiot by Dostoyevsky?

Is it good?
>>
You can always go to your local library and find the answer there.
>>
If you are attempting to read a translation, or are a westboo, I would not recommend it
>>
Yes, I enjoyed it more than C&P, not by much but still, great book with a powerful message, at least for me it was.

>>8399975
remember, when it comes to translations don't listen to /lit/
>>
>>8398686
Horrible, the worst of all his work.
>>
It's basically 'what would jesus be like right now' the 19th century Russia edition.
>>
It's amazing, easily one of the best books I've ever read.
>>
>>8400321
this
very polarizing though
>>
I recently finished it and enjoyed it, however it is far from perfect and a deeply flawed novel.

Most of the appeal rides on how much you become attached to Prince Myshkin. I found myself underlining the monkish descriptions of him and the contrast between him and others (mostly Rhogozhin) and underling his musings on death, punishment and compassion. However it seems Dosty runs out of steam by section three and the middle drags considerably, the Prince's characterisation begins to fall apart as he is caught in various love triangles that progress essentially nowhere.

I also expected the Prince to undergo much more toil and trauma than actually occurs. Considering the main conflict of the novel is supposedly Myshkin's innocence and decency clashing with the non-decent society of 19th century Russia, I kept expecting him to become manipulated by others and end up transgressing, and being sent to Serbia or punished equally unfairly. Although the novel didn't end happily or sentimentally (which I liked), I felt very little was thrown at the Prince Myshkin.

Nevertheless, it is still a compelling novel and many passages and secondary characters were very entertaining. The lying, drunken retired General was a personal favourite (I adored his tale of being Napoleon's page boy). Furthermore the constant musing on approaching death were very engaging.

It's probably worth pointing out the only previous novel of Dostoyevsky's I've read is Notes from Underground several years ago. I preferred the Idiot and unlike the last book, this one has left me with a desire to read more of his.

Apologies is this reads badly, I've typed it on my phone.
>>
No, its HORRIBLE! as if Dostoevsky's unimpeachable sensibilities and talent all but dissipate on the page. It reads like Dean Koontz. It is uncharacteristically bad just because you asked a stupid question that didn't deserve its own thread.
>>
>>8400484
>(I adored his tale of being Napoleon's page boy)

>"'Write, oh, write a letter to the Empress Josephine!' I cried, sobbing. Napoleon started, reflected, and said, 'You remind me of a third heart which loves me. Thank you, my friend;' and then and there he sat down and wrote that letter to Josephine, with which Constant was sent off next day."
>>
File: 1469979713767.gif (2MB, 348x244px) Image search: [Google]
1469979713767.gif
2MB, 348x244px
>>8399975
How many languages do you know? Which are they?
>>
>>8398686
I've had a copy that I only read the first part of lying around for years.
>>
Only good thing about it were the monologues by different characters. I specially liked Ippolit's letter, but the Prince's diatribes about his past and the excecution he saw were very cool.

Overall i didnt enjoy it though.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.