[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does art transform unpleasurable events into pleasurable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: fafafaf.jpg (13KB, 250x298px) Image search: [Google]
fafafaf.jpg
13KB, 250x298px
Why does art transform unpleasurable events into pleasurable ones by substracting us from the subjective experience of those events? Also, why do volcanoes (that are an external crystalization of destruction) or lions (an external form of violence) create an experience of pleasure when observed, but do the opposite if one partakes in such destruction or violence?
>>
>>8395462
>Why does art transform unpleasurable events into pleasurable ones by substracting us from the subjective experience of those events?
It doesn't necessarily, there is a lot of great art that is made to make you uncomfortable.

And because neither lava nor lions are consious beings with moral codes.
>>
>>8395462
maybe you should read schoppy on the sublime first?
>>
>>8396761
But is still weird how say a tragedy makes us feel enjoyment, atleast given the typical explanation that one identifies with the characters. The only explanation would then be masochism, and if we don't identify then sadism; but none of these make much sense.
>>
>>8396817
Is neither, because they are not real.
>>
Disconnection, I think. An erupting volcano is mighty and dangerous. When we only see its recording, the danger is absent and we can admire its might. Same thing applies to lions and tragedy.

(I just made this up please no bully if it's bullshit.)
>>
>>8396958
It's true. That's why enlightened people can literally enjoy any part of life. They are disconnected. Such a person can literally die miserably while being happy
>>
>>8396958
disconnection is a bad word for it, you can feel sympathy or be moved by a beautiful set of words. This is an intellectual and emotional connection. If you were to use the word disconnection ,it should be specified that it is in the physical sense, which is what I think you meant. If there were a true and full disconnection, one would feel nothing. In other words you are not fully subracted from a subjective experience. I don't think it's quite the same as being enlightened as >>8397013 said, but that may be because I think it's not something you can fully understand without it happening to you. I am definitely not like an enlightened person when reading a book. Though i guess you do have to accept everything that happens much like an enlightened person does in life. It's a very good point, but i don't think it's the whole truth.

In the examples of the OP it is as the anon in reply said. the immense force is impressive to us. It's the same reason why someone might enjoy the study of tectonics and earthquakes. These forces of nature are not so interesting when contemplating literature, but it is an example that can help you to get to think about what the distance to the subject does. In horror movies the enjoyment comes from the mix of physical disconnection and the emotional connection. Even though you're scared, it feels endearing to watch and nice because you're safe behind your screens. The people that don't enjoy horror movies get too attached and then forget it's a movie / on some level believe it. A horror movie can also be enjoyed in a group setting, then it's like a shared bonding expirience.

For literature it is more complex and different in each work. In the case of a tragic event, it's not that we like to feel sad. When it's a relatable sadness, it makes you able to put those feelings into perspective, it can be very liberating. This is also the case for feelings other than sadness of course. It can make you think about things like death in a guided and ordered way, which is not so chaotic as life usually is. You can feel less alone because other people have the same feelings as you. Basically, books can channel your feelings into places you don't usually or easily see, making you see the world and yourself with a greater clarity. It can make you appreciate the complexity of life with both beauty and uglyness happening all around us.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.