[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

latinoamerican/spanish novels and authors that you fucking love

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Damn bruh.jpg (523KB, 804x1146px) Image search: [Google]
Damn bruh.jpg
523KB, 804x1146px
latinoamerican/spanish novels and authors that you fucking love
>>
>>8394622
DFW
>>
>>8394622
I'd have to say David Foster Wallace
>>
>>8394622
I personally like David Foster Wallace
>>
>>8394622
I really like Infinite Jest
>>
>>8394723
>>8394727
>>8394731
Autism.
>>
>>8394622
Dom Casmurro by Machado de Assis, Seven Madmen by Roberto Arlt
>>
Juan Filloy, Felisberto Hernández, JJ Arreola, Bioy Casares, Elena Poniatowska, Rosario Castellanos (her poetry more than her novels, surprisingly), Elena Garro, Silvina Ocampo. I could probably list at least twenty more offhand (I studied LatAm literature in university)

>>8394753
Did you read Arlt in Spanish or in translation?
>>
>>8394622
La broma infinita por Davíd Foster Palacios
>>
>>8394920
>Elena Poniatowska

The only bad writer in your list. She is mediocre at best. Can't believe she received the Cervantes some years ago.
>>
>>8394622
I loved Raul Waleis La huella del Crimen and Clemencia.
>>
>>8394920
English, is his prose really so bad in the Spanish? I thought it really read like a grungy Dostoeyevsky(also only read translations), and the language imbues almost every character with a such a distinct visual and ideological persona.

I've been thinking of getting the New Directions edition of Felisberto's Piano Stories, haven't read him before, worth it?
>>
>>8394723
>>8394727
>>8394731
>>8394732
>>8394923
can someone explain me this joke?

Also i really like Gabriel Garcia Marquez
>>
>>8394622
Cesar aira
>>
>>8394920
Seconding Silvina. I think I like her better than both her hubby and Cortazar and close to JLB.
>>
>>8394930
Eh, I have a soft spot for Noche de Tlatelolco. Reminds me of Didion's Miami (Joan Didion being one of my absolute favourite writers and Miami being one of the best books I've ever read).

That being said, she really didn't deserve to be in the same list as Carpentier, Borges, Onetti, Mutis and Roa Bastos.
>>
File: onetti_brief_life.jpg (96KB, 318x468px) Image search: [Google]
onetti_brief_life.jpg
96KB, 318x468px
>>8395028
Arlt has a very unique style and sensibility, one which I don't think even he captured very well in his own writing. He's one of those writers who manage to make a mark by the sheer force of their imagination. Not that his technical skill isn't admirable; it's just that his invention is more inspiring than the means by which it is conveyed. I've actually been tempted more than once to buy some translations of my most beloved books just to see how other people interpret their work (for example: Onetti's major novels are available in english right now, so I might try that).

>>8395300
Borges led to Bioy Casares, which led to the Ocampo sisters; and, since the relation between Silvina and Victoria reminds me of Emily and Charlotte Brontë, I decided to read most of her short stories and novels. Don't disparage ABC, but she's definitely more accomplished than Cortázar when you butt shorts to shorts, though her novels lack (and I can't think of a better word for it right now) the ambition, the need to impress, that Cortázar likes to exhibit.
>>
File: 9780941419543-us.jpg (24KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
9780941419543-us.jpg
24KB, 307x475px
>>8395028
Also, yes, absolutely read Hernandez's short stories. They're weird, but they're that playful kind of weird where you know there's a mad genius at work. If I may: I actually gave my best friend that book (well, the old Eridianos edition) on the first week of university, when we met. We've been friends for 10 years now.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.