[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend any Warhammer 40k Novels? Are they all Young Adult

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: warhammer-40k-theme-1.jpg (196KB, 749x468px) Image search: [Google]
warhammer-40k-theme-1.jpg
196KB, 749x468px
Recommend any Warhammer 40k Novels? Are they all Young Adult like the Star Wars books or are they actually enjoyable? Where should I start?
>>
It varies depending on the writer.

Dan Abnett is always solid though. Horus Heresy is some raw shit.
>>
Ciaphas Cain. Personally the second omnibus/set of books, but that's where a lot of my favorite scenes are. May not be up your alley, but give at least the first book a try.

>inb4 'shit taste' our similar comments
>>
File: tumblr_nt78q9sFfX1sicavgo1_500.jpg (22KB, 402x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nt78q9sFfX1sicavgo1_500.jpg
22KB, 402x480px
It can get pretty horrific. And then it can be pretty light. Honestly i am pretty desensitized now though. Even the books I thought were dark are now mehh
>>
Are the books "Young Adult" or do they actually contain impressive prose?

>>8394875
second omnibus of books? Can you link me to a list of the series? What is Ciaphas Cain?

>>8395136
what you mean? just dark shit?
>>
>>8394613
>Horus Heresy is some raw shit.
Is that good or bad?
>>
>>8395420
In the good way. Had to put it down a few times from feels.
>>
>>8395405
The common conception of the Imperial Guard commisar is of the 'If you don't keep trying to suicide up that hill until our bodies choke them out I will kill you were you stand' pistol waving, 'he died heroically while the enemy was way over there' ass beaters.

Cain is not this. Cain wants a cushy job in an artillery unit, sipping tea and not being shot at by either side. Cain rarely gets what he wants, though he is considered a great commissar for being fair and generally not shooting soldiers randomly.

The books are written in a sort of rambling memoir style, edited and organized by a inquisitor he had a lot of contract with, including some footnotes (I didn't mind them, but YMMV) and side chapters to flesh out things going on around him.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ciaphas-cain-sandy-mitchell/1122260513?ean=9781785721113 First omnibus, which is three short stories and the three first books
>>
>>8394612
Their demographic is young adults. At their best they are decent military scifi or technothrillers. Some have plots lifted straight from other settings, others are straight plagarism with "rifle" changed to "Bolter" or such.

Dan Abnett is the best of these, particularly his Inquisitor books.
While I like Ciaphas Cain novels, I think they are derivative of Flashman. But the enthusiasm for worldbuilding the author has salvages it.

Everything else has been forgettable.
>>
>>8394612
Horus heresy has some good books (certainly read the first 3 and go from there), the night lords trilogy, the iron warriors series, some books from the the space marine battles are okay (battle of the fang, hellsreach, legion of the damned), the Inquisitor and Gaunt's Ghost stuff by Dan Abnett and of course Ciaphas Cain

in the end, it's books written for a board game, so don't expect too much out of it, it's also all fairly non political, so you won't find any characters discussing their pronouns, you might see this as bad or good depending on your pov
>>
>>8394612

Ciaphas Cain, as some other helful anons pointed out

Or you could go for the Night Lords trilogy. It can be pretty edgy, but it has some of the most interesting character development I've ever seen, not in a 40k novel, but in a novel. Period.

I've also heard that Gaunt's Ghost series is pretty good if you're into military fiction stuff
>>
>>8394612
Naturally, they all fucking suck.

Cain and Abnett are the only decent books. Cain is very mediocre genre fiction that never becomes anything else, but the concept alone should carry you along enough. Abnett I've never read, I've just heard he's okay.
>>8395405
To cut >>8395884's explanation short, it's Blackadder Goes Forth: 40k edition. You can get them for free on libgen.
>>
Is there any good 40k novel related to the mechanicus?
I need more bleeps into my life
>>
I would recommend "A thousand sons" by Graham Mcneil, arguably the best horus heresy book of the bunch. Audiobook version is also pretty excellent.
>>
Gaunts ghosts was a blast. Each book was an episode of a pulpy tv show.

Abnett is good at his trade.
>>
>>8396722
I forgot about Abnett. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor Omnibus are great in my opinion, especially if you want a look into the Inquisiton.

>>8397397
Also forgot the entire Gaunt's Ghosts series. More Imperial Guard stories by and far.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.