[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading to fluently speak another language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: labandademexico.jpg (412KB, 2363x1351px) Image search: [Google]
labandademexico.jpg
412KB, 2363x1351px
Does reading help at all, or is it a waste of time past learning grammatical concepts and vocabulary? Would I be better off watching dubbed anime? I've been trying to learn Spanish for over a year now and can read fluently, but still have trouble forcing myself to think in the language and speaking it.

I've gone through two textbooks front to book, and read 4 and a half books, and I can still barely catch anything in TV shows (though I can understand A LOT more in real life).

How far does reading really take you? I feel like it's a waste of time at this point, because there isn't a lot worth reading in the language (and I have a big backlog of English books I'd rather work on). I mainly learned it to put "Can fluently speak Spanish" on my resume.
>>
File: 1471052947090.png (106KB, 662x594px) Image search: [Google]
1471052947090.png
106KB, 662x594px
>learning grammatical concepts and vocabulary is a waste of time
>reading in a language you are learning, a good challenge in itself, is a waste of time

It's not, you pelmazo. Evidently, if you are having trouble with your listening skills then don't expect reading to help much. Go watch some videos or movies with subtitles, and then turn them off gradually to see how you fare.
>>
>>8394073
>there isn't a lot worth reading in the language

lmao date un tiro, plebeyo
>>
>>8394073
I mean it helps but it isn't really the same thing. I can read Dostoevsky in Russian and understand what's going on. I can't even hold a basic conversation when actually speaking, I can barely make out what they say, I lack all the practical vocabulary, etc.
>>
>>8394073

Spanish has a lot of accents and localisms depending on the country and region. We have 'neutral spanish' for a lot of dubbed shows, documentaries, etc.

Talking over skype with a native speaker that also knows your language seems like a cool idea, i think.

good luck anon :^)
>>
>>8394073
> How far does reading really take you?

not far. i learned fluent german in 8 months and did it by living in germany and speaking more than a dozen hours a day. there are people who barely spoke and everywhere in between, and i can tell you from experience that you cannot speak fluently without practice.

reading comprehension and speaking fluency are two skills that need to be trained in tandem. they bleed into another occasionally but for the most part, it is an absolute pipe dream to think that you can become a fluent speaker in a language without speaking for at least six months among native speakers. sorry.
>>
>>8394124
Cálmate, amigo. No es culpa mía que la idioma de español no ha producido nada de valor en cienes de años, jaja. Pero, si crees que me equivoques, por favor recomienda un libro que sea valer de leer.

>>8394114
Textbooks offer more efficient ways of learning grammatical rules, and there are plenty of lists out there that teach you useful colloquial vocab. It's a "waste of time" relative to more efficient ways of learning.
>>
>>8394244
>No es culpa mía que la idioma de español no ha producido nada de valor en cienes de años, jaja.

So you really are an idiot, yes? Go inform yourself before claiming shit you know nothing about.

And if you want recommendations, Hijo de hombre by Roa Bastos should suffice for now.
>>
File: 1468876850772.png (12KB, 313x344px) Image search: [Google]
1468876850772.png
12KB, 313x344px
>>8394244
>Textbooks offer more efficient ways of learning grammatical rules, and there are plenty of lists out there that teach you useful colloquial vocab. It's a "waste of time" relative to more efficient ways of learning.

Then why would you even use it to learn them in the first place? You read to apply what you have learnt, not the other way around. No wonder you think it's a waste of time.
>>
>>8394244
Reading Garcia Marquez in spanish is sex.
>>
>>8394483
Have you read El coronel no tiene quién le escriba?

it's better than sex
>>
>>8394244
>Cálmate, amigo. No es culpa mía que la idioma de español no ha producido nada de valor en cienes de años, jaja. Pero, si crees que me equivoques, por favor recomienda un libro que sea valer de leer.

Lamento informarte que estás cometiendo un error tras otro. Eso se soluciona leyendo.

Se forman de otra forma las oraciones, ejemplo:

>No es culpa mía que no hayan echo nada que valga la pena leer en los últimos cien años.
>>
>>8394710
>echo
No deberías corregir a alguien cuando sos capaz de cometer semejante error.
>>
>>8394244
>don't know how to write in the language
>there is nothing to read guys!
americlaps
>>
>>8394853
>sos
pero si hablo el maricon
>>
>Mexican intellectuals.
>>
>>8395100
>murricans of any kind

lmao
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.