[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting into poetry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

Sup niggers

I'm looking to get into poety. I'm not really looking for some bleak academic entry kind of first look into poetry.

Which poems and what poets got your eyes open to the wonders of poetry? If you wanted to show someone completely new to poetry, what would you show them to incite an interest?

Is short poems with rythm the best way to get into it?
>>
self-bump
>>
Read the sticky and the archives. This thread come up three times a week.
>>
File: DFa21r3iyl1o1_400.png (112KB, 347x280px) Image search: [Google]
DFa21r3iyl1o1_400.png
112KB, 347x280px
>>8393953
Nothing about entry level poetry or what got people into poetry in the sticky nor the wiki.

Also sage goes in the options field, not the name field.
>>
>>8393912

Dylan Thomas and other modernists is where I started.

SOme people start with Bukowski too but
you could probably skip him altogether.
>>
>>8393912
It's a completely personal thing. It is such a precise art form that there is not really a way to get people into it.

I have a weird relationship to poetry. I never read it as a kid but then at about 16 I started to write it compulsively completely out of nowhere. I've written thousands of poems in the past few years, just endless fucking pages of the stuff. And yet I still haven't really read much poetry, and the weird thing is I don't really like it. There might be lines in a poem I like, but in general I won't care about it.

Does anybody relate to this? to not actually really liking poetry but incapable of not writing it?
>>
I started out with Kipling who is without a doubt a master of the craft, but who is also often quite complicated with complex dialect and wordplay.

Some personal favorites who would definitely be on any good starter list are:

Shakespeare
Yeats
Marvell
Milton
Alexander Pope
John Donne
john clare
Larkin
William Blake
Auden,
Robert Frost
Richard Wilbur
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
Housmann
>>
>>8393912
>Which poems and what poets got your eyes open to the wonders of poetry? If you wanted to show someone completely new to poetry, what would you show them to incite an interest?
As usual, you should start with the greeks. The Illiad is the first poem I really liked. I'd say then move on to Beowulf or Kalevala, both of which are based, then Shakespeare. If you like Shakespeare then you can kind of go anywhere, just follow wht you like.
>>
>>8394238
I started writing poetry before reading it, but now I love reading it. I started just to steal ideas. I always like song lyrics however.
>>
I liked poetry before it was cool
>>
>Is short poems with rythm the best way to get into it?
yes. Read Whitman, hes one of the american greats
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.