[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just marathoned the first sentence of Ulysses. Did I like it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Alizee.jpg (39KB, 418x589px) Image search: [Google]
Alizee.jpg
39KB, 418x589px
I just marathoned the first sentence of Ulysses.
Did I like it?
>>
>>8389349
no you didn't. if you did, you'd be reading the following sentence instead of shitposting.
>>
File: Thas Rite.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Thas Rite.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
>>
Just marathoned 8 niggers 4chan tell me about it and memes
>>
>tfw barely anyone puts effort into their shitposting anymore
>>
yeah, you did

it's a great sentence
>>
Just memed the meme meme of meme. Did I meme it?
>>
>>8389492
Meme memed meme meme memes memey meme. Memer memest meme maymay? XD
>>
20 sentences deep here. when does it good? the molly arch?
>>
>Latin quotes
>No character exposition

Is this the most pretentious book ever written? I read the first 2 pages in a book store and couldn't make out any of it, but I'm not unfamiliar to literature I've read The old man and the sea, great gatsby etc and loved them, but this just felt like it was hard for the sake of being hard, no artistic merit or plot or anything to draw one in.
>>
>>8389349
Don't pretend you weren't just looking for an excuse to post that pic. Not that I'm complaining.
>>
>>8389695
No actually I just picked it because I had nothing else suitable
>tfw no prime alizee gf
>>
File: xlxidz.jpg (16KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
xlxidz.jpg
16KB, 600x449px
>>8389713
oh I see haha here's a reply pic not related
>>
>>8389688
I know this is bait, but it still triggered me.
>>
>>8389722
>tfw no qt 3.14 gf like alizee that I've known and loved since birth who will teach me french and save me from depression
THAT'S ALL I FUCKING WANT. IS THAT REALLY TOO MUCH TO ASK? REALLY? I JUST FUCKING WANT ALIZEE FUCKING KILL ME
>>
>>8389688
Some of the characters and notably Stephen Dedalus, were presented in his previous novel, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. You should probably read that first
>>
>>8389730
>starts with once upon a time
>moo-cow
I'm just being meme'd right?
>>
>>8389349
I was totally expecting that to be a plastic surgery kpop girl, but now I can have a shame free erection. Nice.
>>
>>8389688
>no artistic merit or plot

holy fuck
>>
>>8389769
>moo-cow
Why does this specifically trigger so many people here?
>>
Alizee, light of my life, fire of my loins...
>>
>>8389866
It's just cliche and childish, am I supposed to ignore that a grown man is using moo-cow or such a cliche beginning? I mean I'm not reading a children's book here if he's trying to be funny then ok but it isn't funny imo and if he's being serious then come on, moo-cow? If he was a true artist it would be something beautiful and profound. "The spotted deity" or something sounds better, then you get the Hindu implications as well.
>>
>>8389349
i want to make her so fucking mad
>>
>>8389909
>"The spotted deity" or something sounds better, then you get the Hindu implications as well.

LMFAO! PURPLE PROSE MASTER HERE!
>>
>>8389913
What did she ever do to you?
>>
>>8389909

Did the concept of the book just whoosh over your head?
>>
AAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Every FUCKING day with these STUPID fucking MEMES! I've had it up to HERE with stupid fucking memes! You guys make me want to KILL MYSELF! Is that what you fucking want? For me to fucking KILL MYSELF and write on my suicide note "Cause of suicide: Couldn't handle all of the stupid fucking memes, killed myself"? Because that's what it might as well fucking say!

You guys are literally, L I T E R A L L Y incapable of having even the SIMPLEST of fucking discussion without "MEME THIS, MEME THAT, PROBABLY PINECONE BE CHILLIN, HERE'S A PIC OF INFINITE JEST BY DAVID FOSTER WALLACE, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EBIN AMIRITE?" Fucking STOP IT you pathetic fucking FAGGOTS, you are such fucking cancer that I cannot even fathom how you fucking scumbags live your dumb gay lives. Don't you have a job to get to, schoolwork to finish or a family to attend to? Do you literally do ANYTHING productive with your lives other than post stupid fucking memes on the literature section of a god damn anime imageboard? You fucking people make me sick and you're damn lucky I don't have any of your fucking addresses you fucking pieces of shits. I'd spit in your faces.
>>
So many memes, OP.

Well done.
>>
>>8389928
At least I'm not a pretentious ass like Joyce. I'd rather be a bad prose stylist and accept it than be a bad prose stylist and try to cover it up with Latin and big words.

>>8389980
Am I REALLY missing anything or is it all just esoteric make-believe? I just don't think I can take anyone seriously that writes like that, it really feels like you guys are memeing me like Joyce is the Death Grips of /lit/ aka overrated pretentious shit that losers pretend is really good to seem cool.
>>
>>8389909
It's so "cliché and childish" that no one else would use it which I'm sure is why Joyce took it for his own
>>
>>8390450
He used it because the contents of the novel reflect the consciousness and development of Stephen. It's obviously supposed to be as if it was taken from a children's book or something similar. "Once upon..." is the same.
>>
>>8390073
1. Purple prose is using big words and incessant adverbs to hide bad prose, dumbass. Joyce can hardly really be accused of that, whereas something like "the spotted deity" is well in the zone of fucking purple prose

2. Really? Ulysses for the most part isn't even that fucking difficult; try reading it out loud or at least (gasp) subvocalizing it a little bit to get a feel for how amazing the prose is, and just head to any worthwhile annotated guide to see the character and plot-based complexity of the novel
>>
>>8390532
>have to use a guide to read it

So it is pretentious drivel, I was thinking about giving it another go, but if I have to use notes to even understand the damn thing then what's the point? I think the true art of literature is being as straightforward as possible while also being eloquent. Hemingway is a master because he can get across paragraphs of emotion in one word, which leads to his novels being shorter as well and more to the point unlike the pretentious meanderings of Joyce.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.