[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you were asked to suggest an entry level book to someone,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1468692442522.gif (329KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1468692442522.gif
329KB, 256x256px
If you were asked to suggest an entry level book to someone, which would it be? Seems like the ubiquitous answer is 1984.
>>
Depends on the person, 1984 is good but I know someone who couldn't get into it. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is good for blaze it fags, Siddartha is good for 'spiritual' types, Of Mice and Men is short, well recognised and difficult not to feel some emotion towards, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep or many of Philip K Dick's or Kurt Vonnegut's novels for people who like science/sci-fi. I really enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea in my teens so did a few of my friends, those that did seemed to have kept reading, coincidence I'm sure but worth mentioning.

Engage them and let them find the human component that can open up the path to other literature. Also look at what books are suggested in the back, I know penguin and some other publishers do this
>>
A Portrait
>>
stoner

i didn't get much out of it but i imagine for the average normie who never had a moment of introspection it would be revelatory and hook them
>>
Grapes of Wrath

Master and Margarita

The Sun Also Rises
>>
>>8388818
Book of the New Sun, Portrait of Dorian Grey, Borges, Dostoevsky; these are all good starters, but the important thing is to target them to the person. If they're a fantasy pleb who only reads bad genre fiction, let alone literature, then Wolfe can be a good ramp. So can Borges, now that I think about it.
>>
>>8388818
>The Stranger
>The Old Man and the Sea
>Death of a Salesman
>Sense of an Ending
>Babbit
>>
>>8388818
Death of Ivan Ilyich.
>>
>>8388818
enjoyed cat's cradle myself
>>
I heard animal farm is pretty good
>>
>>8388953
>Sense of an Ending
I am always surprised when someone mentions Barnes here.
>>
I'd recommend them to go check the wiki or post in a QTDDTOT thread, instead of starting an inane thread like this.
>>
>>8389264
Is it because you're a fucking idiot?
>>
Slaughterhouse 5
It's easy, entertaining and memorable and, most importantly, short.
>>
>>8389260
It's shit. It's boring (so it doesn't have that going for newfags), it's simple as fuck, and it's utterly irrelevant (due to being simple as fuck, and political).
>>
>>8389391
Agree with dis chap
>>
A la resharche du times perdu is ze answer dude
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.