[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Slartibartfast hesitant to tell his name?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: ImagesCA1BDT31.jpg (8KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
ImagesCA1BDT31.jpg
8KB, 303x166px
Why was Slartibartfast hesitant to tell his name?
While it could totally sound semi-rude in Magrathean also (THGTTG has plenty of such coinsidences), Slarti hardly could've known the Earthling Englishmen would find it such also, or it sounded entirely different and the Babel Fish just translated it to similar rude-sounding nonsense?

Yes, I'm trying to make sense of a minor detail in HGTTG, don't judge me.
>>
>>8388441
>Yes, I'm trying to make sense of a minor detail in HGTTG, don't judge me.

too late.

your name is Pizpot Gargravarr, isn't it?
>>
>>8388441
He has a shitty name that's it
>>
>>8388465
but it's shitty IN ENGLISH.
he's a Magrathean. why would he be shy to say his name to a member of nation whose rudeness conventions he has no idea of?
>>
File: 1445701644450.png (270KB, 550x723px) Image search: [Google]
1445701644450.png
270KB, 550x723px
>>8388441
Because his real name is Theta Sigma.
>>
>>8388481
maybe it's even shittier in Magrathean.
>>
>>8388521
>>8388481
>>8388465
>>8388441
He's based on the Doctor from Doctor Who if it's not already extremely obvious. The Doctor never shares his name and neither does Slarti.

It's extremely obvious when he says
>she'd be typing out this long and extraordinary name which would be quite an effort to type
And the Doctor's name is constantly referred to as long and unpronounceable (except when it is referred to as Theta Sigma but this is quickly decanonised)

Bistromath = a perception filtered TARDIS as well as references to time travel.
Both ships run on mathematics (the TARDIS runs on Block Transfer Mathematics to be precise.)

Adams was also a script director for Doctor Who and this isn't the first time that characters from Doctor Who intersect with his. For example, Professor Chronotis a Time Lord in his unpublished Doctor Who Serial Shada ends up in the Dirk Gently books. Adams recycles a lot.
>>
>>8388546
>He's based on the Doctor from Doctor Who if it's not already extremely obvious. The Doctor never shares his name and neither does Slarti.
that's meta. i don't care about meta. i don't like meta. i'm talking in-universe.
>>
File: 1456433771731.png (571KB, 600x563px) Image search: [Google]
1456433771731.png
571KB, 600x563px
>>8388552
>not understanding what an expy/injoke is
There is no inuniverse explanation.
>>
>>8388559
It's the same as if you were to write the most successfully selling book in history and decided to pump your next books with a few ebin /lit/ memes for the shits and giggles and no one except the hard core fans would understand what the fuck you're talking about because you're deliberately vague about it.
>>
>>8388559
I understand what an expy/injoke is.
But that's a dolylist explanation. I need a watsonian.
>>
>>8388568
A U T I S M
>>
>>8388568
The only person who knows is deceased.
>>
>>8388441
The babelfish is an idiomatic translator. It changed the name to something that sounds embarrising in English.
>>
>>8388603
makes sense. thanks.
>>
>>8388568
>I understand what an expy/injoke is.
>But that's a dolylist explanation. I need a watsonian.
Pls go and stay go
>>
>>8388481
He literally says in t he book that he has a shitty name and is kind of embarrassed by it

What more do you want?
>>
>>8388837
the name provided was shitty in english.
Slarti was Magrathean speaking Magrathean
I was wondering if his name was also supposed to be shitty in Magrathean
a kind anon reminded me that the Babel Fish was idiomatic translator, so the name needn't have sounded exactly "Slartibartfast" in Magrathean, it's just how Arthur Dent heard it
>>
>>8388847
That's an interesting question. It seems likely that the Babel Fish works on names too because they may require different sounds in different languages. On Earth, different languages have different names for countries (e.g. "Germany" and "Deutschland").
>>
>>8388546
>Adams recycles a lot.

although he doesn't recycle as much as he used to before he died.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.