[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recent Reads General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1466956264919.jpg (536KB, 635x903px) Image search: [Google]
1466956264919.jpg
536KB, 635x903px
In that last week or so, I've read:
>Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
>Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
>A Brief History of Time
>The First Book in A Series of Unfortunate Events
>The House on Pooh Corner
> The Animorphs Book series (the whole thing to my shame)
Thoughts on some of these books? I had not read most of them as a child, but I don't think I would have appreciated them as much then as I do now. To explain what may seem random (A Brief History), I am working through a list I found online that was largely composed of books I had not yet read.
>>
I don't know about these books, so I'll just shamelessly shill my list like the egotistical jerkoff I am

>finished 1984 ending pissed me off

>reading Going Clear

>Reading The Rise and Fall of Rome

>Reading Neuromancer
>>
>>8388294
I've only read 1984 out of these, and agree about the ending. However, I've not really found a dystopian book that focused this much on the way the system works *and* had a satisfying ending. Maybe I'll try to tackle that challenge at some point as a writer.
>>
>>8388302
I read an article that basically said that G.O. did that to show the how hopeless a dystopia society would be, that all fine but I also think it was a cop out because G.O. had trouble finishing it.
>>
Just started Villette.

I can already imagine it would make a great animu
>>
>>8388279
>Thoughts on some of these books?
Well, they're children's books. Yes, including Hawkins' one.

Alice is the best one, I suppose.

If you're doing your child reading right now, make sure to do
- D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths (START WITH THE GREEKS)
- Kipling. The Jungle Book, for example.
- Verne. Say Around the World in Eighty Days.
- Wells. The Time Machine, I suppose.
- The Worst Witch series (the books are short as fuck, and it's much better than the much more famous book series that plagiarized it).
- Ellen Raskin (The Westing Game, of course, but The Tattoed Potato holds a very special place in my heart)
- The Brothers Grimm (The 2014 full collection by Princeton is superb)
- Hans Christian Andersen (The 2007 full collection by B&N is by far the best I've found)
- Aesop (The '98 full collection by Penguin is the one I'd recommend. You should actually read this after the D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths to keep the meme going)
- Dickens
- Twain
- Coraline by Neil Gaiman
- Orwell's Animal Farm is also structured like a children's book, but it's much more than that of course.
>>
Antifragile (finished)
Shakespeare's Sonnets
The Buried Giant
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.