[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so not reading Part 2 of Don Quixote is a meme right? why the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: series-F644-773-109-255.jpg (96KB, 511x700px) Image search: [Google]
series-F644-773-109-255.jpg
96KB, 511x700px
so not reading Part 2 of Don Quixote is a meme right? why the fuck do so many editions publish Part 1 and Part 2 separately? Part 1 literally ends on a cliffhanger.
>>
>>8388254
It doesn't end in a cliffhanger. In fact, it takes it's sweet-ass time making its point. Steven Moore (The History of the Novel) wrote on DQ:
>No character in literature has been more misunderstood than Don Quixote, usually because readers latch on to one aspect of his character and ignore Cervantes' multiple ironies, stripping the benighted knight of his sixteenth-century context and dressing him in their own ideals and aspirations. Thus he was merely a comic character until the Romantics turned him into a tragic hero, orthodox Christians proclaimed him an unorthdox Christ figure (and Sancho too!), and the dinner-theater crowd applauded him as a lovable eccentric with a good heart. In a novel that is primarily about the dangers of self-delusion...Whatever else it may be, DQ1 is unquestionably about the art of fiction, both writing it and (mis)reading it. It contains more discussions of books, literary theory, and advice on writing than any novel I know. It is not merely an attack on novels of chivalry, but an attack on bad writing, in any genre."
Even though DQ2 came out a decade after the first one, they are linked not just thematically but inter-textually because DQ2 is where Cervantes gets meta as fuck (at least, even more so: seriously, read the chapter on how the narrator of DQ1 explains the source of the text and how he managed to translate it). After the success of DQ1, the principal characters and scenes became instantly integrated into the popular culture of the time, and eventually became exploited. Between the writing of the two parts, Cervantes was able to develop into his stylistic maturity; meanwhile, a text purporting to be a continuation of the adventures of Don Quixote (without Sancho) appeared by another writer. This is now called the Apocryphal Quixote. When Cervantes learned about this, he set out to write a proper sequel, making this usufructuary text the jumping-off point and letting the inter- and meta-textual ramifications play themselves out (eventually, Don Quixote enters a bookstore in Madrid and reads of his own exploits).
>>
>>8388346
Also, I'm sorry if that "it's" all the way in the second sentence makes it hard to take me seriously the rest of the way through. It's late.
>>
>>8388346
>In a novel that is primarily about the dangers of self-delusion...Whatever else it may be, DQ1 is unquestionably about the art of fiction, both writing it and (mis)reading it. It contains more discussions of books, literary theory, and advice on writing than any novel I know. It is not merely an attack on novels of chivalry, but an attack on bad writing, in any genre."
What. A. Pleb.
>>
It's not a meme because nobody does that. Part 2 is generally regarded even more highly than pt 1.
Publishers keep them split because it's easier to handle two somewhat smaller books than one 900-page brick, they make more money by selling you two books instead of one and pt 2 was published 10 years after pt1, so two separate books sort of simulate the gap.
But not all of them do that. In fact, I feel that most english editions are one complete book (don't know for sure because I'm not Anglo, so correct me if I'm wrong).
>>
File: IMAG0294.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0294.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>8388890
Yeah, most mass market and "deluxe" editions include the whole shebang (how much mileage they get after the first 50-or-so pages varies). The only copies I've ever seen to split the two are the cheapo pocket ones that only print the first book (sometimes abridged at that) and the scholarly/critical editions I used back in university, which had notes coming out the wazoo.
>>
Does anyone have a comprehensive definition for "meme" when used in this sort of context? I get it intuitively but can't really articulate it beyond saying that it's meant to triviliase whatever you're talking about.
>>
>>8389047

I can't help you too much,anon, but I gave the same feeling, to a tee. I go with the following:

Meme (n) : a ludicrous idea

Ex: not reading book two is a ludicrous idea, right?

Did anyone fall for the alt right ludicrous idea ?

Get over yourself, protein powder is a ludicrous idea
>>
>>8389249
Ludicrous or inherently flawed idea that is, nonetheless, wildly popular and/or espoused (hence, the meme).
>>
>>8388254
Has anyone read the Avellaneda's Quixote?
How does it compares with Cervantes?
i hate Cervantes writing style
>>
>>8390745
Cervantes prose is god-tier what is wrong with you
>>
Do you consider Don Quixote to be the best book ever written?

I'm newer into literature and I wanted to pick it up to seen like a patrician but actually really fell in love with the first 200 pages. However, I got overwhelmed with school and wanted to become more well read before getting back into it.

So far, Cervantes stands up to Ulysses and Brothers Karamazov in my opinion.
>>
>>8390976
Why on earth would it be god-tier, senpai? Have you read it in Spanish, hmm? Do you know that there are incorrect verbal endings and such mistakes in the original text - so, Cervantes didn't even manage to write correctly in his native language?
>>
>>8390745
Have you read any of the chivalric romances that influenced Don Quixote? It's impossible to appreciate the writing without it imo. I personally found it an absolute treat to read.
>>
>>8391594
>So far, Cervantes stands up to Ulysses and Brothers Karamazov in my opinion.
Yours and everyone else's.

Personally, I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I love the book, and it seems great. But I don't get what makes it "better than Dostoevsky and on par with Shakespeare" great.
>>
>>8392087
It was really written first in English, by Francis Bacon.
>>8392499
It should be "in par" with Shakespeare, since Bacon wrote them too.
>>
>>8392087
He also forgot about the donkey, which is ironic.
>>
>>8392610
Francis Bacon invented the internet.
>>
>>8392610
How little you know! They were both, in fact, the ingenious forgeries of Aristotle.
>>
>>8392676
Dunno about that, but binary-code is pretty much Baconian code.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.