[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I get started with HP Lovecraft and his mythos? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1467980002256.jpg (114KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1467980002256.jpg
114KB, 1600x1200px
Where do I get started with HP Lovecraft and his mythos?

What about post-Lovecraft and modern works on the C'thullu mythos?
>>
>>8386582
You can read all the stuff for free, just get the collected works in PDF and read a story at a time. They are sorted chronologically, so it's easy to follow the evolution of his work if you really want to read all of it.

Not all of it is good, though. It gets verbose and repetitive fast. There are some gems nevertheless.

If you wanna read only the best, then you pretty much can start with Dagon,The Call of Cthulhu, The Rats in the Walls, At the Mountain of Madness, and The Shadow over Innsmouth. There are just a few, but they're a decent start.
>>
The 'mythos' was Derleth's hack cash-in. From him on it dissolves into screwy classifications and false religiosity. You can't map it out like human religion - that was the mistake, it doesn't follow a pattern. What lent it so well to the short story form was spontaneity: a freak earthquake and dreams, stray ships, remnants at the edge of the world, missed trains, etc. Glimpses. Derleth et al. played out the cult element.
>>
>>8386664
useless

>>8386614
You're an idiot, first of all you shouldn't be spoonfeeding the summerfag. Second of all, your recommendations suck balls.
>>
>>8386614
>Dagon
>One of the best
If we're talking one if the very short stories as an intro, The Nameless City is better, you've allusions to stuff that appears in other stories and the basis of themes that were more developed in later stories.
>>
>>8386686
shut the fuck up you autistic faggot
>>
>>8386683
Jesus, you added less than me.
>>
>>8386701
>contributing to a thread that only deserves shitposting
>>
>>8386686
>If we're talking one if the very short stories as an intro, The Nameless City is better

I second this
>>
>>8386614
Thanks
>>
>>8386582
>THIS THREAD AGAIN
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.