[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 49

File: 75.jpg (75KB, 650x447px) Image search: [Google]
75.jpg
75KB, 650x447px
"Original Dinosaur is actually a vampire and is trying to turn as many anons as possible" - Edition

When were you bitten by the OG Dino?

What aged sff books did you suddenly get a craving for?

How long do you like your books to stew in the abyss that is decades before you consume them?

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/

>Sci-Fi
Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previously: >>8374307
>>
File: Original_Dino_Chart.jpg (2MB, 1744x2192px) Image search: [Google]
Original_Dino_Chart.jpg
2MB, 1744x2192px
>>8381951
Reposting my bait and trash free chart which is missing Solaris
>>
>>8381955
Oh look it's the same three authors... zZzz
>>
>>8381959
It has over 20 authors
>>
>>8381955
>Anne Frank

Wew lad
>>
>>8381966
Yet the only remotely interesting book on there is Golden Age.
>>
File: 71dsJtQHmpL._UX250_.jpg (20KB, 250x327px) Image search: [Google]
71dsJtQHmpL._UX250_.jpg
20KB, 250x327px
>Dude, that rule about magic I told you at the beginning of this book isn't actually true lmao. What a twist
>>
HELLO BOYS!!
>>
>>8381971
Also the worst one writing and quality wise.
>>
>>8381955
Thats a lot of dick.
>>
>>8381972
Brandon you piss me off so bad. Stormlight is going to be your only saving grace since WoT fizzled out into a non-ending and you're wasting all your time on these dollar-bin paperbacks.
>>
>>8381972
>Watch video of Sanderson doing a Q&A
>He says he got into an argument at a panel before then with 3 other female authors because he said magic should be explained and clearly defined

Anyone know what this is?
>>
>>8381975
He wrote a lot of good shit.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>8381955
There must be a balance!!!
>>
>>8382024
Yea, a bunch of lazy ass authors who liked to use deus ex machina in there book.
They got upset when Sanderson made the public aware that ass pulling should not be accepted.
>>
>>8382068
...Have you read the third Mistborn novel?
>>
>>8382076
Read all, except that short story about a certain someone.
>>
no male fantasy writer can write realistic female dialogue like Sanderson, least of all the neckbeard virgins like rothfuss
>>
>>8382108
>>
File: mb03_symbols-webres.jpg (81KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
mb03_symbols-webres.jpg
81KB, 750x500px
>>8381972
Which rule was that?
>>
>>8382115
never got this meme
I thought it was about blowjobs... but then I see posts like yours and I don't even know
>>
>>8381951
>>8381955
What the fuck is this dino shit?
>>
>>8382108
That's because he enjoys sucking cocks.
>>
>>8378818
Not quite. He realizes everyone on top is corrupt and manipulates them into fighting each other, but his commentary implies he really likes what they've been able to accomplish and he wishes they'd actually led humanity like they were supposed to. He doesn't actually try to set up a new government, on screen at least, just helps out his family like a good Red boy
>>
Why is Tolkien so f*cking boring?
>>
What makes Bakker so based?
>>
>>8382342
Because you are too dumb to enjoy things commonly known as prose and atmosphere, also poetry and epic (as in epic poem, not Malazan type nonsense) characterisation.
>>
>>8382455
Prose is long winded and bad, "atmosphere" is overdone and thus boring, neither the "poetry" nor characterization is interesting
>>
>>8378818

That's now even close to how the books turn out, anon trolled you

Also very little to do with Marxism or whatever besides the color
>>
>>8382477
It is interesting if you have an appreciation for the lore and land. Maybe Divergent is more your speed?
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 612x1022px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 612x1022px
>>
>>8382477
>Prose is long winded
Hardly. As it's written in the style of myth, it's focused on using specific words that bring a lot to the table, but a low number of them.
Unless you are used to Sanderson, then, yes, it's long winded.
>"poetry"
Based poems are not "poetry"
>nor characterization is interesting
It's a magnificent revival of the medieval ideals of relations between classes and it's a perfect example of how to do archetypes.
>>
just finished forge of darkness (from the kharkanas trilogy), this was nice
>>
>>8382477
>>8382547

Recktum, damn near killed 'em
>>
>>8382667
Interesting, I haven't ever talked with anyone who read Erickson. Have you read Gardens of the Moon?

>>8382030

I have Man in the High Castle sitting on my desk, I'm debating over whether to read it before or after I hunt down my Clarke anthology.
>>
>>8382662
>it's focused on using specific words that bring a lot to the table, but a low number of them.
This is my fetish.
>>
>>8382744
>I haven't ever talked with anyone who read Erickson
What?
>>
The expanse series by James S.A Corey, is it any good?
>>
>>8382922
The tv show is pretty disappointing.
>>
>>8382938

Tom Jane is always good tho, very underrated actor imo.
>>
>>8381972
whaaaaaat? What rule got broke?
>>
>>8382942
Adam Jensen actor was the only fun thing about it
>>
>>8382651
Saved. Really sad how Leto doesn't mind being physically cucked.
>>
>>8382744
ive read (and reread) erikson's malazan stuff and ice's things
also wth, these threads mention malazan pretty frequently
>>
>>8382922
It's pretty solid imo but I don't read much scifi
>>
>>8382922
It's fun, but hardly memorable
>>
>>8382947
Im talking about when a charecter lies to the POV about the rules, like when Denth says it is impossible to give away your breaths one at a time.
>>
>>8383157
But that character was proven to be untrustworthy. Denth lied about being a good guy, too, and you're not angry about that.
>>
I just bought Princess of Mars, was it a good call?
>>
>>8381955
lists like these are good for immediately spotting plebs by checking if all they suggest are old novels.

Generally you'll never find a list like this with novels that were written within the last 5-10 years because the reader doesn't actually have any good taste or understanding of the medium, and instead only consumes and likes that which has shown some value to others throughout recent history. These kinds of people will never pick up a book that just came out and recognize it for the genius it is because they don't actually know anything about anything.

Most likely they post these lists not as a means to help others find good stuff, but to make themselves feel smarter than they really are.
>>
>>8383641
Pretty much. That guy in particular shits on everything new, even books which he hasn't even read.
>>
>>8382922
eh, depends on what you're into. it completely lacks those sci fi elements that blow your mind and make you want to know more about the universe. the central lore/plot peace is the alien virus/biomass thing of the series, and that doesn't have much more impact than a fart.
>>
>>8383628
I'm curious too, since I've made it my mission to read this list
>>
File: Its_your_own_fault_really.jpg (2MB, 900x5476px) Image search: [Google]
Its_your_own_fault_really.jpg
2MB, 900x5476px
>>8383641
A-am I a p-pleb anon-kun?
>>
>>8382922
Fun series, the book where they go to the alien planet is probably the least since it feels like the non-Miller parts are just filler.

Don't make the mistake I did and read the Dagger and the Coin series expecting something as entertaining. It's not! It's really boring and I'm tempted to drop it rather than reading the 4th book.
>>
>>8383641
W-what about this list?>>8382056
>>
We can all agree that old book covers are the best.
>>
>>8381951
>Implying it wasn't already too late for me
>When were you bitten by the OG Dino?
:3
>What aged sff books did you suddenly get a craving for?
Ficciones, Gormenghast and The King of Elflands Daughter. Only 1 for 3 sadly.
>How long do you like your books to stew in the abyss that is decades before you consume them?
I'm partial to the 80s vintage, with 70s a close second. Older vintages are consumed semi-regularly with trepidatious curiosity. My general rule was to check the copyright date and put down anything newer than 1989 as too ripe.
>>
How do we encourage more black SFF authors?
>>
File: Children_of_the_Lens.jpg (162KB, 936x1516px) Image search: [Google]
Children_of_the_Lens.jpg
162KB, 936x1516px
>>8383790
But but but they might have used whatever random art from the publisher had on hand and you can't tell what the book is about because of that!
https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/sad-puppies-3-the-unraveling-of-an-unreliable-field/
>That’s what’s happened to Science Fiction & Fantasy literature. A few decades ago, if you saw a lovely spaceship on a book cover, with a gorgeous planet in the background, you could be pretty sure you were going to get a rousing space adventure featuring starships and distant, amazing worlds. If you saw a barbarian swinging an axe? You were going to get a rousing fantasy epic with broad-chested heroes who slay monsters, and run off with beautiful women. Battle-armored interstellar jump troops shooting up alien invaders? Yup. A gritty military SF war story, where the humans defeat the odds and save the Earth. And so on, and so forth.

>These days, you can’t be sure.

>The book has a spaceship on the cover, but is it really going to be a story about space exploration and pioneering derring-do? Or is the story merely about racial prejudice and exploitation, with interplanetary or interstellar trappings?

>There’s a sword-swinger on the cover, but is it really about knights battling dragons? Or are the dragons suddenly the good guys, and the sword-swingers are the oppressive colonizers of Dragon Land?
>>
>>8383806
why are the puppies so autistic? this character, vox, john c fedora... what a crowd
>>
>>8383806
I mean WTF! Man in The High Castle was about Nazis or something and not Dali style paintings!
>>
>>8383806
Not >>8383790 but I really hate the trend of using photographs for covers. Even totally bizarre artworks that misrepresent the content are better.
>>
>>8383817

I guess they knew Dick was on drugs so they thought it wouldn't matter if they made a nonsense cover.

>>8383806

Better than disgusting CGI or weird-ass pictures.
>>
File: Hounds_of_Tindalos.jpg (275KB, 1052x1803px) Image search: [Google]
Hounds_of_Tindalos.jpg
275KB, 1052x1803px
>>8383817
And the Hounds of Tinaldos wasn't about a Asian space cyclops at all, it was some shit about alien dogs or something.

>>8383823
Yeah, "generic brooding male model with sword and cloaked face" or "blonde girl in World of Warcraft costume looks into the distance" is like the lowest common denominator these days. Still better than a vanity press published book with poser art I guess.

I remember seeing a series of paperbacks at Borders back before they folded that had a Assassin's Creed cosplayer as the cover art.
>>
>>8383666
Looks like a pretty solid sampler. Most of those that I've read I've liked or at least saw why other people liked it.
>>
>>8383759
>Don't make the mistake I did and read the Dagger and the Coin series expecting something as entertaining. It's not! It's really boring and I'm tempted to drop it rather than reading the 4th book.
Next time chart anon tells you something, I hope you listen instead of trying to prove me wrong.
>>
Anyone got a link to Abercrombie's "Sharp Ends"? (Short stories from First Law world etc).

epub, mobi, even PDF... all good
>>
>>8384163
I don't look at the charts actually. Only tried it because I've had a ton of free time this summer, my local library has the books and I went "Abraham is the Expanse guy right?"
>>
>>8383802
Send Delaney to prison?
>>
Anyone else hate the fact that R.A. Salvatore is only known for his Forgotten Realms (is that what it's even called?) Drizzt Do'Urden bullshit? Why no love for The Crimson Shadow?

>>8383628
>>8383666
Rock fuckin solid, lads. It's old but it really doesn't matter, breaks all kinds of expectations. Watch John Carter of Mars after you read it, too. Solid film.

>>8383802
Why?
>>
File: Dawn of Destiny.jpg (45KB, 323x500px) Image search: [Google]
Dawn of Destiny.jpg
45KB, 323x500px
Laughable piece of shit or worth reading?

Also, I am looking for a really good sci-fi read that is about a lone individual on some kind of alien planet or construct, and it is written in this character's view the whole way — it never shares knowledge with the reader that the main character doesn't have. Anyone have suggestions?
>>
>>8384248
Was written by a Vietnam veteran about a soldier getting lost in the military-industrial system, plus time dilation. Amazing book.
>>
>>8384264
Reading more about it online (non-spoiling reviews). Sounds fucking awesome, thanks.
>>
>>8384211
Didn't recommend him through the charts, it was from typing. I thought you were the anon that wanted the economical/political intrigue fantasy.
>>
>>8384297
No worries, cobber.
>>
Yo my mans, can I get some hard sci-fi recommendations? So far I've liked: Blindsight (and its sequel), Revelation Space (and NOT its sequels).
>>
>>8384343
Greg Egan and Stephen Baxter are good
>>
>>8384343
Most things by Greg Egan and Heinlein, for the most part.
>>
>>8384248
>EPIC BOOK 1
>>
File: mb01_symbols-webres.jpg (66KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
mb01_symbols-webres.jpg
66KB, 750x500px
>>8384343
>didn't like Redemption Ark
No recs for you, pleb.
>>
Looking for a series about ships and the unknown terrors that live under the sea. Something like red seas under red skies- That book scratched an itch i did not know i had.
>>
>>8383743
>Flight of the Dragonfly
>Cover art is obviously a dick and balls
>>
>>8384491
There's the will weight Of sea and shadow series that is basically this, but the quality is dubious as it's basically YA.

That said, it perfectly matches your description of what you're looking for, so it depends how strong your craving is.
>>
File: the-scar.jpg (135KB, 672x1024px) Image search: [Google]
the-scar.jpg
135KB, 672x1024px
>>8384491
It's only one book, but pic related would be perfect for you - loads of spoopy sea creatures, plus an entire floating town made from lashed-together pirate ships
>>
>>8384362
>>8384364
Tried finding some of Greg Egan's books online but couldn't (I'm a Jew, I know). Will try out Stephen Baxter and Heinlein.
>>8384394
Redemption Ark sucked man. Too many Deus Ex Machina moments, Volyova acting irrationally and the conjoiners are kinda gay too. Absolution Gap was better but it still didn't give me those epic feels the first one did, such as when Sylveste descended into Cerberus.
>>
File: Soldiers.jpg (98KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Soldiers.jpg
98KB, 700x700px
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: IMG_1853.jpg (1MB, 3024x3446px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1853.jpg
1MB, 3024x3446px
>>8381951
Nice, didn't expect to come here and see a DinoDrac reference.
>>
>>8384565
This one looked interesting, checked it out and saw it was book 2 of a trilogy. Buying the whole set now.
Thanks man!
>>
>>8381975
Choke on a Phillip K, anon.
>>
Alri nerds, what's your go to midnight snack when you've been drinking/smoking and reading?

Quesadilla is my vote
>>
>>8384686
Sounds good mang.
I always go for something salty.
>>
>>8384629
Hope you enjoy them - the first and third booka aren't really ocean based, though, just be aware of that.
>>
Has anyone read the Deepgate series, and if so, is it worth the read? I'm debating on whether or not to start it due to the "cheese" factor.
>>
>>8384686
Saltines with peanut butter and a glass of chocolate milk.
>>
>>8384750
>Saltines with peanut butter and a glass of chocolate milk.
Cut out the middleman
Saltines with PB and Nutella sandwich, nigga
>>
>>8383641
Why read Twilight if you can read Homer?
I have no interest in contemporary crap at all when I still have old things to read. Contemporary lit is like contemporary food. It's disgusting once you've tasted real food.

Also not only you have shit taste but are also retarded because it's obvious everything that comes before is the foundation for what comes later. Now, which of the two would be more interesting to read?
>>
>>8384994
My list actually has some newer novels, but they are few because the new ones I've read were shit
>>
>>8384994
"Foundations" are usually garbage though, and new things take and improve upon them.
>>
>>8384242
>Watch John Carter of Mars after you read it, too. Solid film.
Is this for real? It looked like Hollywood crap with the fag from SNL.
>>
>>8385000
>new books are usually garbage though, and old things have already all the elements of them with a higher quality
>>
>>8384686

if im feeling hungry i just vape instead
>>
>>8385010

We get it. You vape.
>>
>>8384994
>Contemporary lit is like contemporary food. It's disgusting once you've tasted real food.

Implying the art of writing has not evolved in 2,000 years but instead declined steadily.
>>
>>8385053
It certainly hasn't had a revolution which btfo entire history in the past 10 years with shitty fantasy novels.
>>
>>8385060
Implying that writing in metered verse is the culmination of literature.
>>
>>8385074
In some works it certainly is, but it hasn't been very popular in the last 100 years and we haven't seen a good epic in a long time.
After all, all of the 'old' sff is prose, which clearly took a lot of inspiration from existing genres.
Wolfe took most of his aesthetic inspiration from modernism, mainly Proust and Melville, symbolism from the Bible and his man fantasy influences were short stories and novellas of Leiber and Vance.
Leiber and Vance themselves were very much emulating the plot and pacing of myths and epics.
Le Guin in Earthsea used oral storytelling as basis.
Tolkien is also an obvious example of combining older elements to try and give them a modern revival.
>>
>>8385093
Implying that the oral tradition is even worthier than the written word.

Never mind the corruption by propagation and the Irish myths that grew by being "embellished" every time they passed on until they became utterly ridiculous.
>>
>>8385110
What the fuck are you even talking about retard?
>>
>>8385114
Implying that ad hominems are the supreme way of winning an argument.
>>
>Rand has captured Semirhage
>doesn't balefire her face on sight

She's just been captured and I already know she is going to fucking escape. What is even the point in keeping her alive you goddamn retard?
>>
>>8385110
>irish
No one gives a shit about irish oral tradition. Greek is where it's always been at.
>>
>>8385093
Implying that a novel needs a genealogy a mile long to be even considered literature.
>>
>>8385195
You know of any that doesn't?
>>
File: 1451727608934.png (179KB, 492x369px) Image search: [Google]
1451727608934.png
179KB, 492x369px
It is not that modern literature is bad, its just that a lot of bad writters get attention and sell a lot, so the good ones end buried in a pile of excrement.
>>
I want a book about magic, I want magic done, a LOT of it, I don't care about it having amazing prose, though plot is good, this is for entertainment, similar to what I've read so far: Jonathan Strange, Mistborn, The Magicians (Lev Grossman), HP
Thank you
>>
>>8385271
Equal Rites
>>
>>8385271

>HP

So we're talking bottom of the barrel utter plebshit? Rothfuss it is then.
>>
>>8385297

No feminism please
>>
>>8385301

I was like 14 and I only got to the 5th book
I have read The name of The wind
>>
>>8385302
It's not feminism. It's equality. Says so in the title. Learn2read
>>
>>8385307
To the average person equality=feminism, unfortunately.
>>
>>8385311

The dictionary, wikipedia, basically everywhere but 4chan seems to think feminism is the idea that men and women are equal and should be treated equally. Here of course we take the ideology of a handful of insane tumblr users and consider them the official party line of feminism so that we can rage against it.
>>
>>8385318
Think about it, it's very simple.
Would you consider masculism something positive? Something that's the same as equality?
>>
>>8385302
>>8385271

Is there ANYTHING apart from The Magicians that's set in urban environment And that isn't complete garbage 13 year old written fanfic tier
>>
>>8382922

Only read the first book but it was fantastic, I loved the world they built and all the "science" that goes into how the daily lives of outer space people work. I heard they spin their wheels a lot later on because it was a planned trilogy that got turned into a fucking billion books.
>>
>>8385345
Books set in Ankh Morpork
>>
>>8383806

I don't think this has ever been true.
>>
>>8385311
My definition of equal is that I get 80% and you get 20% of the good stuff. That's only fair.

Now go and check for examples in the real world. Hint: feminism.
>>
>>8385345

The Lies of Locke Lamora, I wasn't a fan but it's pretty highly regarded.
>>
>>8385236
Hence why chart anon reads the unknown unpopular ones, to bring to light the hidden gem.

Basically I'm cave diver who only goes into feet thick shit filled caves, and you guys shit on me when I return with a diamond in the rough.
>>
What you lads think about Zothique and other Clark Ashton Smith tales? He wrote both sci fi and fantasy, and I like him as much as Lovecraft even if I read only but a couple of tales (zothique not included)
>>
File: 1460772990140.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1460772990140.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>8385345
Pssstttt. Look at male part and see if you like anything from it.

I thought I wouldn't have to post it again
>>
>>8385411
>same monster he is reading about turns up
>such a coincidence
aaand dropped
I bet it's filled with cliches and stupid infuriating tropes.
>>
>>8385311

That's what feminism is though, if someone doesn't want feminism then he doesn't want equality it's as simple as that.
>>
>>8384738
Yeah I've read the first two. They were decent enough, especially the first - it had some pretty cool ideas. The third one got such universally shit reviews I didn't bother with it.
>>
All memes aside, how good actually is THe PrINce of ThornS?
>>
>>8385490
THINTS?
>>
>>8385491

yes
>>
>>8385494
THPINTS
>>
>>8385499

the phrincze
>>
File: 92755.jpg (24KB, 244x400px) Image search: [Google]
92755.jpg
24KB, 244x400px
Can I get some recs similar to this? Really like its atmosphere, like almost nothing else I've read. The perfect antidote to an overdose of GRI.
>>
>>8385541
>The perfect antidote to an overdose of GRI.

The only antidote for GRI is more GRI to build up your tolerance, if you are weak enough to need any in the first place.
>>
>>8385481
Whale pls. >>8385339
You wouldn't recognize equality even if you had it.
>>
File: Marshall_Applewhite.jpg (32KB, 512x386px) Image search: [Google]
Marshall_Applewhite.jpg
32KB, 512x386px
>>8385440
Whoah judging a book by its Pulp Cover that is pretty hardcore mate
>>
>>8385490
It actually is shit.
>>
What would you recommend him?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/4x5tew/i_need_an_actually_fun_fantasy_series/
>>
>>8385633
It's on reddit so no.
>>
>>8385633
Orphans of Chaos
>>
reading way of kings now

is there any rule 34/erotic fanfic of kaladin and the windspren?
>>
>>8384580
Then we're all Jews, Anon. Some of Egan's best books are 20 years old, anyway. I think nobody would really hold it against you.

Try secondhand bookstores near your house, or thriftbooks.com. I got Heretics of Dune, Caesar by Colleen McCullough, and A Short History of Byzantium by JJ Norwich for less than $11. Still nothing better than a secondhand bookstore though. The smell and being able to browse.

>>8384686
Peanut butter and egg sandwich. Don't knock it til you've tried it, it's dank.

>>8385004
Did you actually see it? The dialog and emotional bullshit is a bit cheesy, but the action is solid. Pulpy, just as Burroughs intended. And I don't think anybody was from SNL. It did have Caesar/Mance Rayder in it though.
>>
>>8385633
>implying I'll open a redshit link
>implying I'll help a redshitor
>>>/r/eddit
>>
File: Spaceman_Blues.jpg (36KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
Spaceman_Blues.jpg
36KB, 333x500px
>>8385354
>tfw I actually read this
>>
>>8385690
Sorry I meant, Friday Night Lights.
>the action is solid
Is it comparable with any good 80's action? Nigger if you'll make me watch some garbage modern Hollywood shit with CGI and fags with swords I swear I'll come to your home and beat your ass.
>>
>>8385648
Delete this
>>
>>8385648

DONT BULLY THE WINDSPREN
SHE IS NOT A SEXUAL OBJECT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee
>>
File: gallery_9620_6_31071.jpg (153KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_9620_6_31071.jpg
153KB, 1200x1200px
>>8385749
>>8385648
>>
>>8385754
>WINDSPREN
Ahcthuallie she is a honor spren
>>
>>8385735
Well that depends. It's no Conan the Barbarian, though thanks to Burroughs the story is good (they mostly follow it). But it's also no The Mummy memery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6vlvdsaGhU

I'd say that that's the worst fight in the movie.
>>
Just bought all three books of The Prince of Nothing. What am I in for? Dune is my favorite series btw, as a standard to measure by.
>>
>>8385771

Why'd you buy 3 copies of one book???
>>
>>8385776
It's a trilogy you dingus.
>>
>>8385764
>It's no Conan the Barbarian
No deal, then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huTKdSZMRPg
>>
>>8385776
PoN is the trilogy

First book is called the darkness that comes before

>>8385771
You're in for dune meets grimdark Tolkien. First book is the slowest in the series, but it's all uphill from there. Warrior prophet is probably his best book.
>>
>>8385757
will it fit? i guess she can always straddle it and grind up and down, or maybe he can shove her down his urethra

is there any pleasure in urethral stimulation?
>>
File: crusading.png (755KB, 1280x830px) Image search: [Google]
crusading.png
755KB, 1280x830px
>>8385771
It's a picaresque trilogy with GR but without the I.
Also pic related.
>>
>>8385796
Stop!
>>
>>8385802
>without the I

Bruh those imperial chapters
>>
>>8385806
Damn I forgot, although: that Incest was depicted to have happened with a later revealed skinspy.
>>
>>8385796
I've had a catheter and I can assure you there's no pleasure at all having anything shoved into your urethra. It was a real nightmare.
>>
>>8385811
No no, he flashes back to being a kid and getting an hj from mummy
>>
>>8385126
Just wait a few chapters
>>
>>8385792
I wish they had spent more time on his growing up. Though how much could they really spend, considering that he was chained to that pump the whole time? They could've changed the story though.

I'm kinda hyped for that hypothetical third Conan movie they're thinking about with Schwarzenegger. I loved Conan, don't understand all the hate for Destroyer.
>>
>>8385126

Mm...
>>
>>8385795
>>8385802
Noice. I don't mind GRI as long as it's good and serves a purpose. The most pointless GRI I've encountered is probably The Library Policeman.
>>
>>8385126

>WOTbook12_the_gathering_storm.azw3
>>
File: 3.webm (801KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
3.webm
801KB, 854x480px
>>8385803
there's no need to be upset

you can just lick her, there doesn't have to be penetration
>>
>>8383743
No, but with many years of not sucking under your belt, maybe one day you will be.
>>
>>8385840
It's no MIlius. Milius is what made Conan good.
>>
>>8385796

NO! THE SPREN ARE NOT SEXUAL STOP SEXUALYISING THE WIND AND HONOR SPREN STOP NOW
>>
How are Peter E Hamilton's books? Never heard of them before but I'm on holiday here in Spain and I grabbed it since it sounded remotely interesting, though I found I ended up getting the second book in his Night's Dawn trilogy, seems like an interesting concept but does /sffg/ hold it in high regard?
>>
File: twok_ephemera-4_relief-webres.jpg (428KB, 791x1200px) Image search: [Google]
twok_ephemera-4_relief-webres.jpg
428KB, 791x1200px
>>8385888
The sexspren are probably sexual. Or, to be pedantic, arousalspren or libidospren.
>>
What are the best Star Trek novels?
>>
Guys, I have kind of a request.

A brother of mine have severe autism and wants to have a tattoo about symbolism from The Kingkiller Chronicles. The thing is, he wants the cultural symbol of the Edema Ruh on his skin, but we can't find shit.

Has Rothfuss ever stated a cultural symbol for them?
If you have something related or know if it even exists, plz post.

Pic related.
>>
File: 1441426977104.jpg (184KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1441426977104.jpg
184KB, 500x370px
>>8386330
AHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>8386336
Yeah, I know.

Still, he asked me for help and I can't say no.
>>
What's some sci fi with particularly well written characters, but not necessarily well written plot/world?
>>
>>8386330
>>8386350
You could try going straight to the source; Rothfuss tweets a lot and does reddit stuff. That way it'd be officially canonical or whatever.
>>
>>8386362
Book of the New Sun, but it also has a particularly well written plot.
>>
>>8386330
Why don't you force him to read some better books?
>>
>>8386383
Forcing someone with severe autism? Brilliant!
>>
>List of paintings that come to life in China's new book
>#4 is spooky scary skeletons
Kek. Why can't my copy arrive sooner?

http://suvudu.com/2016/08/5-horrors-from-china-mievilles-the-last-days-of-new-paris-that-will-freak-you-the-eff-out.html
>>
What fantasy books would you guys recommend to someone who enjoyed ASOIAF (inb4 pleb, yes I am) ?

I read "Prince of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence but thought it was shit. Currently I've almost finished "A Shadow In Summer" and although the characters are much more interesting the plot moves pretty slowly.

Also, I got tired of reading "took a pose" every 2 sentences. The quasi-Asian setting annoys me somewhat. The magic in it is also interesting.
>>
File: And still I feel nothing.jpg (70KB, 662x491px) Image search: [Google]
And still I feel nothing.jpg
70KB, 662x491px
>>8386370
Good idea, thanks.

>>8386383
He has.
But still...
>>
>>8386438
Try The Red Knight by Cameron. It's also multi POV like Asoiaf.
>>
>>8386452
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>8382434
His honesty. You know everything he writes is without compromise even if you might not like every bit.
That is the reason i respect him
>>
>>8386488

Hi Bakker, you still browsing after you were discovered?
>>
>>8386557
What about you Wolfe? Isn't it time for you to hop into your grave already? Do us the favor.
>>
>>8386557
>after you were discovered

story?
>>
>>8386563
Shit I lost proof in my weekly meme purge.
>>
>>8386563
Literally a bait post.

This guy grasping straws as hard as he can.
>>
>>8386563
Two threads ago or so, somebody made fun of him and got and angry reply that ended with "and so what if I smoke pot."
>>
File: hibakker.png (130KB, 1249x578px) Image search: [Google]
hibakker.png
130KB, 1249x578px
>>8386563
>>8386570
>>8386593
>>8386595

Found it
>>
>>8386431
So is it a novel or not? Wikipedia has had it listed as an "upcoming novella" for months, but now presses describing it as a novel. Maybe it's just a short novel?

It'd just be nice to get something more than a hundred pages or two out of it.
>>
>>8386606
Scott has taken up taoposting, I see.
>>
File: hibakker.png (169KB, 1830x578px) Image search: [Google]
hibakker.png
169KB, 1830x578px
>>8386619

taoposting? What do you mean?
With all the replies if anyone cares to save it to preserve it
>>
So what other writers actually browse /lit/?
>>
>>8386610
Think it's something like 220p, right on the borderline. Though iirc This Census-Taker was about that and only ever described as a novella, which is a bit weird.
>>
>>8386635
Just a guess but probably Scalzi.
>>
>>8386625
Jesus Christ these ghetto newfags it's disgusting
>>
>>8386635
Marc Aramini
Laurie Penny
Tao Lin
These 3 are 100% confirmed, high chance for bakker, rumours of Pynchon.
I'm probably forgetting one or two.
>>
>>8386750
>Pynchon
Pynchon probably shitposts about Metal Gear Solid and anime from time to time.
>>8386606
>>8386625
This is comedy gold.
>>8386635
Dante, obviously.
>>
>>8386672
Scalzi posts somewhat regularly on metafilter, which tends to look at 4chan the same way 4chan looks at reddit. So he is certainly aware of 4chan, but wouldn't want to be caught posting here.

I don't really know how those folks feel about /lit/ specifically, but they tend to believe that the entire site has been taken over by /pol/ and that substantive discussion is impossible (sadly kind of true).
>>
What a coincidence.
>>
Just finished WoT last night

Really comfy but bummed about Aviendha's legs, Gallad's Arm, and other instances of people being maimed.

Also, I think it is important to consider that Perrin is an unreliable narrator because he suggests to Mattrim that they are no longer ta'veren simply because they no longer feel Rand needing them
>>
>>8386915
Probably my favorite part of book 12 was Demandred stomping every named character who faced him up until the end
>>
>>8386877
What's hilarious about theses "It's /pol/'s fault!" posts is they're so new they don't remember when r/books bridged so hard that every post/thread mentioning Lovecraft, Card etc. was spammed with "Racist! Sexist! Homophobe!".
>>
>>8386922
That felt very real, and I'm inclined to agree. However, it feels cheap the Triple-ring Gawyn fared worse than Galad

Also did Rand bring Lan back to life, or just nudge him? if the former, then it felt cheap.

I knew as soon as Lan was fighting Demandred how it was going to end because of his lesson to Rand about sheathing the sword
>>
>>8386964
I know, lets discuss Mieville, his depiction of Anarcho-Communism really hit home, does anybody else #LateStageCapitalism?
>>
>>8386973
I think it's because Gawyn was an ass and egwene was slated to die as well

Also, I felt it was more like a nudge, but what's the difference really.
>>
>>8386964
What are you even talking about? They hate reddit even more than 4chan over there because they know 4chan is supposed to be in good fun, while reddit is often taken "seriously" despite being an idiotic echo chamber.

I'm not sure you have any idea what I'm talking about right now, so maybe you should drop it with the "new" shit. I'm talking about a community that has been around for longer than 4chan for crissake.
>>
>>8386987
What's Russell Brands opinion of Le Guin's critique of Capitalism and Amazon?
>>
>>8386995
>Amazon
That's not what "The Word for World is Forest" means, anon.
>>
>>8386997
I blame the lack of public funding towards libraries for this blunder.
>>
File: 9780356506388.jpg (19KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
9780356506388.jpg
19KB, 266x400px
Apparently Anthony Ryan's new book came out last month.
>>
>>8387048
It was ok. Interesting premise, mediocre execution. Suffered from too many PoVs like the last 2 blood songs, but that potentially can be cut down in the next book.
>>
File: 71KMHBWirEL.jpg (222KB, 800x1187px) Image search: [Google]
71KMHBWirEL.jpg
222KB, 800x1187px
Is it normal to be a little underwhelmed by the first 50 pages? I was pretty excited for this, and I'll keep going, the prologue was not bad, but I'm not seeing much of the high praise I've seen for this yet.
>>
File: unimpressed.jpg (218KB, 792x792px) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed.jpg
218KB, 792x792px
>>8387056

>too many povs

why does he do this
>>
>>8387057
Most series start off with slow ~world building~
>>
>>8387064
Pandering to the new GRRM crowd.
>>
>>8387057
Yes. The first book is the weakest in the entire overarching series, specifically the first half of the book, after which there is a noticeable improvement
>>
>>8387014
Are you blaming anon for thinking WfWiF is Amazon, or blaming other anon for not knowing about Le Guin hating Amazon's bookstore?
>>
>>8387081
(That's the joke)
>>
>>8386982
You may not realize this but capitalism hate is even more wacky than /pol/posting.
>>
>>8387082
Look man stop being subtle just tell me who you hate so I know if I should hate you for it.
>>
>>8387064
You would think a dragon hunting safari would be interesting enough to stand on its own, but I guess multiple PoVs are all the rage.
>>
>>8387093
They're parodying what happens on /lit/ when the recommendation charts get posted on Reddit.
>>
>>8387102
>dragon hunting safari
You know, that sounds cool on the face of it, but then I remembered that dragons are the go-to mythical beast now when Burroughs invented about a million of them, and I feel sad.

There's a scene in the novel I'm working on where pre-samurai Japanese horse archers are on a safari hunting stegosaurus.
>>
>>8387119
They're hunting one dragon on a continent of thousands of dragons, so I see your point. But I think there was a lot of missed potential, by drawing focus away from the safari.
>>
File: Jain_Farstrider.jpg (38KB, 250x332px) Image search: [Google]
Jain_Farstrider.jpg
38KB, 250x332px
>>8386985
To me it would be the difference between dead and almost dead

>There will never a The Adventures of Jain Farstrider or Thom Merrilin
>>
I just bought Dune, what should I expect from it? Is it good?
>>
>>8387068
>>8387077
Why is this acceptable? Shit writing is shit writing.
>>
>>8387217
It's good if "ecopolitics" sounds interesting to you.

If you have low IQ I think you will find it dull and hard to follow.
>>
>>8387230
I think the Akka chapters are solid, but you don't appreciate how comfy they are yet.

It just struggles until the holy war gets off the ground
>>
>>8387241
>high IQ is needed to read books meme

WHEN WILL IT END?
>>
>>8386560
Wolfe isn't going to die, unless that is someone successfully locates his phylactery
>>
>>8387280
When it stops being true, of course.

Besides, there's no causative assertion. I'm just making the observation that some people like a certain book more or less than some other people, and that there are some commonalities within those two groups.
>>
File: Autism Chart.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Chart.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>8386330
Which ones apply to him (and seeing as it runs in the family) to you as well?
>>
>>8387606
If you spot autism early can you influence what direction it goes in, or does it just default to Pokemon? I was thinking about what I'd do if I had an autistic kid, if I could get them into cars or something so they could always get a job as human encyclopedia at a garage when they grew up.
>>
File: Not Approved.jpg (491KB, 1600x1137px) Image search: [Google]
Not Approved.jpg
491KB, 1600x1137px
>>8386452
>>
>>8387103
Umm... no one posted chart anon's chart on redshit have they?... it has our general watermarked... I don't want to have a trail leading back to us. Outer /lit/'s top 100 books brought too many newfags.
>>
>>8387653
they get posted every week at a minimum friend.
>>
>>8387606
He said severe, so probably all.
>>
>>8387657
This chart? >>8382056 I don't believe you, it gets posted here... not there... you better be jesting. Because I didn't slave away for hours making that chart so redshitfags can enjoy themselves reading.
>>
Lads, which is your favourite Culture novel and why?
>>
File: 1413796530090.webm (1MB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1413796530090.webm
1MB, 900x506px
I write these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.
>>
>>8387611
It really works best to just encourage them to pursue whatever interests they happen to develop by helping facilitate it. For everything else, you can only hope to help them develop the coping skills and self-awareness to deal with the rest of the world. I think the autistic mind is capable of experiencing a kind of cognitive pleasure that is unique and characteristically intense, which can be a source of great strength. But whatever skills the individual has or doesn't have in working around the difficulties of daily life will be the limiting factor in how "useful" that intensity can become.

And that's why I'm glad my parents made me go to therapy.
>>
>>8387726
I've only read Consider Phlebas and Player of Games. I'm reading Use of Weapons right now.

So far I would say Consider narrowly wins out. It's all just a bit pulpy and dated, but with this kind of upbeat yet sarcastic humor that only adds to the experience. There's something about a motley crew of pirates that is so charming and amusing.

I'm too early into Use to make any comment on how that one compares yet. I know it was written quite a bit later, so maybe it will have a different feel.
>>
>>8387890
I liked the motley crew of pirates, but the gloom over absolutely all of it put me off from Culture ever since. One of the most depressing books I've ever read.
>>
culture series sucks
>>
>>8387985
books suck
>>
>>8387872
That was a pretty good twist.
>>
>>8387985
I only read the first one. I felt like I was supposed to join in the author's delight as the boring culture cheerfully genocides the more dynamic and interesting one.

Creepy shit.
>>
>>8386915
Goddamn do I fucking wish Jordan would have lived to finish his beloved series. Book 11 seemed so fucking promising. Sanderson manages to wrap everything up, which is truly an accomplishment in and of itself, but the whole fucking thing could have been so much better. If you compare Jordan's prose from when the series was in its prime to Sanderson's schlock, it's fucking night and day.
>>
>>8388119
Yeah, muslim space nazis weren't that bad at all.
>>
File: shit_taste.jpg (2MB, 1440x2700px) Image search: [Google]
shit_taste.jpg
2MB, 1440x2700px
r8 my taste /lit/
>>
>>8388226
your taste is average
>>
>>8388226
>first law
>8/10

wew lad you better lube up
>>
>>8388226
First Law is a big offense son.
>>
>>8384686
Ayy, I literally just had a mozzarella quesadilla.
>>
My face when Leto die ;__;
Can't wait for Heretics.
>>
>>8387920
I'm a philistine in this thread since plot driven fiction kind of gets me bored easily, because I can see through most of the lamp shading and foreshadowing of it. Feels so artificial. So yes, non-fiction is my cup of tea. (Yes, I'm fucking insufferable.)

But I read Consider Phlebas, somebody sold it to me as "Star Wars for grown ups".

Banks(RIP) knew his craft, I found he wrote in a pasionate, vivid way about the characters, their motivations, the moral and politic dillemas, even the common narrative devices like the aforementioned motley crew, the (mandatory) romance, the twists, etc, were funny. The world-building was interesting enough for a space-opera with transhumanist hue. The end was depressing, yes, but felt appropiate.

After that I wanted to dive into the Hidrogen Sonata, but I couldn't. (It wasn't as disappointing as House of Suns, those millions years old transhumanist fuckers cannot stop being simple-minded decimononical uptights, how quaint).

Hydrogen Sonata's premise was good, but the tropes and cliche after-taste made me drop it. I think I'll give another try in reading some Banks, maybe the player of games or use of weapons.

Meanwhile I'm reading "I'm a strange loop" and RU Sirius' Transcendence. But I'm still wondering if there is something better than Consider Phlebas in the post-singularity space-opera genre.

Cheers.
>>
>>8388225
>muslim space nazis
Almost as creepy as hegemonic swarms, if the culture is cancer, the idirans were as good as tuberculosis.
>>
>>8388226
Curious what did you not like about BSR? I was thinking of reading it
>>
>>8387985
anti-bakkerfag, are you branching out?
>>
Anyone else see fantasy as the world's perennial literary tradition, and all others as mere shadows of it?
>>
>>8388226
>Stormlight 6, Amber 10

That seems like the most telling contrast. I don't disagree, but I'd probably put Stormlight even lower, and I'm not familiar enough with Amber yet to call it.

The first Earthsea book might be a genuine 10, and I think serves as a model of what fantasy is capable of, a single author reproducing some part of the depth of organic mythological traditions. That one's the real test.
>>
>>8388388
There are people who dislike things other than me.
>>
>>8386438
I put Mark Lawrence on my mental do-not-read list when I saw he could barely answer a question about what books he's read and liked.
>>
>>8383628
Nope, it's shit. Read Gor if you want a pulp fantasy.
>>
>>8387611
How about you take him to Las Vegas to play BJ. That way he'll never have to work and intereact with people.
>>
Daily reminder that you should read "punk" trinity:
Neuromancer
Windup Girl
Difference Engine
>>
>>8388226
>BSR rated that low
>Blade Itself rated that high
Pleb/10
>>
>>8388480
Neorumancer was really bad.
The prose made no sense half of the time, the characters and plot are a generic 80s action movie. There's nothing good about it.
>>
Are Discworld novels worth reading?
>>
>>8384994
This is another one of those things which immediately identify a pleb.

"Older stuff is just better".
>>
>>8388573
>This is another one of those things which immediately identify a pleb.
>"Newer stuff is just better".
>>
>mfw /sffg/ can't wrap its head around the very simple concept that there are good and bad old books, and also good and bad new books

A retarded toddler could grasp this, come the fuck on
>>
>>8388586
There is only one person who has a problem with that concept. It's the dinoposter.
>>
>>8388586
The old good books are better than the new good books.
Prove me wrong. Even the fucking first novel of all time (disputable), the Satyricon, is funnier than any comedy garbage you can find on tv today or in books.
>>
>>8388510

Only if you're an archeologist.
>>
>>8388586

That might be true but you must also accept that there are bad books written by females and that's the only thing they are capable of writing.
>>
>>8388656
That might be true but you must also accept that there are retarded posts written by shitposters and that's the only thing they are capable of writing.
>>
File: ScreenShot_16-08-11_20-45-17-000.jpg (269KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot_16-08-11_20-45-17-000.jpg
269KB, 1920x1080px
Any recommendations for a science fiction or space opera series similar to Legend of the Galactic Heroes? I want something expansive with lots of characters and morally gray conflicts.

Stuff along the lines of, as mentioned, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Dune, or Foundation.
>>
Fuck I think I got the wrong book, which one was recommended here, The Prince of Thorns or The Prince of Nothing?
>>
>>8388667
That might be true but you must also accept that there are delusional posts written by leftists and that's the only thing they are capable of writing.
>>
>>8388741
That might be true but you must also accept that there are blatantly slothful posts written by people who don't want to bother reading and who will do anything to avoid reading including whinging about how leftist books are on a Singaporean Carpetweaving Board and that's the only thing they are capable of writing.
>>
>>8388510
They get off to a rocky start and peter out long before the end, but there's a fat stretch in the center worth reading
>>
>>8388733
Quantum Thief. Red Rising. Bonus points for both being set entirely in the Solar System.

As I understand it, C.J. Cherryh had something along those lines as well. I keep my eyes open for that sort of thing, but I'm more attracted by vibrant future cultures; e.g., countries aren't all "Union of Federation of Allied etc." copies of 20th-century Western nations, values that we hold sacred aren't necessarily held sacred in the future, planets don't always have just one government, that sort of thing. I can forgive LoGH because it's making a point, but I like to feel like history's actually happened between now and the setting.

Also, is that outfit legal? I am pretty sure Sharia law condemns it. Somebody should sue Blizzard.
>>
File: 1470269429418.jpg (65KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1470269429418.jpg
65KB, 500x375px
>>8388176
>compare Jordan's prose from when the series was in its prime
I'm sure his prime was long before he died.
That said, I'm sure any "ending" books would be filled with his hair tugging shit that y'all complain so much about.
He was on a decline as an author from piecing together what yall said(I'm not reading to confirm shit, I'm not touching any Terry's and not touching WoT), not an ascent.

You think you would get enjoyable books as what first drew you in if he was still healthy? His wife would have made him follow the goodkind way, and milk that series to 20+, maybe 40+ books.

Some of you readers are so delusional, you keep telling yourself that the NEXT book will get better, even when you see the author stick a pen in their butt and gyrate on a page and send the scribbles to the publisher, you still buy.... I was the same but I overcame my autism.

This fucking autistic cunt thinks that Sanderson didn't make your series better. I've only seen praise for Sanderson finishing the books. I bet you are one of those self masochistic freaks, who gets an erection every time somebody smooths their skirts, or tugs their braids.
>>
>>8388403
Hi dino, how are you?
>>
>>8388823
Pretty good, but Earthsea and Amber are a 6 for me.
Financial law is fucking awful, I literally stopped reading philosophy because it rapes me mentally.
>>
>>8388833
Your hate for Sanderson (and anything new) shines through all your posts. It's like you have autism and you can't control yourself.
>>
>>8386263
Redshirts
>>
>>8388842
Anything new isn't true for fantasy even if almost every new novel I've read has been shit.
Golden Age was surprisingly decent, free market memes were plenty.
Gene Wolfe is consistently a good writer and Land Across is quite good thus far, 60 pages in. Better than the Borrowed Man.
But also 2666 was written in 2006 I believe and it was amazing, probably the best work of the decade.
Alasdair MacIntyre is still writing and so is Edward Feser, albeit they are not even fiction.
But the original post you respond to wasn't mine and contrary to popular belief, people dislike Sanderson because he's shit and I didn't post very much these past few months.
>>
>>8388846
That's a legitimately fun book
>>
>>8388849
New Wolfe is terrible and several levels below Sanderson. Not even his hardcore fanboys rate his works above 2-3 stars now. Sorry gramps, but it's time to accept reality.
>>
>>8388510
Yes.
>>
>>8388226
Good. Although I hope you're rating the whole first law trilogy and not just TBI.
>>
>>8387057
Yeah that's fine. Once it gets past "Achamian Investigates" and into the Holy War is when it gets good.
>>
>>8388851
Eh, it was OK.
There is a television adaptation announced. Maybe they'll even make it one day.
>>
>>8387872

You could tell Brandon wrote all 3 books together before publishing the first one, because all the foreshadowing and plot twists like that work really neatly from the start. The hemalurgic earring was notably well pulled off IMO.
>>
>>8388888

The pulling back the curtains of the magic systems was done really well overall. When Spook got two powers I was really annoyed because I thought Brandon was breaking his own systems, but it made a lot of sense when it was actually explained.
>>
Lord of light was nice.
Death God now has a cute loli who he will groom to be his fuck toy.....
Why yall suggested this shit to me?
>>
>>8388817
I think it depends on what you're looking for out of a series.

Jordan wove too many plots and toward the middle was giving low payout relative to the amount of content because he was going through so many different plot-points at the same speed as the beginning when there were fewer and less contrived plots.

Definitely a skill that shouldn't be lacking in a large undertaking, but I enjoyed how the people grew and enjoyed how they developed their worldviews.

I think that he was setting it up to do small stories about certain characters of Legend or minor characters, but he wouldn't have done a direct continuation.

20+ or 40+ books is ridiculous. Are the goodkind books any good or does it feel like Naruto/DBZ where you can tell the author doesn't have an idea of what he wants to happen?
>>
>>8388888

Thanks for the spoilers..... /s
>>
>>8388739
Prince of nothing
>>
>>8389101

Fuck.
>>
>>8388760
>values that we hold sacred aren't necessarily held sacred in the future

>character in a science fiction novel meets a gay person or cloned person or artificial intelligence or whatever in the far future
>character reacts exactly like a modern person
>>
A big thanks to the anon that reminded me of Pushing Ice the other day, it was nice to finally finish it.
I forgot how retarded everyone is in it
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56KB, 537x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56KB, 537x540px
>>8389399
Yep, a lot of the characterization--especially among the humans--was buttfucking retarded. Cool stuff going though. And that xboxhuge megastructure.
>>
>>8389621
Megastructures are just too rare in SF.
>>
W H E N
H
E
N
>>
>>8390072
W h a t?
H
A
T
?
>>
Are you guys hyped for The Unholy Consult coming next year?
>>
>>8390149
N E W
E
W
>>
>>8390158
No.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>8390221
>>8390221
>>8390221
*whew* managed to slip my thread in in front of the othes
>>
>>8388505
It's because that's the novel that put all those tropes in that particular genre. In the same sense Enio Moricone became the guy to imitate when aiming to do a cliched western OST.
>>
>>8389826
underrated non-sarcasm post
/Not sarcasm
/really?
>>
>>8390316
Not exactly, or rather, Neuromancer has ni qualities beyond the tropes of the genre, but usually works with similar status do. Having tropes didn't magically limit Gibson to write the characters as more human, more interesting, with more thematic depth and so on.
>>
A lot of the lesser known fantasy/sci-fi I try to pick up is nerdy as fuck. Like Malazan and Blindsight. It's all very impressive and smart and whatever, but it's just not really my thing. What is some underrated fantasy/sci-fi with the emotional resonance of stuff like Star Wars and GRRM? Recently I started that The Magicians trilogy and I'm greatly enjoying. inb4 people think I'm baiting, /lit/ is so contrarian
>>
>>8390371
Malazan is one of the most mainstream fantasy series out there.
Also, there is very little 'smart' in it.
>>
>>8390391

Holy shit.
>>
>>8390417
I dunno. I think you mainly need a good memory to enjoy Malazan.
>>
>>8390471

I mean, I'm reading these books too, but you have to agree it's somewhat of a strain and that it's a largely cerebral pleasure. I've always preferred my art/entertainment sentimental.
>>
>>8390484
I guess you're right inasmuch as one doesn't just frolic through the text. I'm finding them more enjoyable while reading short trashy books in parallel.
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.