/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was reading Pindar, enjoying the olives and laurels and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Farnese_Diadumenos_BM_501.jpg (32KB, 320x704px) Image search: [Google]
Farnese_Diadumenos_BM_501.jpg
32KB, 320x704px
I was reading Pindar, enjoying the olives and laurels and the balmy breath of the Olympics in our routines, but his work let me down. I thought he was going to be a supreme poet of imagery and metaphor, a great singer of the beauty of the human body and soul as mirrors where the Cosmos could see itself and rejoice on its own grandeur. But instead he is not only confused, not only far more interested in names of heroes and myths than in the humanity behind them, but also his metaphors are not striking, not sublime, not daring and breathtaking.

Wikipedia tells me:

>Pindar (c. 522 – c. 443 BC) was an Ancient Greek lyric poet from Thebes. Of the canonical nine lyric poets of ancient Greece, his work is the best preserved. Quintilian wrote, "Of the nine lyric poets, Pindar is by far the greatest, in virtue of his inspired magnificence, the beauty of his thoughts and figures, the rich exuberance of his language and matter, and his rolling flood of eloquence, characteristics which, as Horace rightly held, make him inimitable."

Yes, his work is one of the best preserved on antiquity, yet I don’t know how it can be. The few fragments of Sappho promise a much greater poetic mind, and, as a poet, Aeschylus (to me the greatest poet of ancient Greece, with Homer) is by far superior to Pindar in every way.
>>
>>8378857
>the rich exuberance of his language
Well if you are reading a translation you are missing out on this completely.
Poetry is not easily translatable.
>>
>>8378878

Yes, I know that the sonority (assonance, alliteration) and the rhythm and beats of the verses are all completely lost, but a metaphor will still be a metaphor even in another language. I was reading the poems in a free-verse translation, where the translator took great care not to limit or remove any bit of information of the original works.

He translated a whole anthology of ancient Greek poetry, and for what I can tell by reading the prefaces Pindar was his favorite, so I guess he would be even extra careful with him.
>>
>>8378894
Maybe pindar was more of a pushkin than a Shakespeare
>>
>>8378901

Yes, that is what I am suspecting. You said it right: if there is one poet who loses all to translation is Pushkin, while Shakespeare is divine in any language.
>>
Bump for poetry about sports and the beauty of the human body. Do you guys know some good examples?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.