[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Dark and Violent Children's Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: warrior cats.jpg (508KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
warrior cats.jpg
508KB, 700x1000px
Literature has a completely different standard than other media. You can aim books at kids and still feature people dying left and right or kids getting abused, which is impossible in other media like tv.

Note some dark books aimed at young audiences that you know of.

>I began reading Warrior Cats and it really is as violent as people say. Within the first four chapters there's at least one death and a lot of fighting.
>The Secret Life Of Bees has child abuse, suicide, racism, etc
>I haven't read Out of the Dust since I was in elementary but I remember it was very graphic in describing how the girl burned her mother with oil and how her mother's life was painful until she died.
>>
I heard Coraline was dark but I didn't notice anything particularly dark. Maybe for an eight year old but a ten year old probably wouldn't find it scary
>>
File: 11233988.jpg (31KB, 318x442px) Image search: [Google]
11233988.jpg
31KB, 318x442px
>>8377999
>>
>>8378005
I remember reading it when i was about 11. There is a fucked up part about coraline alluding to masturbating and a slight against the jews. Interesting stuff.
>>
>>8377999
Anyone else think jk rowling went too far with the 5 page description of dumbledore touching harry in the private meeting?
>>
>>8378113

What? I read it a year ago and I didn't see any of that.
>>
>>8378113
?
>>
>>8378005
It's all relative. The intended audience for Coraline is what, 8-12? It's not going to be as dark as a 'dark' book for teens.
>>
Neverending Story has suicide, war, deaths and people going insane. It's supposed to be for all ages though.
>>
>>8378133

I'm 20 so the film adaptation came out when I was pretty young. It wasn't scary then either.
>>
>>8378165
So, you were 13 when the film came out in 2009 if you saw it right when it came out. Meaning a kid in their early teens wasn't scared of an animated film for 10 year olds. Big deal.

It's not like I'm saying Coraline is super dark or scary either, just that you have to look at things in context when dealing with children's lit.
>>
>>8378175

Is three years that big a difference? Maybe mild body horror doesn't so it for me.
>>
>>8378192
>Is three years that big a difference?

When you're in you twenties? Not really. I'm 28, and the difference between me now and me at 25 isn't huge. But the younger you are, the bigger the difference will be. The difference between an 18 y/o and a 15 y/o is noticeable, between a 10 y/o and a 13 y/o is pretty big, and the difference between a 7 y/o and a 4 y/o is pretty huge.
>>
>>8378084

I heard that wasn't a kids book actually, but it's hard to tell.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.