[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writer vs Critic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: johnson.jpg (1MB, 1024x776px) Image search: [Google]
johnson.jpg
1MB, 1024x776px
What is /lit/ more comfortable with? Critiquing or Writing?
>>
File: simpsons 112.jpg (53KB, 460x647px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons 112.jpg
53KB, 460x647px
>>8377660
>>
To do actual critiquing though means years and probably decades of study so you understand the topic you're weighing when you bring up a reference to something person A did and person B did better 500 years ago in a small town in portugal.

Ruskins don't come that often.

While writing anyone can take up freely as long as they have a feeling or understanding of the topic at hand and make it somewhat passable.
>>
File: 1470280348988.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470280348988.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>8377664
>providing legitimate criticism is easy
>>
>>8377672
if legitimate criticism is difficult and requires a vast knowledge of the subject, surely it follows that legitimately good writing that is free of such criticism would be just a difficult to write?
>>
>>8377672
>Ruskins

fucking gross
>>
>>8377698

Most great writers had a healthy foundation of latin and greek so it's not that they aren't say as well studied as critics are. But they're in no way to require the same amount of knowledge outside of their immediate interest or field.

I'm more saying writing is almost of a spiritual nature and can be honed in different ways then a critics hand can traditionally be. A critic can feel the same way a writer can of a work and express the same words but he's deciphering, explaining, not so much being the creator of something totally original, but this isn't always the case of course, to stand out is to be original in some way or another.

They're both challenging but i'd pick writing over critiquing. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but the amount of great writers someone can count on their hands vs great critics shows how quickly critics are forgotten by time and just meld in with the rest of their generation.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.