[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

did DFW ever go on record about his feelings re: William Gaddis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

did DFW ever go on record about his feelings re: William Gaddis?
>>
>>8377479
>>8377488
Good thread.
>>
Yea in a couple of interviews I've listened to he's said that his prose is most modeled after gaddis, he said that he admires that gaddis writes truthfully about modern times in another interview, and in another ive read he said that gaddis and pynchon and mcelroy all write commercial avant garde. So typical dfw, likes gaddis but has to find a way to shit on him.
>>
>>8378028
>all write commercial avant garde
kettle yelling nigger and so on
>>
>>8377479
>someone was paid for producing that photograph
>>
>>8378037
And? Do you actually have a point
>>
>>8379398
And?
>>
>>8378028
Kek

That sounds just like him. It's also patently retarded considering how commercially unsuccessful nearly everything Gaddis wrote was. He even comments on how Carpenter's Gothic was the closest thing he wrote to a book for the "man at the airport" and even that failed because people were too dumb to understand it. I know he might've been talking about writing "commercially" for an academic audience rather than a broader one, but even that angle is bullshit because you don't write five books over the course of fourty years if your intent with them any sort of commercial success with them is a priority for you.

If anything I'd say he was projecting his own misgivings about IJ and his own celebrity author status onto them. Especially Gaddis and Pynchon who mostly refused to be involved in the business of self-promotion as a means of selling their books unlike him.

Got any links?
>>
File: 1461815991737.jpg (64KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1461815991737.jpg
64KB, 500x667px
>>8379462
http://www.dfwaudioproject.org/interviews-profiles/

This was the best I could find. Im not even sure which one it was but it was an infinite jest one on the radio where he briefly mentions he modeled he prose after gaddis and hadnt read him until his late twenties. The commercial avant garde comment was one I found in some obscure essay in google scholar, you might be able to find it by typing the boolean phrases or whatever. This is the one where he talks about gaddis and contemporary writing. He also calls pynchon shallow while admitting to including the shadow allusion from GR in IJ. Good read though

http://www.badgerinternet.com/~bobkat/jestwiley2.html
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.