[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the Epic of Gilgamesh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Epic of Gilgamesh.jpg (13KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
Epic of Gilgamesh.jpg
13KB, 250x201px
I've only heard a few slight references to this story and now want to read it. I heard its a extremely old tale and assume its not that good sense i hear of it only once in awhile but still am interested. Are the any good translations of this story?
>>
>>8376052
Yes, there are.
>>
>>8376060
which one though?
>>
>>8376138
>>
File: GilgameshTheKing(1stEd).jpg (35KB, 200x316px) Image search: [Google]
GilgameshTheKing(1stEd).jpg
35KB, 200x316px
>>8376052
Robert Silverberg wrote a novelisation, rather than a translation, titled Gilgamesh The King. I haven't read it, although I intend to do so.

A lot of people seem to like it, and I rate his other books highly, and so I mention it.
>>
learn akkadian for the full experience instead senpai
>>
The japanese animated adaptation
Ganbare, Girugameshu-san!!
>>
>>8376174
>tfw when trying to learn French to read classic /lit/ of that language
>"o look a book i want to read"
>"Don't read translation anon, learn akkadian for full experience"

am i going to have to learn the native language of every classic work?
>>
>>8376201
oui, c'est la seule façon d'en jouir
>>
>>8376219
than how many do you know?
>>
>>8376201
Eventually, yes.
>>
>>8376226
satis ut cacam scribam.
>>
>>8376219
sorry that you have to learn dead languages to get your rocks off pal
>>
>>8376261
Seeing this thread and specking no french, i went to google translate and it says "enough to write a crap" X'D
>>
Why is everyone a faggot in this thread?

>>8376052
OP, Andrew George has the best translation in English in the Penguin version. Usually Penguin gets a bad rap, but their edition of Gilgamesh is probably the best out there. And no, The Epic of Gilgamesh is an incredible work (I honestly prefer it to any Homer). I don't think it gets talked about as much because the West's alienation of the East, but if you read it you'll see how the Epic Relates to extremely important early literature. It may have even influenced Homer, and mentions Biblical events thousands of years before the Old Testament could have been written. It's probably my favorite book desu.
>>
File: Gilgamesh talk.png (242KB, 1920x887px) Image search: [Google]
Gilgamesh talk.png
242KB, 1920x887px
>>
>>8376680
Op here, thanks anon. Ordering it now
>>
>2nd result in google
http://www.aina.org/books/eog/eog.pdf
>>
ITT: SHIT I WILL NEVER READ
>>
>>8378821
ITT: the oldest story of man
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.