[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maupassant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: MAUPASSANT.jpg (150KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MAUPASSANT.jpg
150KB, 1200x1200px
Okay lads its time for a Maupassant thread.
Favorite story?
Opinions on Boule de Suif?
In the Bedroom and The Decoration were my favs.
>>
>>8370324
http://www.cosmoetica.com/B311-DES251.htm
>>
My aunt loves his stuff and gave me his "Best short stories" for birthday.

It's a fucking Wordsworth edition, they don't even name the translator. Has anyone read it? Is it acceptable? (inb4 >translation)
>>
>>8370480
who is the translator?
>>
>>8370567
As I said, they don't name him/her at all.

Ok, I googled a bit, it's the translation available on Gutenberg, by A.E. Henderson, Albert Cohn McMaster and Louise Charlotte Garstin Quesada from "Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant"
>>
>>8370594
It's an accetable translation (desu French is not that hard to learn, not that hard to translate, and not that hard to learn the pitfalls of translation), but holy fuck I'm p sure you just got meme'd by your aunt.
>>
>>8370594
compared it on gutenberg with my penguin translation and it does seem a bit clumsy.
>For several days in succession fragments of a defeated army had passed through the town. They were mere disorganized bands, not disciplined forces. The men wore long, dirty beards and tattered uniforms; they advanced in listless fashion, without a flag, without a leader.
vs
>For several days in succession remnants of a routed army had been passing through the town. They were not disciplined units but bands of stragglers. The men's beards were unkempt and dirty, their uniforms in rags, and they slouched along without colours or regiments.
>>
>>8370641
She's probably never heard of Wordsworth publishing. We aren't english/american. She bought it probably because it was the cheapest edition on Bookdepo

>>8370646
I kind of prefer the first one, to be honest.
>>
>>8370674
ay i just have a few words or repetitions that i autistically dislike such as mere or the without a flag, without a leader.
>>
>>8370718
I actually like that repetition. It's also in the original
>Les hommes avaient la barbe longue et sale, des uniformes en guenilles, et ils avançaient d'une allure molle, sans drapeau, sans régiment.
>>
>>8370718
it is more accurate though
>>
cant remember the name, but that one about a peasant selling his wife to another peasant and drying to displace her in a barrel was hilarious
>>
I dig Maussapant's cynicism regarding human relationships.

And I believe it was The Rooster, that's a fucking funny story.
>>
Guys I have a question. Did Maupassant really wrote a story about some aristocracy people who lived in some manoir and told each other dirty sex stories in order to prevent infection from epidemic? If so, what is the name of that story?
>>
Maupassant like all Frenchies are degenerate scum who romanticize infidelity, sex, and deceit.

Read some American, English, or Japanese literature instead.
>>
>>8371014
But sex is life
>>
>>8370324
Boule de Suif is excellent, his best imo. Wonderfully executed. I also liked Lull-a-bye a lot, The Horla as well as I occassionally think about it. I also liked Moonlight.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.