[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Optimism/Pessimism: Schopenhauer vs Nietzsche

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: SchopVNietzsche.jpg (156KB, 762x500px) Image search: [Google]
SchopVNietzsche.jpg
156KB, 762x500px
> Conclusion: We moderns will more than likely side with Nietzsche when we first encounter both thinkers. Even including creationists who oppose Darwin, because modernity is essentially the idea that life fundamentally has the possibility and the promise of continuing onto more perfect forms by transcending itself beyond the now. Therefore, Nietzsche expresses modernity much better than Schopenhauer in certain respects.

> However, Schopenhauer ends up defending the tougher case with better results. He is the superior philosopher, for he has that mysterious relation to the absolute that preoccupies both great thinkers and great artists alike. By peering into the abyss of himself, Schopenhauer detects the echoes of being. Even though these faint echoes are contaminated by his subjectivity, and resonate perhaps only with others of like disposition, the resonance extends deeply and the totality of cosmos is detected therein.

http://www.hyperboreans.com/heterodoxia/?p=113

Neet stans BTFO?
>>
thought?
>>
Buddha is better than both
>>
The trouble with Nietzsche's argument against pessimism, that we can't objectively/impartially judge life and existence from 'without', is that it can equally be applied to optimism/life-affirmation.

The fact is that both are legitimate positions to take, which works in the absurdist's favour.
>>
>>8368268
>Buddha is better than both

Alliteration?
>>
>>8368457

Buddha bis better bhan both.
>>
>>8368268
I personally love the Buddha's philosophy even though I disagree with the religon as a whole.
>>
>>8368291
Alright we get it, you dont need to keep repeating it
>>
>>8369298

it's a copy pasta?
>>
>>8367831
reddit.com/r/philosophy

you're welcome
>>
Implying Nietzsche was an optimist. He didn't think people could actually change.
>>
>>8370375

He thought humanity could tho
>>
>>8367831
Sounds like drivel put forth by a weak man.

There is no argument with Nietzsche, he has outlined exactly who his readers are meant to be. And he's right. The people that are meant to read him, the people that really agree with him, are people who still possess an expression of vitality towards things in life. Schopenhauer's philosophy is the expression of a spirit in decline. He's not more right than Nietzsche is, unless you too are a person in spiritual decline — then maybe you will see as many problems in life as Schopenhauer saw. Maybe you will share his pessimistic sentiment. That's fine, but you're just in spiritual decline too.

How does Nietzsche "prove" that a person like Schopenhauer is in spiritual decline? By understanding the nature of things better than he did. Nietzsche's notion of will is a step over Schopenhauer's.

Schopenhauer saw in all things the will to live, and propounded that the way to alleviate your suffering is to DENY this will. It is precisely the will to live, life itself, that causes suffering. Life is suffering to Schopenhauer.

1. He is straight up denying life. How this isn't a sign of spiritual decline to you, since he IS life, making this a bizarre form of self-denial, I don't fucking know, unless you share his sentiment wholeheartedly and your way of thinking is characteristic of his.

2. He made an error. The will to life is not in all things. It is not in things that already live in comfort — why would life, that owns itself already, continue striving towards itself? Nietzsche saw this, and dove into the bigger picture because of it. The will in all things is will to power.

So, if will to power is in all things... well, Schopenhauer's denial of life is itself an expression of this. But what kind of person, psychologically, would find denying life a source of power?

A person in decline, that suffers life. A miserable person that hates life, and ultimately, hates himself.
>>
File: 880.jpg (20KB, 474x528px) Image search: [Google]
880.jpg
20KB, 474x528px
>>8371865
I love how Nietzsche's philosophy is just ideological bullying and this can be seen just by engaging with any nietzsche fag. If someone calls you an untermensch or the last man or accuses you of having ressentiment they might just as well call you a "neckbeard" "manchild" "loser" or "faggot". These are essentially all just insults. When you look at Nietzsche's philosophy its all life-apologetics and calls on you to affirm your most petty and selfish emotions (envy, anger, selfhood). It really is the philosophy of being "enlightened by your own intelligence".
>>
>>8371865
Are you quite sure that Schop. talks about will to live, and not instead a more general metaphysical will. That is why offing yourself wasn't an option to schop, since that too is giving in to that will. It,s not will to life, specifically/exclusively i think, so that error you mentioned may be false?
>>
>>8367831
>He is the best because muh feels.
Noetzsche would be proud.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.