[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished rereading this. Is this the absolute epitome

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: LOTR.jpg (34KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
LOTR.jpg
34KB, 316x475px
I just finished rereading this. Is this the absolute epitome of fantasy? Is there even a point to reading genre fiction after this? Surely, nothing else can compare.
>>
>the absolute epitome of fantasy
You're not asking what you think you are. Consult a dictionary and ask again.
>>
>>8367338
>a typical or ideal example

lol?
>>
>>8367332

Honestly, I'd consider it more mythology than genre...Tolkien certainly intended for that.

From there, you can either try deconstructionist fantasy, or straight fantasy that's regarded very well. I'd recommend trying a few different things out and seeing what interests you:

A Game of Thrones (dark yet humanist fantasy with very strong character work)

Mistborn (deconstructionist fantasy)

The Book of the New Sun (genre approaching literary)
>>
>>8367349
Ya, then read the rest of your post.
>>
>>8367368
The fuck are you on. Game of Thrones?
A. It's shit.
B. It's called A Song of Ice and Fire. Game of Thrones is a dumb tv show, that managed to ruin all that was good with novels.

And, no there is nothing better. Lotr. Is the epitome, and last good fantasy piece. Though, Silmarillion is damn near awesome for what it is, and you OP can go and give Lud-in-the-Mist a go as well.
>>
>>8367349
Ya, then read the rest of your post.
>>
>>8367332
Silmarillion. Not necessarily better, but if you enjoyed LOTR you might enjoy this as well. It's more like reading a mythology.
>>
>>8366208 (OP)
>Here is a list of fantastical works of what I consider to be significant quality, the heavyness of the works is depending on the specific work.
>Fifth Head of Cerberus and Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
>Fictions by Borges
>Napoleon of Notthing Hill and Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
>A Scanner Darkly by P.K. Dick
>Children of Hurin by Tolkien
>Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake
>Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser by Fritz Leiber
>Amber Cronicles by Roger Zelazny
>Best of Lovecraft (he gets repetative fast, don't look for massive collections of his stuff)
>A Wizard at Earthsea by Ursula le Guin
>Hyperion by Dan Simmons
>Dying Earth by Jack Vance
>A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M. Miller
>Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock
>Narnia Stories by C. S. Lewis
>Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick
>Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
>The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
>>
>>8368470

Needs more Moorcock. Also Worm Ouroboros.
>>
>>8368492
Moorcock is on it.
>>
>>8368470
>Anne Frank
luh mao
>>
>>8368497

I said needs more, not to begin with. Lrn to reading comprehension.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.