[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Master and Margarita good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 51VjV1cS1oL.jpg (37KB, 313x500px) Image search: [Google]
51VjV1cS1oL.jpg
37KB, 313x500px
Also, what Russian lit is must-read aside from Dostoevsky and Tolstoy?
>>
>>8366875

It's a great read, but unless you're familiar with the Russian affairs of the time, or are having someone guide you through it who does then a lot of the satirical commentary will go over your head. Though it's a great read regardless. Bulgakov creates a lot of really memorable scenes and characters that you can enjoy at face value.

I would also recommend that you look in Chekhov and Nabokov (if you count him as Russian).
>>
>>8366875
Yes.

Gorky's autobiography.
>>
The six others that are posted here every single day.
>>
>>8366875
not really, overrated
>>8367138
i had a copy with notes and while that did make it a bit better it just wasn't that jokes
>>
>>8367180
>it just wasn't that jokes
What degenerate dialect is this?
>>
>>8367181
i'm sorry your english is so generic, family
>>
>>8366875
>what Russian lit is must-read
Aside from the usual bunch, Ilf and Petrov's "Twelve chairs" and "Golden Calf". And, if you would want later soviet literature, Yerofeev.
>>
>>8367253
>Yerofeev
Hadn't heard of him. Thanks anon.
>>
>>8368299
"Moscow to the End of the Line" is essential (unsure which translation is best, however).
>>
>>8368315
>which translation
I'm a Swede so I usually don't have that problem :).
>>
effing Gogol. tons of stuff by Ivan Bunin. Turgenev's Hunting Sketches.
>>
Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich are fantastic. The Gulag Archipelago gets a lot of praise, too, will be starting it soon.
>>
File: meh.jpg (5KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
meh.jpg
5KB, 272x185px
>>8366875
i have the translation shown in your pic and it's fucking unbearable. it's like it was translated by someone with a working understanding of russian grammar, a russian-to-english dictionary, and nothing else. it's very clunky and boring, and lacking any nuance or flow. basically what you would get if you took me with my 2 years of spanish and handed me don quixote. sure, word-for-word it would be accurate, but that doesn't make it the same book.
>>
>>8369663

I just liked that pic. I read that pic related version is supposed to be shit so I wouldn't buy that one.
>>
>>8366875
If I only like metaphysical mystical stuff as is seen in The Master and Margarita what should I be reading?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.