[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1336181817272.jpg (100KB, 838x598px) Image search: [Google]
1336181817272.jpg
100KB, 838x598px
I have read several Warcraft books, Star Wars books, and the Lord of the Rings. In addition, I have read a few Horus Heresy novels.

Along the way of reading these books, I feel that I am not encountering anything that really takes my breath away thematically, conceptually, etc. It's more that these are things that I "would" read. I "would" be interested in them. But I feel they are pretty constrained.

Is there any particularly innovative fantasy out there? Something that's actually excellent and that isn't full of complaints?

I feel there has to be a way to go deeper than what I'm used to with these sort of "mainstream fantasy" series.

I don't necessarily want to be "challenged" with fantasy, I'd just like to see something new and refreshing and which, most importantly, I am not expecting.
>>
Try David Gemmell, Game of Thrones by Martin, and the forotten realsm Drizzt series by Salvatore.
>>
>>8366208
>making yourself read not just genre fiction, but tie-in genre fiction
Holy shit. If you're determined to stay in fantasy/sci-fi, at least read some of the standard books (Asimov, Clarke, Tolkien, Frank Herbert etc). It's not great literature, but it's not freaking Star Wars novelisations.

Or if you want to literature it up a bit, try short stories by Borges and Ballard, novels by Ursula Le Guin, 1984 and Brave New World, maybe the Gormenghast books, Gene Wolfe.

Or you could try fantastical fiction that's less bound by genres- 100 Years of Solitude, The Third Policeman, Midnight's Children, The Tin Drum...
>>
>>8366591
...oh, I see you mentioned Tolkien. I guess I wasn't expecting to see him between Warcraft books and Warhammer books...
>>
Walter Moers!
>>
>>8366591
Tolkien is great literature my dude. Children of Hurin and Silmarillion are amazing.
Lord of the Rings is also quite different to the two, from what I recall of LOTR (it's been 10 years almost).
>>8366208
Here is a list of fantastical works of what I consider to be significant quality, the heavyness of the works is depending on the specific work.
Fifth Head of Cerberus and Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
Fictions by Borges
Napoleon of Notthing Hill and Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
A Scanner Darkly by P.K. Dick
Children of Hurin by Tolkien
Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser by Fritz Leiber
Amber Cronicles by Roger Zelazny
Best of Lovecraft (he gets repetative fast, don't look for massive collections of his stuff)
A Wizard at Earthsea by Ursula le Guin
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Dying Earth by Jack Vance
A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M. Miller
Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock
Narnia Stories by C. S. Lewis
Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick
Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
>>
>>8366655
I see what you did there and I love it.
>>
>>8366877
We must spread the meme
>>
>>8366208
Consider reading the original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard.

If you don't mind manga, also try reading Berserk.
>>
I really enjoyed The First Law -series by Joe Abercrombie!
David Gemmel is also a favorite
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.