[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's this guy's deal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Fiction-QA-Don-DeLillo-859.jpg (143KB, 859x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Fiction-QA-Don-DeLillo-859.jpg
143KB, 859x1200px
His characters don't even have voices. They all have got the same diction and poetic way of speaking about certain things they're passionate about, which would be fine if not for the fact they all sound alike. It's clear this guy only knows how to write with his own diction. If the voices of the author, narrator and characters are all indiscernable, that's a sign of bad writing to me.
>>
>>8365050
>It's clear this guy only knows how to write with his own diction.
that's right
>that's a sign of bad writing to me
that's wrong
>>
>>8365050
>They all have got the same diction and poetic way of speaking about certain things they're passionate about

Except that's false.

Find a new hobby.
>>
>>8365050
You probably need to read him more slowly. His characters do all say ponderous and dreamy things but the content and delivery are dramatically different from character to character. Compare jack gladney to bill gray. Or Oswald to nick shay. The difference may seem superficially narrow, but he's also a member of the iceberg team.
>>
>>8365090
>>8365121
And why don't you care to explain your "reasoning"?
>>
>>8365180
If you think the characters in Underworld or Libra all sound like him then find a new hobby.

I get that plebs take 6 months to read White Noise, but that's not my problem.
>>
>>8365189
I'm reading White Noise now. It's good. I'm not saying it's poorly written. There are a lot of things to analyze or laud over. The only issue I have is the dialogue.

I'll admit spoke wrongly, considering I haven't read the other books, so to narrow it down: the characters' voices are not much different than the narrator's (rather than the author's). Granted, it's a first-person narration, so there's the excuse of an unreliable narrator projecting his own language onto other characters, but so far I haven't found any evidence pointing to that outside dialogue.

All I can say is that lack of variation in the language of each characters seems to me a sign of lacking in creativity.
>>
>>8365263
Heinrich sounds nothing like Jack who sounds nothing like Siskind who sounds nothing like Denise who sounds nothing like Babette who sounds nothing Winnie Richards
>>
>>8365050

You aren't wrong, but no one reads DeLillo for the characters.
>>
he has autism
>>
>>8365263
Rhythm is important to reading delillo. Do you try to speed read because that's a good way to have delillo shoot way over your head
>>
>>8365291
The kids don't sound like parents because they aren't academics. What I see happening in this is that Dellilo or Jack seems to think that all academics are not only very well spoken and articulate, but dreamy and pompous. Siskind is a little more pompous while speaking than Jack, but they both speak as if in a Shakespearean play.

I mean, it's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but I guess I belong to the camp of /lit/ that prefer real characters rather than contrived ones.
>>
>>8365333
That's okay, it's obviously not because you're a bad reader judging by your replies. Maybe one last thing to help you contextualize this book though: delillo wrote it after living in greece and exploring the middle east for three years and is essentially trying to describe the strangeness he saw in America at the time. Some people here think it's outdated satire, I tend to believe that he wants us to take seriously what he's saying about the metaphysics of corporate america and its derivatives.
>>
>>8365384
>metaphysics of corporate America
I see this also in the narration, and not just corporate America but also consumerist America.
>>
>>8365428
Yea I ultimately dont make a distinction between the two but I suppose there is one.
>>
>>8365050

faggot
>>
>>8365050
Read it again. I think you did it wrong the first time.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.