/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just started reading in the last six months, am incredibly slow at it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: neanderthal.jpg (36KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal.jpg
36KB, 660x371px
Will I get faster at doing so by simply reading more?
>>
>>8364712
Yes.
>>
>I will never be a Neanderthal

Crying.
>>
>>8364712
By reading?
>>
>>8364712
Yes I started reading novels about 5-6 months ago and at the beginning I was slow af. Now 300 sites long books are just like a little snack for me.
>>
File: 1464800454921.jpg (83KB, 400x357px) Image search: [Google]
1464800454921.jpg
83KB, 400x357px
>>8365481
>sites
>>
>>8364712
I was the opposite as I was a history major and was used to skim reading hundreds of pages per night. So when I got into lit I was doing the same thing thinking that reading quickly would help me scale the mountain of books I needed to. I realized eventually that lit is meant to be savored, and is necessary for an astute reading. The author likely labored over each line for years and each is necessary to grasp the vision of the work. So what I'm trying to say is don't worry about the speed, just read to understand and appreciate, and if it takes a long time so be it.
>>
>>8365508
Sauce.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (49KB, 463x325px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
49KB, 463x325px
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
File: reelsbadmans.png (98KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
reelsbadmans.png
98KB, 500x500px
>>8365588
good dubs, sound advice, I'll take it
have a rare pepe
>>
>>8364712
Yes. Enjoy it dont get stressed by how long its taking and set realistic goals. Might take a couple years but eventually youll be able to read and comprehend much quicker without missing as much as people who force themselves to speed read
>>
File: 3.-Tim-Taylor-Home-Improvement.jpg (27KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
3.-Tim-Taylor-Home-Improvement.jpg
27KB, 630x473px
>>8365588
Is what little time you now spend on 4Chan used to just post this same thing all the damn time?
>>
I just finished the six books in the Chronicles of Prydain series an hour ago. I have a tendency to buy multibook series such as the Hobbit + TLOR, Alice in Wonderland, Scott Pilgrim, and The Once and Future King. I only recently started reading seriously about a year ago. I'm about to dive right into a The Once and Future King. I'm not really interested in newer multi-book series, but if there are any older ones you'd recommend, I would definitely take a look at them.
>>
Don't focus on speed nigga, focus on comprehension. You should only do it as fast as you can do it right.
>>
>>8365588
Even though it's copypasta it really is sound advice.
>>
>>8364712
I'm an avid reader but it took me twelve weeks to finish Les Miserables. Don't feel under pressure to be quick.
>>
Riddle me this:

What interesting thoughts wandered into your head because of the last book you read?

If you can't answer that question I'd advise either reading different books or reading slower.

If you can answer that question (and don't feel like your list is far too short given the length of the book) yes your speed does increase as you keep reading BUT:

1) Speed reading programmes do suggest that there are techniques you need to consciously adopt to be able to read much faster, I find speedreading to be a bit of a hoax though.

2) If you're asking this question with the end goal of reading more books because more books means more prestige and status, I'd suggest 10 minutes of meditation everyday, scale it up to 20 minutes if possible.

Cheers burger.
>>
>>8366185
That is why it's a good copypasta burger.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.