[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Another free will thread. Is is real? Should i care?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Another free will thread.

Is is real? Should i care?
>>
Obviously you have free will, wtf.

Raise your right hand, wiggle it a bit. Was that an inevitable consequence of the structure of the universe, the alignment of various ideological systems, the puppeteering of an elusive and omnipresent god?

Or did you just do it because you decided to do it? In fact, if you haven't done it yet, you've even resisted my own compulsion, guaranteeing your free will reigns supreme.

Obviously there are constraints on free will, and sizeables ones at that.

But anyone who tells you that it doesn't exist, zero, nuh-uh, none at all, nada, is a Calvinist.
>>
>>8361941
Is that really free will or just a consequence of million of variables converging on one specific time and place?
>>
>>8361931
no and no

>>8361941
>calvinist
also no
>>
PHILOSOPHY IS STUPID

PLS GO
>>>/his/
>>
>>8361953
>muh determinism

Yeah bruh you're a Calvinist.

>>8361946
> a consequence of million of variables converging on one specific time and place

It becomes a consequence precisely because you've willed the particular outcome of that confluence of variables.
>>
>>8361965
That is true only if you consider thought processes as something outside of the physical world (away from cause-effect), which they are not.
Maybe my will is just a consequence of a certain interaction of neurotransmitters on my brain that makes me think about that.
>>
>>8361977
>replacing muh God with muh chemicals

Calvinism. A cowardly response that excuses one from the consequences of one's actions.

If you're not a neuroscientist I'm not interested in yr baseless conjectures on how the brain "might" operate.
>>
Why do people think that if the universe is deterministic there must be no such thing as free will?
>>
PHILOSOPHY IS STUPID

PLS GO
>>>/his/
>>
Define "free will".
>>
>>8361986
>A cowardly response that excuses one from the consequences of one's actions.

Why does it excuse one from their actions? Regardless of whether or not only the current state of the universe is what leads to the next state you must still face the consequences of your universally-controlled actions
>>
File: 44537356.png (257KB, 835x483px) Image search: [Google]
44537356.png
257KB, 835x483px
I tend to see the idea of "free will" as a bit of useful illusion, a belief that has been very encouraging during the long dark nights as unknown dangers congregated just outside the circle of firelight.
>>
>>8361941
Tolstoy would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>8361931
This is an elementary school-tier philosophy question. There is no contradiction between free will and determinism. They are obviously both real. If you are an adult male and you can't understand this you are definitely mentally stunted and you should not be on this board.
>>
>>8364058
>There is no contradiction between free will and determinism
They are literally binaries my man
>>
File: sushi sadness.jpg (76KB, 960x784px) Image search: [Google]
sushi sadness.jpg
76KB, 960x784px
>>8361931
free will...hmm
>Is it real?
sadly no.

>Should i care?
I dunno that's up to you, bro
>>
File: pipip.jpg (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pipip.jpg
166KB, 1920x1080px
>>8361931
the only person allowed to have free will is the king and queen of england

so unless you plan to rule Britannia you better get your mind fucking straight and accept you're a meat robot.
>>
>>8364078
You're a retard, my man. Get the fuck off this board.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.