[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

your motive force

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 28

File: sav.jpg (385KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
sav.jpg
385KB, 900x600px
What makes you 'go' and live life everyday?

Why bother? What are you aiming toward? Respect? Women? Steady drip of dopamine?
>>
>>8353869
well I'm already alive. just gotta keep that ball rollin
>>
pussy and religion
>>
>>8353869
I have no fucking idea, the universe is pointless
>>
biology

it's not a decision, lol

it just happens

low-grade mind, you have
>>
>>8353869
Memes.
Also, someone has to take care of the fucking kittens.
>>
>>8353869
Money, pleasure, entertainment, higher knowledge.

pussy
>>
>>8353880

OP here

I have come to think this is the most honest answer

Humans exist both because and for the fact our molecular configurations reproduce throughout space and time (i.e. by fucking pussy and making new humans)

We have evolved abstract thought and delude ourselves into thinking we have other purposes as well (i.e. religious thought)

So now we recognize the things that drive us

And what now?
>>
>>8353880
what's the diff
>>
>>8353896
Thats for you to decide compadre. Life is what you make of it. Now get the FUCK off my board
>>
>>8353896
things go on with or without you

thought is meaningless, to it
>>
>>8353901

Even saying that is a statement of what the purpose of "life" is (i.e. purpose is self-fabricated, merely cognitive, and arbitrary)

Is that lukewarm shitbird answer the best you can do?
>>
File: twiggy1.jpg (1021KB, 1300x1940px) Image search: [Google]
twiggy1.jpg
1021KB, 1300x1940px
>>8353896
Eat more nutritious foods, drink more water, and exercise daily and questions like these will not even enter your mind.
>>
because I want to, usually
>>
>>8353901
internet tuff guy has a tiny penis

btw, how do you type with such small hands?
>>
>>8353909
please. plenty of people don't, but the beat goes on.
>>
>>8353908

Truth. I guess a nice consistent dopamine fix precludes these sort of morose thoughts

And so that's my usual go-to approach to quell these existential questions

But it still leaves them unanswered. Unsatisfying
>>
>>8353919
You're so deep.
>>
File: twiggy2.jpg (108KB, 620x850px) Image search: [Google]
twiggy2.jpg
108KB, 620x850px
>>8353919
Atoms are a lie.
>>
>>8353917
the fact that I want to is kind of a buffer against overly pessimistic thoughts, interpretations, conclusions, etcetera. It's the only reason I need to know right now.
>>
>>8353930

I know.

I guess resigning my existential state to utter confusion is an answer too.
>>
>>8353932
>i'm not these things that are part of me

psycho.
>>
Recognition and women.
>>
>>8353933
samefag
>>
>>8353933
Have you considered reading Angelus Silesius? "The Rose is without a 'wherefor'—she blooms because she blooms."
>>
>>8353940

>me
> not realizing the boundaries of individuality are arbitrary
>>
>>8353950
>i get to choose what's part of me
>>
>>8353940
you're misinterpreting what I'm saying.
>>
>>8353953
which part of you is saying it
>>
>>8353952

>not realizing the deterministic basis of individuality has empirically established stimulus input - neuroplastic output relations that are consistent and can be exploited by your executive function
>>
>>8353869
Suicide is too painful. I don't mean this in a morbid way. I'm not really depressed or anything but extremely apathetic. Waking up, doing morning calisthenics, walking about, making food and musing about what life would be like if I hadn't dropped out of secondary school seems preferable to suicide because it's not painful and there's no burden really
>>
>>8353954
column F, row 57 of my personality matrix
>>
>>8353958
never go full nerd
>>
>>8353963

My b
>>
File: u92v3Mt.jpg (555KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
u92v3Mt.jpg
555KB, 1920x1080px
I aim to be happy. I go to the gym, because I feel good afterwards and I look even better the next day. I write because it makes me happy to see something I made the next day. There is no upper limit for human joy, so I keep on climbing the steps to get as happy as I can.
>>
>>8353968
>There is no upper limit for human joy

death
>>
>>8353968

So the dopamine answer.

I recently finished Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead
>in b4 plebfag
And Rand made an interesting argument (probably aped from previous philosophers, but whatever) that a man's purpose is to build and to control nature, because its part of expressing our true nature as a species, and reaching the maximum of "goodness of species expression" is ontologically good (correct me if I'm misinterpreting her reasoning)

And so she detested any comparisons of man to animals

Is this religion tier?
>>
>>8353985
no.
>>
>>8353987
YOU are the problem.
>>
I am driven by a probable psychotic hallucination of a Scythian Enaree who transformed into a talking dragon after drinking the blood of three dragons due to emotional dysfunction.

Her last standing order was to read.
>>
I just want the stuff I have to deal with on a daily basis to work without too many problems. That's all I really need but it seems I'm already asking too much.
>>
>>8353996
You're fine.
>>
>>8353995
In what sense?
>>
>>8353997
this is hilarious because you reposted due to having problems with your first post ha

thank you for laugh
>>
>>8353878
I kinda agree with this
>>
>>8354005
Yeah, I think the problem is really me.
>>
>>8354002
You don't know what "you" is? Are you a secondary English speaker?
>>
>>8354007
no choice
>>
dunno, I think about suicide everyday at this point
>>
>>8354009
I know what the word means, I asked if you mean that I directly cause my problems (which I agree).
>>
File: 20_Jimmy_Corrigan.jpg (3MB, 2392x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20_Jimmy_Corrigan.jpg
3MB, 2392x1932px
>>8353919

with words like "quell", "morose", and "precludes" I'm sure your IQ is more than well equipped to solve the problem of existence.
>>
>>8353869
The process of art is the artist's working out of his own redemption.
>>
File: yn.jpg (19KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
yn.jpg
19KB, 600x450px
>>8353869

People can't handle this question without having fully internalized the deterministic basis of life and consciousness

Guess I'm wasting my time with 80% of you on this humanities pleb-tier board

But you guys are better than the unimaginative sciencefags who can't think outside of their little games for anything worth a shit

OP out
>>
>>8353869
>What makes you 'go' and live life everyday?
Inertia.
I don't care much about dying. My life is not happy enough to have any desire to live, but it not sad enough to make me want to die.
>>
>>8354035

>muh chemicals, muh biological determinism

How utterly drab.
Glad to see another stemfag leave
>>
>>8353869

I'm already dead. I live only to see the fire consume this sick society. Then once that task is done I will finally be able to rest, and I will see her again.

t./pol/
>>
>>8354038

Fine I'll bite

If you're seriously convinced by any metaphysical view of biological phenomena (which subsumes everything you call "life") other than that of quasi-determinism, get your pseud nose out of crusty philosophy books and stop being a slut for the bourgeoise connotations of outdated philosophers who didn't know any better
>>
>>8354019
"cause" isn't a factor.

the point is they're yours.
>>
>>8354047
I see.
>>
>>8354044
>there is no other possible view except my own
>>
>>8354044

Only physical determinism is true determinism. Biological determinism is a weak enough position it can be made compatible with free will in almost every philosophical form.
>>
>>8354029
hi Catholic.
>>
>>8354026
Go easy on him. He's probably like 16.
>>
>>8353869
Love, Passion, and Competition. These are the things I live for.
>>
>>8353930
I'm alive because I know no matter what point in time I visit this board I will always find twiggy shitposting

like seriously what the fuck is wrong with you I haven't been on lit since I met my girlfriend over a year ago or some shit now we just broke up and you're still here probably having monthly walden discussions with nobody
>>
>>8354037
Hey, somebody got it right!
>>
>>8354050
Great response man.

>>8354051
I'll concede that. But speaking in terms of the probabilities that are reasonable to us and scales that are relevant to life, biological determinism is determinism.
>>
>>8353930
and you're right atoms are a lie; matter is an emergent property of confined energy
>>
>>8354057
For a second I thought I saw "Compassion" in there.

Sorry!
>>
>>8353985
>>8353985
Ayn Rand's explanation of the purpose of man is the exact opposite of Heidegger's.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heidegger/#Tec

>The mode of revealing characteristic of modern technology understands phenomena in general—including the non-biological natural world, plants, animals, and indeed human beings—to be no more than what Heidegger calls standing-reserve, that is, resources to be exploited as means to ends.

>By revealing beings as no more than the measurable and the manipulable, technology ultimately reduces beings to not-beings

>The notion of a not-being signals two things: (i) technological revealing drives out any sense of awe and wonder in the presence of beings, obliterating the secularized sense of what is sacred that is exemplified by the poetic habitation of the natural environment of the Rhine; (ii) we are essentially indifferent to the loss. Heidegger calls this indifference “the hidden distress of no-distress-at-all”. Indeed, on Heidegger's diagnosis, our response to the loss of any feeling of sacredness or awe in the face of beings is to find a technological substitute for that feeling, in the form of “lived-experience”, a drive for entertainment and information, “exaggeration and uproar”.
>>
>>8354056

they're just words

sorry your dick shrivels up at the hard ones
>>
>>8354066
If you think quell and morose are "hard words," I pray to god you actually are just an adolescent, because otherwise you are a straight up dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>8354071

Oh good, so you're not totally clueless

Why so defensive over these things? hit a nerve hearkening back to your fedora days?

Glad you're so authentic in dictional usage now man
>>
>>8354079
stop whining
>>
>>8354080
b-b-baka
>>
File: tumblr_nuju1dLlqu1rj30xro1_500.gif (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuju1dLlqu1rj30xro1_500.gif
41KB, 500x500px
>>8354044

So, minus all the big words that you wanted to use, why make this thread?
You're convinced it's deterministic.
That doesn't leave a lot of space in the margins for any "why", just the "how".

Like others have suggested in this thread, if you stop asking the question and focus on Life itself, you may find that your angst about knowing fades away.
Life is more various and complex than your scientific phenomena can encapsulate. It would be a shame if you took the beauty out of the clockwork with such a reductive stance.

Clockwork can be beautiful

So rather than categorize every life-affirming expression as dopamine, try softening your desire to find "reasons" and take joy in the mechanism itself

Maybe read some Taoist lit. And if you're not convinced, just be reminded that nobody in this thread can answer the question for you.
Especially not determinism, unless you're into that ascetic renunciation of spirit. Then read Schopenhauer.
>>
>>8354093
>Clockwork can be beautiful

You spelled 'boring' wrong.
>>
>>8354065

Random anon here, thank you for that.
I'm jazzed up to read some Heidegger now
>>
>>8354101
Why are you SUPER-jazzed???
>>
>>8354101
>23 posters
>>8354107
>still 23 posters
good ol' Twiggy
>>
>>8354097

Not a stemfag here, and I disagree.
Music is beautiful, and it's a form of clockwork.

But what I'm saying that a deterministic approach can be guided away from "why do anything at all" by a sense of wonder/awe at the clockwork
>>
>>8354107
Because he writes words that jive with me hombre.

>>8354108
I'm this >>8354093 faggot. Already posting in the thread
>>
File: 874882.jpg (43KB, 704x380px) Image search: [Google]
874882.jpg
43KB, 704x380px
Gotta do sometime while ı wait for death. If my memes/genes get to be passed on as a result, good for them.
>>
>>8354108
I posted more than once, too.

Low odds, I know. Especially with multiple convos.
>>
>>8354110
Who said "boring" was bad?
>>
>>8354140
You don't have to do anything.
>>
>>8354114
I meant why aren't you.
>>
>>8353930

do you like Emerson?
>>
>>8354150

that's the connotation hombre
It's not exactly titillating
>>
>>8354204
Why is titillating necessarily good?
>>
>>8354259

What is good anon?
>>
>>8354272

What is "what is", anon?
>>
>>8354275
I work alone.

>>8354272
Someone told me I get to decide.
>>
>>8353869
I smoke marijuana regularly and do other drugs occasionally to dull my senses and to be able to live relatively comfortably. That and reading+ film in my spare time for some escapism.
>>
>>8354299
Everything is escapism.
>>
>>8354303
Probably
>>
>>8354314
Escape me.
>>
>>8353896
I disagree. Humans exist to break shit. We break up the constraints of chaos by building civilization, and when civilization becomes too confining, we break that for chaos.
>>
>>8353869
Find a reason for living like a job that has fulfilling purpose for you or a hobby or get a family. Life is awesome and crazy new things happen every second and you get to observe it and be a part of it. You also have the ability to think and live in fantasy land whenever you want. Respect,Women and dopamine aren't reasons that make life worth living though just being is enough in this world...Observing change in the world and physically and mentally changing are my reasons for living. Life is beautiful if you're not stupid. DFW was stupid so he hung himself if you're too stupid to find anything in this world worth living for then my advice would be to enrich your mind read more and learn more and figure it out. Cultivating your worldview should be reason enough for living now.
>>
>>8354345
Beliefs, such as yours, are stupid.
>>
>>8354346
I'm guessing you're not 80-years-old.
>>
>>8354352
I'm 54
>>
I can't go on; I'll go on.
>>
>>8354360
Don't hide behind that semi-colon.
>>
>>8354357

>Life is beautiful if you're not stupid. DFW was stupid so he hung himself

it surely had nothing to do with any chemical irregularities, no - he just didn't find things beautiful enough. that must be it.

how are you 54 and still this ignorant?

are you some kind of retard?
>>
File: image.jpg (531KB, 1536x1416px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
531KB, 1536x1416px
>>8354150
David Foster Wallace
>>
>>8353869
Curiosity.

The world is spiraling out of government control thanks to the internet and the now-hourly exponential advancement of technology.

We are finally starting to realize this planet is crowded, and are looking upwards more often. We are preparing to reach out far, and find a place to plant the human seed. An adam and eve (or, preferably, several of both) to continue humanity, when this planet soon cannot.

Moreso than that, I believe our ability to see other planets in detail may soon, possibly within our natural lifetimes, reveal intelligent extraterrestrial life.

I long for that day.

Hell, the only other thing I really wanted to see in life was VR, and now even that's starting to catch on!

Moreso now in life than ever, I really enjoy just learning things, about nature and civilization and science, just further understanding the world, preferably through experience.

Having gone through depression helps, but that's just a symptom of the privileged or traumatized.

Also weed. Oh, the wonders of being able to experience everything for the first time all over again, through a different perspective. Now I only drink on particularly special occasions with friends. Alcohol is just inferior except for dumbing oneself into a more animalistic nature to overcome over-thinking everything, for better or worse.
>>
>>8353869
It's easy to give up on everything. It's hard to live a life fearlessly, and the way you want it. When you do it the hard way you look forward to the next day.
....I was half watching that new movie on Stephen Hawking's life. In his 20s he suffered from the worst disorder ever (ALS). His wife ends up loving another, he's physically impaired and completely dependent, he couldn't even hold his young children, etc. Not to mention the Doctors telling him he only had a more few years left. But he kept on going and amazingly he is still alive today at 74 years old.

He accomplished so much despite his devastating illness. I believe with a willing positive human mind anything is possible. It's never too late.
>>
>>8353869
I'm in great shape, I've achieved all my life goals and more by 28 and I have sex with pretty much any woman I want to. I saw the top of the mountain and there was nothing there, no realization or self discovery.
The world is a husk and we're all dying. The only sick thrill left to me is destroying the lives of people who come into my personal circle in ways they can't understand, the way an ant doesn't know it's burning.
I abide.
>>
>>8354377
Your "God."

weak choice, imo
>>
>>8354378
nerd.
>>
>>8354381
Nothing's "easy."

You've never "given up on everything." You don't even know what that's like. You're too scared to go there. Yet, it's "easy."

You live a safe life.
>>
>>8354383
There is no "top of the mountain," and striving to be a le epic psychopath was never cool. You aren't nearly as clever as you think you are
>>
>>8354376
Chemical irregularities are a cop out answer to depression. I mentioned DFW because I've grown up with plenty of people with similar thought patterns even myself in my youth. The more you experience the less pleasurable things become as you age. The goal of life isn't happiness. No one needs to be happy to live.
>>
>>8354401
He's American Psycho. He's gonna "win."

Actually what you responded to was just really shitty writing. Sad.
>>
>>8354401
Tell that to the mountain.
>>
>>8354409
Sorry you're unhappy.
>>
>>8354409
>goals
>needs

Oh, he thinks they're the same! Everyone: point and laugh.
>>
>>8354391
guilty.
>>
>>8354425
Does this make you feels betters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJyMT4ZVQEc
>>
>>8354409

>Chemical irregularities are a cop out answer to depression.

no. many people cite chemical irregularities that don't have them, this is true enough, but there is a definite and verifiable group of the population that truly do have chemical imbalances.

you can't just write something off as being a "cop out" across the board when it is literally peer-reviewed and verified by the scientific community.

go and put on the TV and watch your stories. this place is a toilet but you are literally too fucking stupid to be posting in this toilet.
>>
>>8354421
>>8354413
You don't need happiness you need purpose which is a goal you should strive for. Find purpose in your life or kill yourself the world wont care either way.
>>
>>8354430
Mildly.
>>
>>8354437
Does it make you happy to have a purpose of making a goal to strive for?
>>
>>8354437
>I vant to be a tool.
>>
>>8354435
People truly have chemical irregularities but being unable to cope makes you weak emotionally and evolutionary. I also believe psychology to be the equivalent to what alchemy was before chemistry. I think Foucaults "History of Madness" has more to say about mental illness than the DSM does. I'm not a neurologist i'm an immunologist with friends who study schizophrenia who are beginning to develop a similar belief as well. In the next century I believe that the entire DSM and the majority of our notions of psychiatric disorders will be revised.
>>
>>8354443
It kind of does or it did i'm at point where i'm just happy watching my children grow into adulthood and trying to guide them that brings me happiness now. I feel better an average more so than I have ever in my life. Purpose has meant different things at different stages of my life. Things change. Change seems to be the only inevitable predication you can have about this world.
>>
>>8354476
I'm sorry that you're happy. I know that wasn't your goal.

I wish you the best in your dream fulfillment.
>>
>>8353985
>I'd like to be happy
>Yeah?! You're just following the dictates of a psychophysical pleasure system in your brain!
go fuck yourself
>>
>>8354482
Just find stuff you like or remember stuff that you once liked and do it on a consistent basis. It'll give you personal purpose.
>>
I'm a con man. I only live for the thrill of duplicity and the danger. Imposture, forgery and the like.

Before I was a bumbling beta but now I have fun just doing things.

Started when I edited a picture of my bank account on my phone app to say I had over one hundred thousand pounds and casually told a girl at a bar while chatting that I was a Day Trader and do what I want, but and go wherever I please. Got laid out of that and realized how easy it was and have been doing random shite ever since, like forging credentials to get good jobs etc.

It's exciting.
>>
>>8354044
Why the fuck would I do that cunt
>>
>>8354058
>not being here 247365
pleb kill me pls
>>
>>8354093
>big words
>big
>>
I am driven by the desire to create a world for myself that other people can inhabit, in sound form, mainly using Reaktor and creative use of plunderphonix - music it seems often tries to impress in a narrow sense, rather than explore the boundaries of the creator's mind and finding exciting worlds of sound. Art is one hundred times more important than politics

Eventually, post-40 years old, I will have read enough / gathered enough life experience to create a graphic novel depicting my idea of a beautiful world in a slice of life fashion as a 4 part motion

that's what motivates me

I don't really care about friendship or women or money or any of that at this point
>>
>>8353884
This
>>
>>8354511
>What you like doesn't equate happiness.

hm.
>>
>>8354516
Gurl, you can't even imitate Joanne right.

Con...pfft...
>>
Nothing at this point. I'm not entirely sure if I want to continue living.
>>
>>8354614
You don't, but you will.
>>
The fact that I'm not dead yet
>wake up every morning
>"well alright I guess"
>>
>>8354349
Great reply, how so?
>>
>>8354663
Because I believe so.
>>
Total determinists are cucks tbqh
Just because free will as what basically amounts to the mental equivalent of a soul doesn't exist doesn't mean that there is a big sky papa who predetermined your fate.
>>
I can't kill my mother's son
>>
It's pointless to fight flux.
>>
>>8353908
yes they will you fucking tripfag moron
>>
I never know how to answer questions like this; the answers are always so simple that I have to embelish and exaggerate in order to respond at all

Most tasks and experiences are physically pleasant in some way
If you don't live in a warzone or barren wasteland and find this to be untrue, there are two possibilities;
Either you're physically unhealthy, or you're mentally unhealthy
Sleeping well, eating well, grooming well, exercising, getting some sun, and being frank in your self-examination should resolve both of those problems
If you've failed in any of these tasks, seek help
If the help fails, find something useful to do with your time that will help others
If you can't find something to do, jump off of a bridge
>>
File: philosophymom.png (337KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
philosophymom.png
337KB, 640x400px
>tfw you figure everything out way too early and everyone around you is a fucking idiot and you're stuck in this simulation for the rest of your life now and it's too late to destroy yourself because this understanding will live anyway and you begin to just feel extremely bad for everyone and try to help people while being way past the point of considering maybe itself yourself who needs help because it's really not yet there's still no way to win so your vices slowly lose grip of you decay slows down life expectancy increases childhood sensitivities come back no woman really haunts you anymore so you desperately look for something to tempt you but nothing can do it and so you hop on the bus, bald, cancerous while she sits with a greasy creep and you continue riding not because it makes any sense but anything else would make less and you might perhaps be schizophrenic but it doesn't matter either way
>>
>>8354461
>being unable to cope makes you weak evolutionary [sic]
I suppose it's a good thing that evolution brought us consciousness and empathy, then.
>I'm not a neurologist
That much is clear. It's hard believing you're in any kind of medicine while buying into social darwinism, which is a worldview based entirely upon misapplied and misunderstood concepts.
Your friends don't know what they are talking about, and neither do you.
Don't fall for the under-educated alt-right 4chan memes. Neurology and Psychiatry are valid sciences
>>
>>8353878
Only correct answer
>>
>>8354435
the mind IS the brain. it doesn't just correspond here and there. they are the same thing. saying x mental state is x mental state because x brain state is just saying x is x. sure, it's true, but so what? there should be a mental solution, achievable or not, to any neurological problem. your response would be the same thing as someone saying
>oh he's on hard mode
to
>whys he losing
that wouldn't be a reason intrinsic to sentience (or, in this example, the game)

and, like, dude, talking about how components of the brain affecting mood is "peer-reviewed and verified by the scientific community."? well duh lol
>>
File: 1468911670095.jpg (181KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1468911670095.jpg
181KB, 1920x1080px
>>8353869
Glory.
>>
>>8354867
Do you have some way to resolve the 20 or something theories of the past 30 years of the mind-body problem you'd like to share with the rest of the scientific and philosophical community?
>>
>>8354884
The philosophical community? That's a really pretentious way of saying 'you can experience things that have no instantiation in the brain'. Unless you can explain why that might be true the rest of what I said is tautologically deducible.
>>
>>8353930
THESE ATOMS ARE LIARS
THEY DO NOT REALISE
AND WE CAN'T BLAME THEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSBU0RUq624
>>
File: 16482_Barbara_Bui_F0.jpg (445KB, 1660x2500px) Image search: [Google]
16482_Barbara_Bui_F0.jpg
445KB, 1660x2500px
Your motive force/s is unconscious and hardly amenable, nufties
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
>>8354962
Also you yourself are the last person to know the answer to that question
>>
26 year old neet of ten years.

I have no motive, I just exist because I do. I'm too numb to kill myself and I feel like everything has passed me by and I won't get over the time i've wasted so I don't improve.

I never really cared about life, even when I was a kid.
>>
>>8354377

>wrote neurotically about own neuroses
>lit undergrads: "form mirrors content, such genius"
>became an hero while trying to glorify IRS workers

great author you got there
>>
>>8353869
Im happy with how everything goes, and when I'm not happy with it I change it or accept it. I just enjoy see how everything goes on and on, meeting an old friend out of nowhere, listening to Trump wining the elections, watching a random sunset as I'm riding my bike. Life is precious, just don't get memed.
>>
>>8354974
Cool, now why don't you keep your ad hominems to yourself and comment on the actual content of the text?
>>
>>8353906
How can it be arbitrary if you see purpose?
>>
Because we have no idea what lies on the other side of the fence.

Better the devil you know, innit.
>>
>>
The golden thread.
>>
>>8353880
Thanks kanye
>>
I don't have any desire to "stop going" and die.

Respect? Not really, I hardly care about that.
Women? Not really, I may occasionally have a one night stand (it has been a while) but those are hardly a particularly motivating factor. For now, I have decided to not pursue a relationship, though I suppose I can't help it if I happen to fall in love.
Steady drip of dopamine? In a way, maybe? The most pleasurable things in my everyday life are books, my studies, art, reasonably good food and social encounters. I do want to pursue knowledge. However, I do embrace the worse times as well. I may suffer from my mental illness every now and then and sometimes I don't have any money, but heck, suffering isn't that bad. Who even cares as long as you can pursue what you want to?
>>
All the answers in this thread will be pure horse wiffle.

None of you know what makes you tick, because if you really saw yourself for what you were you'd jump under a bus.

Every last one of you.

Your lack of self-knowledge is an evolutionary adaption.

Your double-standards, a biological imperative.
>>
>>8356091
you're*
>>
>>8356091
>None of you know what makes you tick, because if you really saw yourself for what you were you'd jump under a bus.
Why? Are you implying that every last one of us is, first of all, a moral being who'd feel bad about what he is?

Why should I care about the truth of who I am or what I am? There is no right or wrong and I can decide good or bad for myself. Maybe there is no meaning in anything, no real value. For many other questions, its not even a double standard; we just have no way of knowing (for example about free will).
>>
The joy of ideas. I just love ideas.
>>
>>8353869
My only intention is to attain complete enlightenment.
>>
>>8356181
All right. What does it consist in?
>>
>>8356199
The practise? Awareness all the way; when you eat, while you're walking, as I'm typing out this sentence, of the mind and of one's emotional state.
Try it, it's more difficult than you might think.
>>
Music, reading, big old hairy daddies. Feels great man.
>>
>>8353869
My mothers love and my fathers respect
>>
>>8353908
i do all these things and still have no drive to live.
>>
>>8356309
Read Heidegger and Witty. You're just in a funk homey put some effort to get out
>>
File: 6F8.jpg (42KB, 618x960px) Image search: [Google]
6F8.jpg
42KB, 618x960px
>>8353869
muses and shit.
>pic related; the girl i currently want to marry kinda looks like bjork
>>
I used to be obessed with sex but recently I managed to ejaculate inside an older woman's vagina bareback (no rape or money involved) and now I don't care about it and just study ~15 hours a day.

Obviously I don't want to have a child because I'm not a retarded brainlet but I feel like I've validated myself as a human being by filling her womb.

Anyone else know this feel?
>>
>>8353869
The thought of sucking dick
>>
>>8353880
ok ye
>>
>>8356421
what works would be good entry points for those two fellas?
>>
>>8354841
Maybe he's attacking the disconnect between neurology and psychiatry. The simple lack of repeatability for psychiatry alone raises questions.
You both imply a black and white agruement when it's grey. Insert personal attacks here
>>
>>8353869

I don't have a driving force. Not "A" driving force anyway. They come and go.

Today is the nice breeze outside, yesterday whatever it is that I believe to be camaraderie, on another day "friendship."

Attractive women too. Sex can be good or bad, sometimes boring, but every now and then the joy of it makes it worth the time spent for it.

A good book.

Good music.

That feeling similar to goosebumps when one of those things we call "truths" hits you like lightning, and how it fades away after a while.

Remembering the things I've done and the people I've met on my journey.

Who knows.

The many stories I tell myself.

And whatever might come tomorrow.
>>
>>8356091

Nah, man. The Buddha has some neat tricks under his sleeve for that stuff.

You can never see yourself for what you are, were , or could be. Self is an illusion. And if you think that's too "mystical," read some Metzinger and see for yourself.

You can't even see the complete visible spectrum, what makes you think you can "see who you really are."

Take a look in the mirror and tell yourself that that thing there is you, if that makes you feel something, tell yourself that the whispers in your head mean something, but don't tell me you can see beneath the layers, because there's nothing there my friend.

But... if you somehow manage to make that realization in more than just an intellectual way, and you're ok with what's left, then there's nothing else I can tell you.

You haven't jumped under a train, so that's interesting...
>>
>>8356237

Complete enlightenment is harder than that.

That's layer 1.

The hardest fucking layer to "grok" is the compassion one, to get to a state of total compassion towards everyone, and to realize that one reaches enlightenment not for oneself, but for all mankind.

Fucking hardcore mode.
>>
It is my duty to participate in the Great Conversation.
>>
>>8354963
>I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.
This line always makes me laugh
>>
File: Schopenhauer_1852.jpg (162KB, 635x809px) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer_1852.jpg
162KB, 635x809px
>>8353869
cowardice and the insatiable will tbth
>>
File: download (3).jpg (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
9KB, 205x246px
>>8353908
>just be willfully stupid like me bro!
>Trust me, I'm French!
>>
>>8353880

Terse and probably true for many.

I'm fairly cynical and I see everyday as monotonous activity that has me slowly marching toward my death. I need a respite.
>>
>>8355711
Nice
>>
>>8353878
Probably this. Everything seems futile when I take a moment to disconnect myself from my daily routine, but suicide is just needless pain and it's only a natural tendency to want to avoid pain. Just gonna smoke and eat shit food until I die from some heart problem.
>>
>>8357703
Also the realization of emptiness, obliteration of self, release from suffering, perfection in act and thought etc
>>
liquor
>>
>>8357703
>>8359164
Seeker-anon here.
Many of the objects listed above are actually aspects of enlightenment and need not be pursued individually. That said, understand that I was only making a brief description of the practise.
>>
The Pursuit of Greatness
>>
>>8353869
I don't really have what it takes to kill myself, so having concluded that I just try to stay comfy and enjoy myself.

Living life 'waiting at the airport' style desu.
>>
File: UGK.jpg (71KB, 393x600px) Image search: [Google]
UGK.jpg
71KB, 393x600px
>>8356181
I've got some bad news, senpai.
>>
>>8360144
You have no idea what he's trying to convey.
>>
>>8360276
Who?
>>
>>8360144
>listening to yet another guy who lead a life that wasn't enlightened and didn't really say anything that you can't find in Buddhism or even Hinduism but claimed that he had high, if not perfect, attainments anyway
>>
>>8360614
UG Krishnamurti.
>>
>>8360665
What was he trying to convey according to you?
>>
>>8353869
I have ambition despite the fact that I am ambitious towards comfy. I just want to live a nice peaceful quiet life and be comfy. A 70,000 to 100,000 a year job, a car, a home for myself, and a nice sandwich for lunch is all I want in life. Also nice/unique clothes
>>
>>8360696
I'm not suggesting he had anything to say, although I will suggest consistency in approaching his works. For example he says there is no such thing as enlightenment. To be consistent here you'd have to consider equally his proposal that his sentences carry no meaning whatsoever. He likens himself to a barking dog and claims that the whole game is finished. He tells you that you absolutely cannot access reality because you are blocked by your selective attention which springs out of the mind; meditation in such a mode is impossible.
That is why I said you have no idea what he was trying to convey.
>>
>>8360733
Right, in the sense that nobody has any idea what anyone is trying to convey.

I thought you had a specific problem with me hinting that trying to attain enlightenment is a useless ordeal with a picture of U.G. attached.
>>
>>8353869
Family, food and art. Don't need anything else.
>>
File: 1469836039627.jpg (146KB, 1107x1670px) Image search: [Google]
1469836039627.jpg
146KB, 1107x1670px
>>8353869
Money, recognition, and the chance to get my name remembered in history. Same as a lot of people I imagine.
>>
>>8360638
Not being enlightened is not really something you can hold against someone who says enlightenment is bullshit.
>>
>>8360759
>seeing money as a goal in itself

good goy
>>
>>8353947
great answer, very true
>>
Three things:
>Mystical enlightenment for everyone
>Saving humanity from capitalism and robots
>If I do the above, I can ask for a harem
>>
>Mystical enlightenment for everyone
>If I do the above, I can ask for a harem

Then you would negate the first achievement
>>
>>8360745
I don't have any problems with you, anon. But I don't see it as entirely true that the pursuit of enlightenment is useless. That's heavily contingent on the conception of enlightenment of the subject. I think the further down the road you take these practises, the more duplicitous and multidimensional the concept becomes and in the end you may be graced with the ability to drop the striving as your final renunciation - but it only works at the final phase. You know, like the vehicle metaphors.
>>
File: epi.jpg (11KB, 200x302px) Image search: [Google]
epi.jpg
11KB, 200x302px
>>8360701
>not being able to achieve comfy @ >10k a year

Come on, step it up.
>>
>>8360828

Comfy is really easy to achieve tbqh, Thoreau was a master in frugal comfyness for example
>>
>>8360833
Yes, but he did have a really nice mummy. That helps a lot.
>>
File: famlife.jpg (513KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
famlife.jpg
513KB, 2048x1366px
>>8353869
lol
>>
>>8360844

idk where that Mummy meme came from, I never found a trustworthy source on the claim that she carried him financially. I mean, she didn't even bail him out when he was arrested for not paying a bullshit tax
>>
>>8360791
>not realizing the accumulation of capital is necessary in a world defined by capital and production
Stay small, anon.
>>
>>8360881
>>not realizing the accumulation of capital is necessary in a world defined by capital and production

Holy shit, that's some backward-ass justification

>Since society likes money, I must get money so Society will like me!

Talk about smallness eh
>>
>>8353869
My gf and my friends

Thats basically it
>>
>>8360903
I think Success and Creating is important. This often involves the accumulation of capital which grants u higher status in society. This basic principal makes sense.

Not this guy>>8360881
Just chipping in.
>>
>>8361017

>I think Success and Creating is important

Why is Success important? I can accept that Creation is something that gives meaning to one's life and thus brings happiness, but the Success part comes solely from ignorance, I think.

I'm not saying that you should live a piss-poor homeless man, but have the Accumulation of Wealth as one's reason to live is just really fucking reductive and shallow, and in the end just a generally bad approach to life.
>>
>>8361041
I see success as simply creating a goal and achieving it. Not a pre conceived notion about having a good job or being seen as successful by your peers.
>>
>>8361073
>Not a pre conceived notion about having a good job or being seen as successful by your peers.

Then that has nothing to do with Wealth, now does it? Personal Success is useless if your objective is getting money, and that's one of the biggest caveats of having that as a goal: your "success" will never depend on you alone.
>>
>>8361081
If I see the accumulation of wealth as doing a service to humanity and to my self by giving myself the means to enjoy my life and create and do as i please through the use of wealth as my goal then whats so wrong about that. If I see my personal achievements as success then it doesn't really depend on anybody else does it.
>>
>>8361090

Again, I'm not arguing against the pursuit of wealth per se, but rather the pursuit of wealth as one's life goal. If your only goal in life is to amass wealth, then what you said
>If I see my personal achievements as success then it doesn't really depend on anybody else does it.

Is simply false. If your personal success depends upon you gaining money, then by definition it must imply the evaluation of your worth by a third party, since I cannot generate wealth without generating a product and selling it to someone. My Personal Success would mean nothing if no-one else was interested in buying it, and thus my happiness would be dependent of other people. And that's just a dumb way to go about life, plain and simple, as anyone can see how putting the entirety of your own wellbeing in the hands of other people is not generally a wise idea.
>>
>>8361106
Fair enough I guess. Your point is clear and valid.
>>
will someone please prove to me free will exists so i don't blow my brains out
>>
>>8361173
It doesn't. Why would that want to make you kill yourself though? Realizing free will doesn't exist is a very freeing experience.
>>
>>8361263
If free will doesn't exist then the greatest protest to your Biologically determined path through life would be to simply end it as soon as possible.
>>
>>8361263
I refuse to be an actor in a predetermined play. It's a glorified prison.
>>
>>8353869

every day you spend above ground is a good day
>>
>>8353869

OP here i have decided my goal is to now make /lit/ threads that last really long

>>8361273

Protest to who? Can you protest to a Hydrogen atom?
>>
>>8361285
>Protest to who? Can you protest to a Hydrogen atom?

Shieeet.
>>
>>8361285
>Can you protest to a Hydrogen atom?
Yes you can. It's called nuclear fusion and you can take him and all his friends with him
>>
>>8361273
If free will doesn't exist and you kill yourself then it isn't a protest against your path, it is your path itself.

The ride never ends.
>>
>>8360828
I want maximum ultra comfy and my definition of comfy is different from yours.
>>
>>8361388
>maximum ultra comfy
>having a job

I'm afraid you will have to choose.
>>
>>8361403
>not enjoying work
Hmmm. It appears you are the problem.
>>
>>8353869
Yes, women. Mainly just deepthroat blowjobs. I don't give a fuck about anything else.
>>
>>8361423
I have no problem not enjoying work since I don't work.

Work is generally disturbing desu, but I'm willing to accept there are exceptions when people and their jobs are unusually compatible. I believe a large part of the working population is decidedly uncomfy though.
>>
>>8361374
leee fugg :DDD
>>
>>8356090
>?
It sounds to me that every time you've come within kissing distance of any sort of goal or high point that you have been shot down to size and have just come terms with mediocrity under the guise of comfy complacency.
>>
>>8360045
Totally. I apologize if my words sounded critical instead of encouraging.

All the mettā to you, brother.
>>
>>8354275
Hi Bendis
>>
File: Uatu_(Earth-616).jpg (24KB, 156x375px) Image search: [Google]
Uatu_(Earth-616).jpg
24KB, 156x375px
Mostly detached curiosity
I want to see what happens next but I don't have any real attachment to the outcome
I almost want to vote for Trump just to see what happens if he's president

Ideally I could observe the world from outside the world but that's not possible
>>
Money

I am a finance student. The only thing I care about is money
>>
>>8362079
Money for what purpose? Just to amass it and have it, or as a means to buy things? Because then your goal would be possessions or something, not money
Unless you just want money for the sake of having money, which would be kind of weird
>>
>>8353869
Steady drip of dopamine that comes from achievement, and the girlfriend I'm going to start a life with once said achievements become profitable.

I think I'm bipolar, though; I lose interest in everything and I just become an inconsolable mope sometimes, and that makes me useless. That throws a wrench in any plan I may have.
>>
>>8362093

To finance my political motivations and also allow me to buy a Ferrari Testarossa and play outrun music
>>
>>8353869
What keeps me going is the remote possibility that I might get laid someday.
>>
>>8362150

What a charmingly self-aware primate answer
>>
>>8362150
That sucks. I mean, I'm a virgin too but for the love of god what a way to reduce your life into a purposeless biological quest.
>>
>>8362160

>I'm a virgin
>but why would you want to get laid

You are a meme
>>
>>8362160

Isn't it better to be aware of the true motive force behind your existence (and don't tell me it's not - life only exists because of the fact we reproduce)

than to ignore this basic fact?

>in b4 i've never taken a biology class ever or pondered how life came to be
>>
>>8362167

>sex is the true motive force behind your existence

Sorry, but you can't prove this
>>
>>8362167
I'm not a virgin but even I can agree that sex isn't the reason behind some peoples existence. Some peoples existence are more beneficial than that.
>>
>>8362160
At this point I'd fuck anything that has or had a pulse. I'm running on fumes here
>>
>>8362175
>>8362178

Hey, you're entirely correct. I've posited a scientific theory and so yes,

>One can't prove anything in science, only make inferences using inductive logic that can be falsified at any time.

But just look around you - look at every piece of life, from the single-celled prokaryotes to the mosquito to birds in the air

They just don't exist to "be" cells, be mosquitos, and be birds for the hell of it

A reasonable inference to make is that these entities persist through time and space precisely because they are designed to reproduce another copy of themselves

In humans this happens to be through the mechanism of the ol' P in V

So it makes sense one of our strongest drives as humans is to have sex, yes?

We're not just angels floating around, destined to read sing and paint

We fuck, make the kid, and die

Anything else is extra
>>
>>8362164
Did I say I didn't want to get laid? I'm simply saying that as beings of higher intellect than other animals we can find higher purposes in our lives can we not?
>>
>>8362180
How old r u m&
>>
>>8362186
>We fuck, make kids, and die.
>We can make kids without fucking
>There is a chance we can force biological immortality
>Science bitch
We're humans. We don't abide by the same laws and drives as other animals. We are unique in that we can think and make our own drives. Defining a human being as something that fucks, makes kids, and dies is demeaning to the entire species. Some people are driven work hard to ensure that other people don't suffer and die, Some people aren't even driven by sex. Some people just do things for themselves. Not most people mind you, but some people are just not driven by sex. They are driven by some selfish desire to change the world or themselves.
>>
File: 1420756844457[1].jpg (582KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1420756844457[1].jpg
582KB, 1600x1131px
>>8360903
he is expressing a feedback loop
which happens to be a reality you also face
you are just garbage, plz no more
>>
>>8362191

Not him, but how old are most people on /lit/? I seriously can't keep up with how much everyone has read, and I'm 19
>>
>>8353997
bitch
>>
>>8362191
old enough to party.
>>
>>8362201

> We don't abide by the same laws and drives as other animals

Lmao lost respect for your position exactly here

You're stuck with the Greeks man

What argument can you possibly make about the unique ontological status of human beings, as opposed to any other animal

We have extremely advanced intellectual capacities compared to other species, yes

But barring the existence of God, that in itself is an evolutionary adaptation, a quirk

It's not elevating us to be angels

We're still animals

Just smart ones

This is the philosophical foundation upon which all of the life sciences are grounded. You are not a scientist. Total pseud.
>>
File: 0lBXFeW.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
0lBXFeW.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>8362215
My thirteen year old brother goes to parties and I still haven't gone to one.
>>
>>8362223
they're overrated m8
>>
>>8362220
We're smart animals that can massacre every other species on the planet and breed without sex or asexual biological processes. I think we are pretty special.
>>
>>8362220
>>8362229
Also you're the pseud here. I never pretended to be an intellectual.
>>
>>8362229

If the ability to wreak massive destruction on other living things is your definition of "special",

then you are an excellent example of what makes humans like any other animal.
>>
>>8362234
You can't deny that it does make us special. No other species on the planet can do what we can do. I doubt theres any species that has the same potential either. Stop trying to sound smart.
>>
>>8362232

>starting a sentence with Also
You're either 15 or retarded. Either way, fuck off.
>>
>>8362220

Nobody is disagreeing with you... but to describe it as 'meaning' is disingenuous. You are also drawing an arbitrary distinction between evolutionary drives. For instance, as evolutionary psychologists have pointed out, our fear of spiders (as opposed to motor vehicles or firearms) is an archaic remnant of a time when wariness of insects and insect-like organisms was a benefit to survival.

Therefore, in the same way that sex is an evolutionary drive, so is fear of spiders.

Does that mean that the meaning of life is arachnophobia?
>>
>>8362238
>criticizing my use of Also as an attachment to a post on a Chinese calligraphy forum
You're trying too hard Anon.
>>
>>8353869
>this picture
>>
>>8353869
I like eating, and drinking, and reading, and talking to people, and having emotional attachments to people. I like it. It's fun.
>>
>>8362241

Thanks for the comment, that's a nice question

I would say that arachnophobia is a manifestation of our meaning, which is survival in the genetic sense

Spiders are harmful for our longevity.
As is not fucking.

Really, they are aspects of the same design pressure on our beings - the pressure to reproduce successfully and proliferate our genes.

Whether this observation constitutes "meaning" in any satisfactory way to you I don't know. What do you think?
>>
>>8362207
Most people on /lit/ are old enough to regret majoring in english.
>>
I would like to show people true Christian values or my idea of it.
I'm fucking up though.
>>
>>8362253

I would both agree and disagree with survival as the purpose of human life - agree in the long-term, disagree in the short-term.

Survival in the short-term obviously emphasizes safety, sex, and a number of day-to-day activities founded on evolutionary drives.

Survival in the long-term emphasizes development, scientific advancement, and activism.

Would you not argue that Salk, even had he not borne children, would've advanced the human quest of survival than Octomom?

I'm using the word purpose instead of meaning so I can coward out of this and revert to Absurdism in a jiffy.
>>
>>8362274

If you take evolution as the explanation for our origins, which I'm guessing you do, one thing to appreciate is that we did not optimize our brains to create rocketships and to advance science

Gonna get a little hand-wavy/evo-psyche bullshitty here, but it was to get better at planning hunts, communicating with our clade, outsmarting the other ooga booga tribe, and preparing for harsh winters / summers

It's not difficult to see how this is all pretty consistent with the idea we humans are animals, just highly advanced ones who've done very well for ourselves with this evolutionary quirk of Intelligence

Another thing to keep in mind is how damn quickly things like

>[industrial] development, scientific advancement, and activism

have emerged. If you look at the history of these entities, it's actually been extremely recent. Merely a few low 100's of generations of grandparents, and you're back at ooga booga cavemen. (~10k years, a blink of an eye relatively speaking)

So we're actually in a very strange and artificial place, in the grand scheme of things. It's an easy trap for us, who have grown up in the midst of Civilization with a C, to think all of these things are very natural and proper to humankind. But it's important to perceive what a strange evolutionary anomaly all of this is.
Now regarding octomom - you place her 10k years ago where there were no labs and chemical reagents, and compare her to a man like Salk or another individual with fewer children - and fast forward to today, you'll find exponentially more of her genes in our pool, or at least a substantially higher probability of finding them, and in greater numbers. In a basic way, that is a greater contribution to the "human quest of survival."

But yes, we are in strange times, and it seems the Salks and whatnots of the world are more successful in advancing humankind generally
>>
>>8362220
Your entire argument is hinged on the fact that we are 'animals' but that's not really even an argument.

Life and reproduction is like the rain in that it just happens in a certain system of matter and energy. It doesn't 'mean' anything as far as anyone can claim to know and are more just a serious of occurrences or happy accidents and probably hasn't been designed. You go on about the non unique ontological status of human beings but then give all 'animals' a firm and fixed one. An animals inherent desire to reproduce can be called a purpose if you care to call it that but even you can't deny that with the level of awareness afforded to us from our evolved cerebrums gives us the opportunity of something like choice. Do you choose to indulge in your instinctual desires or go against them and live a life of the mind. It doesn't matter. Neither is inherently more purposeful or meaningful even in the face of 'design'.

Isaac Newton died a virgin but can you really say he lived a pointless life?
>>
Chinese cartoons
>>
I live at home as a male and strive to one day live in a post-father's-death as a girl in a nice house where I can have friends over and enjoy life. That's all I want right now.
>>
>>8353896
There is always more delusions to craft.
>>
>>8353869
See >>8360813
>>
>>8360917
This is beautiful
>>
>>8362186
>We fuck, make the kid, and die
Some people don't. How do you explain that?
Sex is indeed a very very powerful drive, but it's just that- a drive. Whether it becomes an objective or reason depends on the person.

>>8362229
Not only can you not massacre every other species on the planet (bacteria, ocean dwellers and roaches say hi), but you also cannot reproduce in an asexual way- that would require abstaining from the use of male and female cells. You didn't seriously think "sexual reproduction" means fucking, did you?
Plus, the theoretical massacre of other species on the planet will cause a swift death for humanity as well (no more pollination, no more breaking down of biological materials, but before everything no more digestion). We're a capable and intelligent species, but we're not super snowflakes who lead independent existences.
>>
>>8362397

I never tied my view of "animals" to an ontological, intrinsic "meaning". As you point out I use the word simply as a reference to forms of energy and matter that happen to behave in a certain away; I.e. Reproduction

All I'm saying is that humans are referenced by that word, a point which people seem unable to grok when they talk about "our unique status as humans in the universe"

My point is that any meaning we ascribe to our lives is merely cognitive and an epiphenomenon of the design process of evolution

So one must be truly ignorant of this to sincerely claim "Newton's life had a point", in any non-arbitrary sense

There was no point. He did stuff that we appreciate 400 years later, but even that is epiphenomenal. There's no deep intrinsic meaning behind his life, or any human life.

Specific configurations of matter and energy
>>
>>8363641
> There's no deep intrinsic meaning behind his life, or any human life.

This is where I agree with you whole heartedly. Otherwise I'm not really sure what your position is. I don't really see why in the face of this meaninglessness that reproduction is somehow sacrosanct and that we must give into the idea that it is the one true and final driving force. Can you give me a concrete reason for that? I can't see why an individual can't choose to buck the trend. In fact it happens all the time. I understand that our some of our biological incentives might make a childless, sexless life painful but it is not necessarily any more pain that could be had from raising a family. Defining life as a set of biological imperatives is reductive and is as you say merely an epiphenomenon. A physical process no more or less meaningful than any other.
>>
>>8353985
I’m not sure I understand your question.
Are you suggesting it is “religion-tier” because she believes humans to be above animals, and therefore; Gods?
Maybe clarifying Rand’s belief will answer it.

She believed that the ability to reason was intrinsically different than anything that beasts possess.
Reason isn’t simply an improvement of “degrees of instinct”, it is an entirely new KIND of mental ability.
It’s not like having a bigger brain or higher IQ, but rather a new dimension of thought.

As such, humans are on a fundamentally different level than creatures simply of instinct and feeling.

I fail to see how establishing tiers amongst earthly beings could be equated to a belief in a deity.
>>
>>8362572
huh?
>>
>>8353996
hella jealous
>>
>>8353869
I could live off her ass fluids
>>
>>8364067

I see, thanks for the clarification.
Personally, I do not think of human intelligence as a fundamental new kind of mental ability. The evolutionary development of intelligence has advanced exponentially in humans, but the same basic neurological motifs that rats or mice have underlie it.

>>8363849

Thanks for the comment. Again, I never said reproduction had an intrinsic value. I take the fact it is a unifying principle of all the stuff we call "life" at face value, nothing more. value.

My metaphysical view is physicalist (as opposed to dualist) and reductionist. So I think it is silly to claim "higher purposes" like science or activism or what have you as something real or intrinsic. I want you to concede these things are merely cognitive and not tied to any ontological *thing*. They are thought patterns that are an epiphenomenon of our evolutionary position
>>
>>8353869
money and family
>>
some shade would be nice
>>
>>8353968
I have a pretty decently defined upper limit to my happiness and I hit it when I was 8 years old and have been on a downward slope since, with a brief stagnation when I was 16-17
>>
>>8353869
nothing makes me go, I just don't have the active desire to die.

I'm hoping that one day I become a great (didn't say famous) writer and composer with a great bf and an interesting life. I'll probably just die alone or starve myself to death or something. If I do die I want it to be involuntary
>>
>>8354807
>getting some sun
There is no value in "getting some sun" other than for nostalgic purposes (or to get muh vitamins)....unless you just mean "get out some"
That being said there were times (including now) where I did ALL of those things and I haven't been happy in almost a decade.
>>
>>8356091
You can understand yourself and still decide to live a happy life...assuming you were living one already. I get what you're trying to say, most of us (or all of us) can't quantify what makes us tick (both literally and on a self-satisfying level) but that doesn't mean we would kill ourselves. It probably won't help anyone though.
>>
File: rocko4.png (301KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
rocko4.png
301KB, 600x375px
>>8353869
i'm on a cocktail of psychiatric drugs to keep me from killing myself so i guess that
>>
More life.

We probably can't die anyway, so why not?
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.