[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /lit/'s opinion on JG Ballard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

What's /lit/'s opinion on JG Ballard?
>>
7/10
>>
overall i like him even though his opinion on the Japaneses is racist as hell.
>>
Interesting as fuck.
>>
very good, empire of the sun is probably the least representative work of his though
>>
>>8351745
Pretty fascinating to read in the context of his other stuff though. Read it as an autobiography and you can see where all the empty swimming pools and social collapse and aircraft came from.
>>
>>8351691
Badass so long as you don't read too much at a time. Gets kind of repetitive- - not just the themes but the plots and characters. Crash is real good.
>>
>>8352213

Reading Empire of the Sun at the moment and enjoying it, reckon I'll like Crash too?
>>
>>8351691

Really underrated. I think most people are familiar with Crash, but he really shines in his short stories.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (14KB, 194x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
14KB, 194x300px
>>8352623
Crash is really good, but High-Rise is better. He refined his thoughts on emerging technologies in the 70's more.

Pic related is quite fascinating too. Prescient.
>>
>>8351691
it's like he's the David Cronenberg of books or something
>>
Ballard annoys me.

All his books(apart from EOTS), are just convoluted metaphors. It's really really tiresome.
>>
Ive read Crash, Cocaine Nights and his worst effort (and sadly his last) Kingdom Come. Ive got some short stories of his to get through. Good author but can get repetitive.

I like to think he was the sort of guy to walk past every housing estate and proclaim how it all used to be fields.
>>
>>8352945
I really enjoyed that last thought
>>
Anybody read Concrete Island? Just finished High Rise and thought this looked like the most interesting out of his other works. Worth my time?
>>
>>8353055
Thank you
>>
His short stories are better than any of his novels
>>
>>8352838
Agree. Extreme Metaphors is Ballard as philosopher.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.