[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

recommend some non fiction books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: serveimage.jpg (1MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
1MB, 3072x2048px
recommend some non fiction books
>>
>>8345906
storm of steel- earnst junger. germans soldier story of his time in ww1. good insight to what is some of the worst fighting conditions in human history.
>>
MEIN KAMPF

I don't know if I'll get around to reading the second volume, but the first one was extremely interesting. I knew that I didn't know a whole lot about Hitler or his beliefs, but it really shows how much he and his views are distorted in the media.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." is a good summation of one of his main modes of thinking.
>>
I know this is the wrong thread to say this, but I feel like my posts never get enough exposure on this site.

Sometimes I'll put a good thirty minutes into perfecting a post, only to get one response. I end up samefagging a thread for hours in the hope of getting a second (you). Sometimes it's worth the effort and I get a stream of "excellent post" comments coming in, but sometimes I get nothing for my effort.

I haven't been saving these posts anywhere. I'm never going to have an opportunity to publish them. If I ever happen to write a good poem in the poetry thread, what's to stop someone else from just stealing it?

All in all, I don't know why I want attention and approval so badly, and I don't know why I choose to seek it here of all places. I've sunk thousands of hours into this website. For what?

Do you guys think an upvote system would improve this website? Frankly I like the way reddit allows you to quietly give feedback by hitting the up button. Even if only three people to respond, you might have twenty upvotes. Hell, I've made threads that got 300+ upvotes on reddit, it feels amazing. And if I go back I can still see them.

Not sure why I'm posting this here. Mostly because I think this thread has potential and I'm getting in on the ground floor—more exposure.
>>
>>8345906
Honestly read about Shay's rebellion for an interesting look on modern day male-dominated chinese culture
>>
>>8346153
is mein kampf in the public domain or do the proceeds go to the Hitler family?
>>
Suicide Manual

Phone book (to call suicide hotline)
>>
the bible
>>
>>8346153
Get back to /pol/, you /lit/ impostor
>>
>>8346163
I think it's probably like you said, you should use Reedit, not /lit/. I agree it's frustrating how there can be a real lack of conversation on 4chan. Then again, the anonymity gives it an extremely open and free environment which would be destroyed by most changes. My biggest complain with 4chan is that there's not really enough dialog -- like, we need a chat room or something. That's essentially what you're saying with looking for a (you). Even on an intellectual level, it's not enough just to play a chess-like game of one-post here, one-post back, waiting ages in between. You need to be able to engage with people. But I don't know of chat rooms for shit and I kind of like the anonymity of a 4chan versus some IRC or something. Chances are your posts are indeed good and helpful. Even if they are getting forgotten or no one is paying attention, it's very good for the soul to make useful replies. It benefits you even though you may not get any attention for it.
>>
>>8346201
>x ix bad, therefore I refuse to acknowledge it or learn why it is the way it is. Heaven forbid we learn from the past and use it to influence the future

muh Bayesian prior and posterior
>>
>>8346174
I don't know, I took it out from my school library.
>>
>>8346236
Haha, I was just joking. I'd be interested in reading Mein Kampf. I'm not sure that I feel his views are distorted in the media, my opinion on his views is that his actions spoke louder than any words needed to. But yeah, I could see how it would be fascinating to plumb the mind of a homicidal monster.
>>
>>8346243
The thing is that I still know he was a monster, my thoughts have not changed on that front, but in a sense I can understand where Hitler was coming from and how he justified what he did. It seems like what he did was just out of the blue and that he had an irrational hatred for Jews, which was what we often see perpetuated in the media. The reality is that the 'Jewish Question' was asked over a century before his birth, and anti-semitism was very prevalent in Europe at the time. But the book is a primary source on Hitler and basically unabridged, so you can't expect to take everything as fact. But he basically hated the Jews because he believed they were in control of most media outlets at the time, the newspapers, and they were using this influence to unfairly slander Germans. Even if this was 100% the case and there was genuinely a "Jewish Conspiracy" then there would still be a majority portion of regular every day Jewish people that had no involvement or didn't agree with those beliefs, just as not every German at that time was a Nazi and believed in Hitler's ideologies.

But the book is filled with lots of philosophical insights. An example I can think of is how Hitler is advocating reading books not to scour and memorize the content in a linear fashion, but to extract deeper meanings.

The book was written well before the second world war, and it is interesting to see how well he followed his beliefs and how he mostly accomplished what he set out to achieve
>>
>>8346270
That makes sense, I knew there was a long history of European anti-semitism and could see how Hitler's story would fit in with that history and connect and build off of it. I think on 4chan I am so used to /pol/tards not demonstrating your level of sensitivity that to some extent I flippantly reject it as a possibility (which your reply makes me realize I should change). It's also very odd to learn philosophical insights from people of despicable character, it reminds me of Blood Meridian, reading now, which seems to have some kind of similar message (i.e., in grotesque killing and monstrousness there is actually a natural order of the world simply acting out its understandable path, various interpretations, etc. etc.)

That is unusual indeed that Hitler would have followed through on his beliefs, I'm used to the current standard where politicians have everything ghost-written and are often simpleton morons.
>>
The Secret.
>>
>>8346174
Actually it only became public domain in January of this year—in Germany. As far as I know, Houghton Mifflin still has publishing rights in the US.
>>
>>8345906

War is a Racket
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.