[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how many of the books that people read just to appear smart

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

how many of the books that people read just to appear smart are actually good?
>>
>>8342535
All of them.
>>
>>8342544
Oh sure
>>
>>8342604
Most of them, to be conservative.
>>
>>8342535
In psychology, we are tought, that people will justify their readings as good as a kind of virtue signaling and in order to not face the consequences of shame when the book is actually bad: if not, it would be extremely painful.
>>
>>8342617
Just like people try to justify their useless psychology degrees.
>>
>>8342662
Haha, my goodness! I do not even have a psychology degree. I study pure maths.
>>
>>8342535
Just Infinite Jest, the rest are merely memes
>>
>>8342669
Ooops Freudian slip, I mean pure ideology.
>>
>>8342617
>virtue signaling
>>
>>8342611
What if the consensus wasn't revolved around what you do as a fucking person?

>>8342535
I think most sane people got over that phase before becoming legal adults
>>
>>8342535
If they read just to appear smart probably they will be pseud books: "On Shakespeare an movies", "Most Famous Philosophers". People reading the classics to impress plebeians gave up long time ago.
>>
>>8342617
I'm sure they're big guys.
>>
>>8342535
The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
>>
>>8342920
Nah, most people get over that at 25 when their brain finishes developing, some never do. It seems like a lot of the world lives their lives for the image they broadcast to others. It's probably less common in those who read literature however.
>>
>>8344772
I've found that a lot of well read people are quick to dismiss anything they perceive as mainstream or low literature even if they might enjoy it if they read it.

I agree being able to enjoy things without pondering how others perceive them is very freeing and I think one must strive for that.
>>
>>8344961
Yeah, you're right, even I am like that about a lot of different literature. Though I do enjoy some manga which is generally perceived as inferior or having no intellectual merit to make it worth reading among those who are well read.

I think that the only way one can truly realize their own vision in the things that they create are those who do it for themselves, and don't care whether or not their work will be successful.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.