[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I start reading more?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

How do I start reading more?
>>
Also wondering about this, I study full time 8-17, sometimes an additional 2h a day, go home, cook food, go running 3 days a week. Weekends I hang out with my gf going to the theatre or museums and stuff. I even don't own a TV and I barely manage to squeze in 30 pages a day which allows me to read like 1 book per month.
>>
Public transport is book-reading time for me (~2 hours per day). I don't take my car on purpose
>>
>>8342069
I read on the journey to and from work. Takes me 1 1/2 hrs each way on the bus so I usually get 40-50 pages a day.
>>
>>8342099
>wasting your time on cooking instead of ordering, running and gf

there, found your problems
>>
>>8342111
Same here. Too many distractions at home. The best would probably be to throw my modem out the window bit I just love shitposting too much.
>>
Step 1: Sit down
Step 2: Open a book
Step 3: Read
Step 4: Don't stop
>>
>>8342143
Step 4: stop when you want to
Step 5: do something else
Step 6: back to Step 1
>>
>>8342099
>go running 3 days a week
I had to force myself a bit to get used to audiobooks - speeding it up by 1.5 - 2 helps
>>
>>8342180
Step 7: ignore last 3 steps for your own good.
>>
Take a book with you instead of your phone when you're on the shitter.
>>
>>8342099
More Like Run away off this website, Lmao. If you know what i mean.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (49KB, 463x325px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
49KB, 463x325px
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>8342448
was gonna call you out for being a memelord with the 5 pages a day, but I can see if youre coming from nothing this can be a good step, also good tips, gj bro
>>
>>8342458
It's stale copypasta
>>
I don't even read. I buy books just to have that initial look at/flip through/rub hands all over when I get it in the mail, then on the shelf it goes and on the shelf it stays. I did the exact same thing with records and tapes when I went on /mu/. I'm worthless
>>
>>8342462

It's not stale. It's advice is always helpful and because we're getting all these "help I can't read" threads we really need it.
>>
>>8342484
jesus anon, get off your computer and pull yourself together
>>
>>8342180
Step 6 isn't a step bobo
>>
>>8342484
come now- there is still hope
>>
>>8342484
Start reading shitty page turners.
>>
Force yourself to. Instead of watching something on tv, take your book out.
>>
>>8342099
The fact that you're posting this on /lit/ means that you have enough time to read
>>
>>8343002
This
>>
Gsjstjstis
>>
Nig
>>
>>8342069
Aderall or Vivance.
>>
File: 1461765344252.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1461765344252.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
hmm idk maybe you should trying starting reading more you fucking dunce
>>
>>8346479
>start reading
>get bored
>do something else
Do you see a problem?
>>
>>8347556
Yeah the problem is that you don't like reading. Stop trying to force yourself to like something you don't to appear more "intellectual" or "cultured"
>>
I get most of my reading done at my job. Retail has its perks.
>>
>>8347718
This.

Find a book you enjoy.
>>
File: 139847.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
139847.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
It takes a while to get into the swing of things.

You're probably used to checking your smart phone, the tv or the computer. You get restless just sitting there and reading a book, feels like there are other things you can do with your time.

Eventually, when you begin to understand the merit of reading, you will learn that taking in a good book is of far more value than most of the crap you usually do in your spare time. You will start to get reading withdrawals if you've neglected a book for a while.

Stick around this community and you will learn a bit more about the history of literature and you'll enjoy conversing with others about particular books and authors.

All this thread's shitposting aside, stick at it because it will enrich your life.

All the best.
>>
>>8347758
>>8347718
So reading some pages of a book I might like and if I don't like it try something else right?
>>
>>8347787
Well give the book a chance first.

But yes, there's no shame in putting a book aside if you don't like it/aren't ready for it.

What are your interests anyway?
>>
This is a meme at this point I know but on the off chance that you're being serious.. you don't need more books in your life, you need to start loving yourself. I wish I was good at writing so this message could actually impact someone because I honestly feel sorry for you but my God. If reading isn't something you don't get excited about already then fucking don't. If you don't feel comfortable reading more than 10 pages a day then fucking don't. This is not a competition! This is about what you enjoy doing! Ahhhh!!!
>>
>>8347776
Look at this faggot and laugh at him.

You have understood nothing!
>>
>>8347826
>!
>>
>>8347805
I don't really have a preference with books from what I know
>>
>>8347826
>!
barfinganimu.jpg
>>
>>8347908
Why.jpg
>>
>>8347908
there has to be something you're interested in lad
>>
>>8347929
I'm somewhat interested in thr failures of german materialism.
>>
>>8347918
>>8347929
If I had to pinpoint something I'd say those dystopian books like 1984 and Brave New World really intrigue me the most
>>
File: 51YyUrDY7cL.jpg (46KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
51YyUrDY7cL.jpg
46KB, 331x500px
>>8347940
You might like the Divergent series.
>>
File: 1468884916001.png (356KB, 572x380px) Image search: [Google]
1468884916001.png
356KB, 572x380px
>>8347940
>1984 and Brave New World really intrigue me the most
What is this even supposed to mean, "intrigue you"? What is your problem? No time? No money?

You still haven't explained what your actual problem is here. It's one thing to ask how to make more TIME for reading or how to trudge through textbooks but... what the fuck?

"How do I start reading more?"?????

How do I start figure skating more? How do I start taking the dog out more? How do I start fapping more?

You see how your question is making daddy angry?
>>
>>8348044
That is the thing. How do I progress and read more and eventually expand to different books?
>>
>>8348066
By picking up a fucking book and reading it. Then after finishing said book you'll know slightly more about what you like and you can use that to find new books.

You seem like a complete moron.
>>
>>8348066
>That is the thing.
WHAT IS THE THING

>How do I progress and read more and eventually expand to different books?
If you were sitting next to me right now I'd hit you where it hurts. What is stopping you from reading more? Lack of time?
>>
>>8348094
Lack of motivation
>>
>>8348085
>You seem like a complete moron.
Don't be rude anon
>>
>>8348098
They deserve it. How thick do you have to be to need advice on the very act of reading a book?
>>
>>8348101
Apparently cause he lacks motivation
>>8348096
>>
>>8347940

Do Androids Dream Sheep (something like that)

A Clockwork Orange
>>
>>8347776
God that room is ugly
>>
>>8348121
lol
>>
>>8348096
Read to a certain goal. Maybe 10 pages a day. Keep it up for a week than increase to 15 or 20, then 30, and so on.

As for expanding to different books, start off with accessible books, once you finish go to another book but with a but more challenge to it, and if you wanna expand genres then pick a polar opposite of what you previously read.

All these things will eventually become second nature and you'll be wanting to read at every chance you get
>>
>>8348457
This
>>
>>8342069
burn your personal computer
>>
>>8347787
Sure. Don't force yourself to read a 1200-page Victorian novel about two penny farthing riders who engage in a tepid friendship if you don't want to

Pick up a book in the bookstore. Open it up and start reading. If you find yourself not wanting to put it down, you have a winner. There's no real other way to do it. And then you just have to give yourself over to the act of reading for stretches of time

For older novels, a love and an interest in history helps
>>
>>8347940
You should read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin and probably The Machine Stops by EM Forster if you're into dystopian
>>
>>8342448
>Read various books at the same time

Disgusting.
>>
>>8342099
Level up your gf asset into a wife asset. Then they'll gain the housekeeping trait and do all your errands and food cooking for you. The AI is kind of dumb but it's still reliable most of the time.
>>
>>8342099
>I barely manage to squeze in 30 pages a day which allows me to read like 1 book per month
Do you only read doorstoppers ?
>>
>have to reread a paragraph I've only just read
How do you stop yourself from doing this?
>>
>>8342069
Read on public transport.
I read a lot of book that way.
It wasn't even noisy,since I rode with the pensioners who did not talk,and the bus didn't have a raido.
Try reading 30 minutes before going to sleep.All tucked up in your shrine of rest.
Or,you can take away time from your computer usage.
After it becomes routine,you will read more and more.
It naturally evolves after the starting peroid.(The only time you have to force it a bit)
If this doesn't work,maybe books are not for you.
Also,stop using your phone,that can be one Hell of a timesink
>>
>>8342069
Start reading while eating.
Sneak read. Always have a book with you.
Always Be Reading.
>>
>step one
>read
>>
>>8350497
It helps break up the tension of a more difficult book. It's kind of like a light snack compared to a huge feast
>food analogies
>>
>>8342448
Thanks for the advice, friend
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.