[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What books have made you a better writer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (417KB, 900x603px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
417KB, 900x603px
What books have made you a better writer?
>>
The ones I've yet to read, because the boundless possibilities of what fits between two covers makes me want to explore for myself.
>>
>>8341535
Ghey

William Gaddis
Moby Dick
Joyce
King Lear
>>
The Lord of the Rings
Ender's Game
The Book of Sand
The Book of the New Sun
The Aleph and Other Stories
The Sound and the Fury
Dubliners

All have taught me something about writing and storytelling, whether it's what to do or what not to do.
>>
Latro in the Mist
Moby Dick
Call of the Wild
>>
Poets. Novelists who write like poets. Playwrights.
>>
Kerouac, joyce, melville, burroughs, gertrude stein
>>
>>8341535
wow... really makes you think
>>
>>8341535
Kinda makes ya think :)
>>
>Salammbo
Dat prose, doe. Not minimalistic enough for my style but Flaubert was still pretty inspiring with his descriptions of locations and clothes.

>some book from Dostoyevsky I can't fucking recall
Dem character descriptions.

>I am Zlatan
Very genuine, raw style that doesn't read like writing

>Les Miserables
>"I can actually get away with preaching compassion and forgiveness!"

>ASOIAF
>"I can actually get away with overly complicated plots nobody understands without wiki as long I make shit interesting!"

>Ulysses
>"Just because I can be pun-y and make words do funny things to show off, doesn't mean I should do it."
Also some chapters are genuine clever and just "breath", pretty impressive stuff.

>Pale Fire
>"Fuck it, what's the point of speaking four languages if I can't make multilingual puns."

>Midsummer-dream
So wacky, so playful, yet so cohesive. Probably the first story where I encountered a play inside a play too.

>The Hobbit
Well, it made me want to become a writer, which is solid start if you want become a better writer.
>>
>>8341552
Oh, forgot to mention Moby-Dick and Shakespeare's plays.
>>
>>8341606
my god, pure reddit
>>
>>8341612
>>8341540
Are you guys Muricans? Otherwise it's hard to see what causes the obsession with Moby Dick.
>>
>>8341620
Sorry, forgot to include a trigger warning for spergs.
>>
>>8341606
holy fucking shit dude
>>
>>8341626
you forgot to kill yourself

you're still in time to correct that mistake
>>
>>8341632
Good to know. How much time do I have left exactly?
>>
>>8341526
None, I was born a literary god prince.
>>
>>8341623
It really is pretty quintessentially American. Beyond that, it's beautifully written and has meditations on the passage of time and the nature of existence.

It's kind of like Proust set on a whaling ship.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.