[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this really the best? Why or why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

File: ulysses-corrected-text.jpg (2MB, 1700x2812px) Image search: [Google]
ulysses-corrected-text.jpg
2MB, 1700x2812px
Is this really the best? Why or why not?
>>
It's the best novel certainly. All components of a great novel are present while aesthetically it is unmatched.
>>
>>8340417
Such as?
>>
>>8340423
It's all there.
>>
>>8340367
The best in English, at least.
>>
>>8340456
I mean what's so great about it? What's unique about it?
>>
>>8340367
no, the "corrected" text has mistakes in it, get the 1960/61 version
>>
>>8340466
All of it
It's no Quixote (spic here) but it gets the job done
It's a beacon for books to be
>>
>>8340485
>>8340456
>all

cop-out answer. explain yourself
>>
>>8340493
It has every literary genre in existence when it was written within itself.
>>
>>8340498
Explain
>>
The better question is.. How did he manage to do it lads?
>>
>>8340540
Think of a literary genre that existed before the XX century
You'll find parallels with Homer's Oddisey and Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.
You'll find parallels with journalistic writing and mistery novels
With epistolary novels and stream of consciousness (that Joyce most definitely didn't invent)
It's all there.
>>
>>8340367
I liked the moments of attempted breaching of the language barrier and the clear desire of the author to communicate on a level beyond. The way he played with the senses to portray moments in the minds of his subjects were astounding, and he led up to them in his prior novel, portrait, where he alludes to the author being a god of his work, paring his fingernails, refining himself out of existence. you could feel in certain moments that there was no author to get in the way of what you were reading. I would suggest at least looking into proteus to see what I mean.
>>
I haven't read it yet because I suspect it's overrated bloat like Moby Dick
>>
>>8340565
you didn't like Moby Dick? why?
>>
>>8340567
because it's a solid 200 page story inflated with 600 pages of minutia.
>>
>>8340493

Ulysses was, and to my mind remains, the only novel to successfully accomplish within a literary form what we might call "post-literary" production (more commonly called postmodernism, but we'll see if we can get there). How is it able to do so? To begin, we'll have to establish some sort of formal parallel to another written genre which accomplished its own internal transcendence, what we can call an "immanent transcendence," or a transcendence which only appears external for a brief moment before reintegrating itself into the reading human consciousness. A few decades prior to this novel's accomplishment, philosophy, in the form of Marxism, accomplished precisely this through the critique of bourgeois metaphysics. By dismantling metaphysics from within, by ruthlessly transcending its own formulations in the form of a critique of its instrumentality in the maintenance of bourgeois privilege, philosophy was able to collapse the gap between the object it sought to represent and the method by which the writer aimed to represent it, here presented in the dialectical writing which characterizes Das Kapital.

Now, if that volume can be said to be re-presentation (rather than a mere "representation") of capitalism in textual form, we can say that Ulysses accomplished a re-presentation of thought. Eschewing the trappings of philosophy, Joyce was able to use fiction to capture the very process of its creation in the mind of Harold Bloom. Reading this novel, we are not shown a story unfolding, but a consciousness following threads of thought, a subjectivity experiencing its own self-alienation in the form of the voice which "narrates" its thoughts and actions, and the ways in which inebriation, humiliation, and reflection through the mirror of the other alter the way that narration (which is not, mind you subjectivity itself, but rather the process through which it is simulated) is experienced.
>>
>>8340599
Beautiful
/lit/ is truly the best board.
>>
>>8340599

but what makes Ulysses post-literary is not merely that it has accomplished this degree of verisimilitude, that it has dialectically re-presented its object, but rather that it relentlessly critiques, page after page, the very possibility of completing this project. it is the only novel to at once accomplish and make impossible its own production.
>>
>>8340588
this and you have to understand I was born and raised in New Bedford. Moby Dick was everywhere throughout my life. Every fucking school had a Moby Dick mural. So when I finally got around to reading it I expected it to blow me away after being told how great it was my entire life. I mean, my favorite screenwriter of all time recommends reading it to learn how to write a movie. My favorite film director changed his last name to Mellvile because of the book, and because of John Huston's adaptation.

I didn't enjoy it 1/10th as much as The Sea Wolf. I felt like I was wasting my time and was just trying to get it over with. In contrast to Celine's Longest Journey and Death on the Installment Plan, two other overly long novels, which I couldn't wait get back to every night.

There is one passage in Moby Dick that makes me glad I did read it though. It's the one about the girls of New Bedford and how beautiful they are and how they glow. If you knew the real stereotype about the women from here, it would make you laugh as hard as I did when reading it. But I guess thick hairy mustachiod women would excite a closeted homosexual like Herman.
>>
>>8340599

Kill yourself
>>
>>8340646
INCREDIBLY rude post
>>
>>8340654
I liked your post anon
>>
>>8340656
Do something with yourself
>>
>>8340662
I'm masturbating as we speak.
>>
>>8340599
>Harold Bloom
I'm sorry, mate. I really am. But you did it to yourself.
>>
>>8340668

Jesus Christ
>>
>>8340668
I just noticed
After the book every Bloom goes along with Leopold subconsciously
Thanks for pointing it out
>>
>>8340636
>Celine's Longest Journey

fuck me. I meant Long Day's Journey
>>
>>8340681

Stop impersonating me.
>>
>>8340687
Fuck off Harold I was the guy who said he liked your shitpost
>>
>>8340692

I don't give a fuck m8
>>
>>8340752
Edgy 1/10
>>
>>8340405
Fuck you
>>
>>8340367
No it's Finnegans Wake
>>
>>8340367
It's good for children and people with low IQ. It's actually meant to be read like a manga (pronounced mahn gah not mane guh) right to left.
>>
>>8340599
>harold bloom
his name is leopold bloom right? or am I missing something?
>>
>>8341338
http://www.amazon com/Ulysses-Manga-Classic-Readers-James/product-reviews/1935548190
>>
>>8340367
"At every fuck I gave you your shameless tongue came bursting out through your lips and if a gave you a bigger stronger fuck than usual, fat dirty farts came spluttering out of your backside. You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fucked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to fuck a farting woman when every fuck drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora’s fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also."
>>
Is it Postmodern or Post-postmodern to print out a screenshot of a snapchat as a 5x8 photo?
>>
>>8340599
garbage

I feel bad for anyone who took you seriously.
>>
>>8340456
What's up reviewbrah
>>
>>8344022
Nice b8, m8. 4/10.
>>
File: 20120616_bkp517.jpg (52KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
20120616_bkp517.jpg
52KB, 595x335px
>Marilyn Monroe read the book
You don't want to be more of a pleb than her do you?
>>
>>8340472
Go for a reproduction of the 1922 Shakespeare & Company edition, such as Dover or Oxford Classics print. It may be error riddled, but at least it's an edition that, to some degree, was accepted and known to Joyce. The Bodley Head edition is just as poorly off as Gabler's vivisected text. Newer editions are produced in order to make the academic market purchase and debate it. Avoid all of the argy-bargy and bless St Sylvia for ponying up in the first place.
>>
>>8340668
>But you did it to yourself.
and that's what really hurts.
>>
>>8344022

>anything but the most rudimentary of speculation can be accomplished in a 4chan post
>>
>>8340599
>Ulysses was, and to my mind remains, the only novel to successfully accomplish within a literary form what we might call "post-literary" production (more commonly called postmodernism, but we'll see if we can get there). How is it able to do so? To begin, we'll have to establish some sort of formal parallel to another written genre which accomplished its own internal transcendence, what we can call an "immanent transcendence," or a transcendence which only appears external for a brief moment before reintegrating itself into the reading human consciousness. A few decades prior to this novel's accomplishment, philosophy, in the form of Marxism, accomplished precisely this through the critique of bourgeois metaphysics. By dismantling metaphysics from within, by ruthlessly transcending its own formulations in the form of a critique of its instrumentality in the maintenance of bourgeois privilege, philosophy was able to collapse the gap between the object it sought to represent and the method by which the writer aimed to represent it, here presented in the dialectical writing which characterizes Das Kapital.
>Now, if that volume can be said to be re-presentation (rather than a mere "representation") of capitalism in textual form, we can say that Ulysses accomplished a re-presentation of thought. Eschewing the trappings of philosophy, Joyce was able to use fiction to capture the very process of its creation in the mind of Harold Bloom. Reading this novel, we are not shown a story unfolding, but a consciousness following threads of thought, a subjectivity experiencing its own self-alienation in the form of the voice which "narrates" its thoughts and actions, and the ways in which inebriation, humiliation, and reflection through the mirror of the other alter the way that narration (which is not, mind you subjectivity itself, but rather the process through which it is simulated) is experienced.

Woolf did it better.
>>
>>8345184
She was well read and married to fucking Arthur Miller mate.
>>
>>8340599
fucking lol
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.