[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading and the Passage of time.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: oldrrr.jpg (100KB, 616x631px) Image search: [Google]
oldrrr.jpg
100KB, 616x631px
Don't you find that, after a few years. could be one year, could be ten, the books you've read pretty much vanish from yourself? You only get a slight sensation of what it did for you at the time. If even that. I'm 34 and it's such a pity to realize that, not only I will never read all the books I'd like to because of limited time on this earth, but also because of the fact that those I've read don't become part of me or stay with me, but they vanish away, more or less slowly, until there's nothing left of them.
Some book's I've read and really liked, I remember nothing.
>>
Hmm not really. I seem to lose very little. I mean some of the stuff I read more than 10 years ago keeps coming back to my in sentences and scenarios.
>>
>>8335519
Yes, and it fucking sucks. It sometimes makes going back to material you've read before more enjoyable, but it's also very frustrating to not be able to recall all the details of books you've really enjoyed. I wouldn't say they vanish entirely for me, but in a few years I'm left with only an impression of a book, i.e. it's main points and how I generally felt about it. Feels bad, man.
>>
>>8335519
you forget the details of the book, but the way it changes you is not lost. if you read a book that makes you more aware of the finiteness of your time on the universe, and consequently, makes you a more productive person, just because you don't remember the plot of the book doesn't mean that the book has completely 'vanished,' whatever that means.

that's how i feel, anyways. its like schooling. you may not remember everything you learned but the time you spent learning can still be valuable because of the development of certain underlying principles which make you who you are today.
>>
I think I still remember a fair bit. Not as much as the books I read when I was a kid, though- there's passages from books I read 20 years ago which I can almost remember verbatim. I guess it's that whole brain plasticity thing in action. Makes me wish I'd read more back then.
>>
Write it all down then

Future you will appreciate it
>>
>>8335519
...having said that, I guess plot details do have a habit of vanishing. I tend to remember vivid parts of books, but not so much plot details. But seriously
>reading for plot
>>
>>8335609
OP here. Thanks. This is conforting and quite true
>>
Only if you read genre fiction
>>
if you think about a book youve read long ago, think about the events in it, collect/recollect them, then think again a day or two later, jump around your different remembrances of it, you might find you remember quite a bit
>>
Yes, it happens to me. I suppose it is because we were born in a generation in which memorizing is not as important as learning where to get your information.
>cursing google.
>>
>>8335519
I find I spend lots of time gazing at my bookshelf, just looking at the spines and reminiscing and sometimes taking one down to read a bit I was missing. At first I wondered what was wrong with me, to take pleasure in such an activity but I realized it is part of keeping up with my books.
>>
They all still echo.
>>
OP, is it possible that you have some sort of memory issue? I can clearly recall most things I've read since I was a child.
>>
>>8335519
This is why I don't talk about books IRL. All I can really say about some books is "Yeah, I read it a while ago, I remember enjoying it."
>>
>>8335519
I easily forget the details. But I don't forget the emotions I felt after reading even after a decade.
>>
Out of curiosity, how old are you and how many (roughly) books can you say you've read? I'm 33 and would say around 300.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.