[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best version of the bible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: bible.jpg (130KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
bible.jpg
130KB, 1200x800px
What's the best version/translation of the bible? Preferably annotated.
>>
>>8335375
For what?

There are two versions you could read, but for different reasons: KJV or NIV.

>NIV
This is the version you should skim read before you do anything, no matter what (Note: if you ignore this and jump straight into the KJV bareback, I strongly suggest Matthew Henry's commentary)

This NIV you the story in pretty easy to digest English. This is also probably the only version you need if you're a Christian looking for comfort and consolation in the text.

And in that case you should read it all. Every last word of that sweet sweet bible.

>KJV
Essential reading from a literary perspective. Doesn't matter if you're an atheist, a Jew, a Mudslime or you follow the Old Gods, you can't approach the English Canon without starting with the book of King James.

It is pretty essential reading for understanding Chaucer, Shakespeare and almost every canonical "tough old bearded man" writer - from Hemingway to Milton.

>The bible is long and cumbersome, how should I read it for literary value?

The Pentateuch (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronom), Psalms, the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) and the Book of Revelations. In that order.
>>
>>8335375
please don't listen to this idiot >>8335518

NIV is one of the worst translations. It's derisively referred to in many circles as the "Newly Invented Version." Just because it's ubiquitous doesn't mean it's good.

KJV is the most "literary"
ESV is the most literal/accurate
NLT is the most descriptive

I wouldn't suggest any version outside of those 3.
>>
>>8335375
King James with Joseph smith translation as a companion.
>>
>>8335529
>>8335518
>>8335531
i hear you, but which version is the best? kind of like when Jean-Claude Van Damme won the Bloodsport 'Kumite' tournament, he was the best. he also defeated Tong Po in an underground kickboxing match, so that makes him the double best.
>>
>>8335375
Skeptics Annotated Bible.
>>
>>8335529
>>8335518
>>8335531
>>8335568
The bible I have is the Revised Standard Edition. Is that any good?
>>
>>8335672
No
>>
>>8335636
Is that annotated?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.