[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you guys reccomend me some books on improving writing,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_-occcuw.jpg (750KB, 1920x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_-occcuw.jpg
750KB, 1920x640px
Could you guys reccomend me some books on improving writing, sentence structure ect. I have a large vocabulary but I find whenever I write anything it just is full of a lot of big words but never has any emotion behind it. Thanks lit
>>
>>8333006
Stephen King, On Writing. Also, Strunk & White.
>>
>>8333012
Thanks man, I appreciate it. do you have any general advice on writing?
>>
>>8333023
>any general advice on writing?

The most important advice is to finish what you start. Don't give up on stories halfway even if they're horrible.

The trick is to enjoy sucking, because you WILL suck at first.

If you suck for long enough eventually you'll stop sucking. And if you keep going long enough after that then you'll end up in a place one day where your work could be worth being published.

Also: read the two books I suggested.
>>
>>8333023
DO NOT TAKE STEPHEN KING'S ADVICE ON WRITING.

He's pretty obviously got no self discipline; I could take it if he were just a hack but there's whole passages and even large segments of his writing which are actually pretty good. The whole first section of Hearts in Atlantis is wonderful. Thing is he's lazy as fuck, his "strong work ethic" does not extend to introspection and improving your craft.

I think thinking about why you're writing is a good place to start. DFW said "for a long time, on a deep level, I thought the point of fiction was to demonstrate that the author was really really smart" this was true of me and I think a lot of people.

Also

Read criticism, that will help you figure out what it is that you want to say.

Technical improvement is much easier and generally comes the way everyone says it does. I'd also add that if you think your being too hard on yourself chances are you aren't.
>>
>>8333080
I'm aware of the technical errors in my comment
>>
>>8333080
>Thing is he's lazy as fuck, his "strong work ethic" does not extend to introspection and improving your craft.

Dude, what.

Let's do the math. Carrie, his first novel, was started around 1972-ish, so that's 44 years ago. In that time he's published 60 books and about 200 short stories. About 1.4 novels and 4.5 short stories PER YEAR for more than four decades.

It's fine not to like his work, but calling him "lazy as fuck" does nothing but make you look mildly retarded.

As for him improving his craft, he's won about 80 awards for his work, and he's been nominated for more than a hundred other awards.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.