[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good resources to learn how to become a good writer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 737.png (19KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
737.png
19KB, 640x480px
What are some good resources to learn how to become a good writer?
>>
Only advice in On Writing:

When in doubt, use less wording.
>>
John Gardner's Art of Fiction is one of the best starterpacks around

you'll notice lots of truth to his words t he more you practice, and his exercises are excellent
>>
>>8332646
Even though he writes genre fiction garbage, Branden Sanderson's BYU lectures do go into detail that's good for a beginner, as well as a lot of career advice and dealing with agents and publishing.
>>
>>8332646
>>8332662

I'll second On Writing.

You might also get something from Pressfield's The War of Art. And try something a bit different too, like Kundera's The Art of the Novel.
>>
>>8332646
craft books are useful because they give you a vocab/framework to exist in

Helps the light go on when you figure stuff out for yourself.

the actual advice taken as dogma or "a guide" or having style guides or some shit on your desk type of deal will just hamper you, some real tumberlina posting writer memes on instagram type ish
>>
>>8333027
this this this

Never listen to anyone who says "lol books are worthless", the truth is THEIR advice is worthless and has been proven wrong across the ages. Practice hard and learn the craft, books will definitely help you on that road since they're written by those who've walked it.
>>
>>8333027
>having style guides or some shit on your desk type of deal will just hamper you

So... fuck Strunk & White? I think almost every new author could learn a lot from a good style guide, even if they don't follow them to the letter.

Unless you're happy to wade through florid self-published shit stuffed to the gills with adverbs.
>>
>>8333062
>Don't use this part of speech--
No."
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.