[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /lit/'s opinion on Wordsworth classics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

What's /lit/'s opinion on Wordsworth classics?
>>
Tend to have flimsy covers and quite a few punctuation errors, but for how cheap they are they're decent quality and usually have good introductions, criticism and lists of further reading
>>
Just don't make the mistake of buying huge volumes like war and peace or collected Shakespeare from them. The letters are printed infinetely small.

Decent for super cheap price, but obviously not of durable quality.
>>
>>8332567
fuck, I just bought collected works of Fitzgerald

thank god it was only 1.50 dollars
>>
>>8332567
Whats a good publisher for Shakespeare? Amazon/uk pref
>>
Post-Post-Ironic Art
>>
Bad translations, tiny text in big volumes, shitty covers, end-notes instead of footnotes. I mean, for American/British classics that aren't too long and you just wanna have on your shelf, they're fine.
>>
>>8332485

The only reason I can see for owning one is for being an ironic memer that thinks god-awful book covers are funny.

Just shell out a few more shekels on ebay for a penguin edition or something.
>>
>>8332600
oxford press, pelican shakespeare, rsc
>>8332687
the covers aren't all that bad desu
>>
>>8332485
Highly pro. I own many. They're cheap, disposable and usually well foot-noted (the notes on Dickens are almost always terrific; notes on Vanity Fair were indispensable; I'd be curious how they are with Moby Dick)

Points about typographical errors are accurate, though it depends on the book (many in Martin Chuzzlewit, fewer in Bleak House, none that I saw in Huck Finn), but who really cares? They never mar the text beyond readability.

Worries about translation also well founded, but something you have to consider with all publishers and thought about on a book-by-book basis.

The covers are usually shitty, but I buy books to look at the letters inside them, not the pictures outside.

Concerns about durability are preposterous. I've read pocket-paperbacks considered shittier than Wordsworth my entire life and never had one fall apart beyond use. That includes a copy of Moby Dick that I've read at least six times and taken to three different continents. These concerns are also trumped by cheap availability - if it does manage to fall apart because you only read while under the carriage of an 18-wheel truck, you can just buy another at the next Conoco station.

The only reason to shell out a lot of money for a book is high-quality content not available elsewhere. The content of Gatsby is neither high-quality nor scarcely found. Hence, go with Wordsworth.
>>
>>8332695
Thank you.
>>
>>8332567
I did this. Threw it away instantly.

Just buy a good edition used
>>
>>8332807
I concurr with this, unless it's a book you really love, I usually buy a nicely bound hardcover.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1440x2560px)
image.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>reading Memesworth Classics

pretty pleb desu
>>
>>8332600
>>8332695
These and Arden. Bloom recs Arden.

I buy Oxford for single volumes in addition to some old complete set from ~1940.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.